Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any Tiling guys wanna share some advice?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Nov 8, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Can you use greenboard as a tile backer board? It's for a tub surround, all three walls will be like 6x5 tile. The long wall and the wet wall have cementboard as a backer, but I'd rather not add another half inch (as in cementboard) to that last wall.
    I'd read that greenboard is designed to be capable tile backer, but I dunno if that qualifies in such a damp location /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif.

Whatta y'all think?

2. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Re: Amy Tiling guys wanna share some advice?

I have been doing that kind of work for the last 9 years. We usually run the cement board about 5' up from the tub all around and then the greenboard the rest of the way. If it was mine, I would do the wonderboard all the way up. Not necessary, but gives me better piece of mind. But I would definately use it up to the height of the showerhead.

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I would say definately no on the greenboard as backerboard. It more moisture resistant but not intended for use in the shower. Just takes 1 leak and that stuff will fall apart about like regular gypsum.

Ive used Durarok (cement board) and they also have a fiberboard thats only about 1/4 or 5/16" thick thats good stuff. I know that Lowes sells the stuff, but Im not sure what its called.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

ok, thanks for the info. I remember seeing the thin backerboard now that you mention it. I'll get some of that today when I get my next 5 sheets of cementboard...BTW, that stuff SUCKS to work with. I cut a bunch of pieces last night, and today my face and hands are all dried out real bad, I guess from the alkali in the dust.

Hey Ruthven, wanna come to Long Island for some tiling? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have to do about 140 sq ft including walls and floor. I'm ok with everything except the grout... I'm afeard of putting in the grout in the shower walls...

5. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Outlaw is correct about greenboard. And the greenboard they make today is no different from regular drywall. Just has green colored paper on the outside. Inside is exactly the same. I can't believe that someone hasn't noticed that yet. Even the manufacturers are crooked these days. This is what happens when unskilled laborors take over for trained / skilled craftsmen... The mexicans that have taken over construction don't care what goes into your house and now niether do the manufacturers or inspectors or building departments. Thank you Home Depot, Lowes and whoever is letting all these illegals in to the country... Geee... I wonder who that might be????

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Home Depot and Lowes do not hire illegals. They do everything on the books, which does not make it possible to hire illegals. Not only that, go tell all the small businesses not to hire the "illegals" - who are a better value, they put in a hard day of work every day. Which is why people want to use them.

When a plumber charges 200 dollars to unclog a drain that takes 5 minutes to do... is it really worth it? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Just my opinion. Its off topic anyways.

7. landsmasher

[ QUOTE ]
    and whoever is letting all these illegals in to the country... Geee... I wonder who that might be????

[/ QUOTE ]

Ratch, I said AND whoever is letting them all in... I thank Home Depot and Lowes for running all the good commercial lumber yards out of business so that now we only have the two to pick from. They both suck... And we have to share them with a million home owners who are out "shopping". As far as who is letting all the illegals in, who might that be? It aint me.... Wonder who is responsible for that? Hmmmmm.....

OH Ya! Home Depot and Lowes is also responsible for selling us crap.... Phony crap.... Cheap plastic crap from China... Cheap plastic crap immitations of real stuff... Crap.... Including the phony green board...

Plumbers? Hate em all... Haven't found a good one yet in over 25 years.... Had to learn to do plumbing myself so the stuff wouldn't leak...

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Hey don't yell with me, I don't disagree.
    But on the green board, it is better in moisture for mold control if nothing else. I've had regular drywall get moldy quick, but greenboard in the same place doesn't. I hadn't thought of a leak if I had tiled over it, so I definately see how it would fall apart when wet like that.

We still have a couple lumberyards around here, but to be honest, I buy most of my stuff at home depot cause I go there at 9pm.

I agree, Home Depot's quality is pretty low budget. Tonight we almost left without 1/2" cement board because the stuff they had on the floor where I normally buy it was sticking together and full of efflouresence (sp?). We dropped the pile and as we were going to get the thin tile backer board, there was a pile of 1/2" Wonderboard in good condition, so we loaded up on that.

I'm going to the plumbing supply store and then the tile store in a few minutes to pick out tile and stuff... Unless the prices are totally insane, I'll probably buy from them, too.

As for illegals, I dunno. Everyone's using them for work around the house, so it's hard to point the finger at one industry or in the direction of one company. Actually, they're using immigrant day laborers, I dunno if they're illegal or not, but probably. New Yawk is pretty far north, so I dunno. Local yokel roofers use them, the masonry guy we had here years ago used them, the drywell/landscape guy we were going to use was using them, I think even our driveway guy was using them. Yuppie teenagers don't wanna work around here, so these "no hablo ingles" guys get the work because they're there.

9. landsmasher

LOL! You are too funny...

The new greenboard will not hold up to moisture as well as the old because it is nothing more than normal gypsum with green paper on it... Not the same as it used to be. I know... I'm a journeyman drywall hanger. Been doing it since 1976... Went through the apprenticeship program when I was young. "We built this city on rock and roll"... Now they build them on mariachi music... LOL!!!...

Anyways, sounds like you have it under control... Make sure your plumbing is good and you won't have to worry about it...

Later,
    Larry

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

So what was in the old green paper that made impervious to water???Cryptonite??? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Almost wish I could man! Currently out on disability and my parents have dibs on me as soon as I am better. I agree with everone here about not using the green board where it will get wet. The paper is treated to not absorb water, but if it gets wet enough it can still fall apart over time. That is why we use the wonderboard up to the height of the showerhead all around the tub/shower enclosure. Everywhere else in the bathroom we use the greenboard, regardless of if it is getting tiled or not. WHere there is not going to be tile, a good Kitchen and Bath paint works wonders for keeping down the mildew. Thay also have the additives you can put in the paint to make it mildew resistant. Good luck with it. Remember, it is all in the layout. lay out the tile right, and it should go pretty quickly with a minimum of really small pieces on the edges.

12. landsmasher

[ QUOTE ]
    So what was in the old green paper that made impervious to water???Cryptonite???

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not the paper as much as the material inside... Although the green paper is also a water resistant type. The stuff inside used to be a dark brown mixture of gypsum and some other crap that I can't remember the name of. But it was brown. Not white like the stuff is today. And the paper had a black liner on the back side where it was formed to the material inside. The new stuff doesn't.

And this is the good part. Every flood that I have seen has ruined the greenboard (old and new alike) just like it did the normal drywall. Greenboard is only RESISTANT to MOISTURE... Not water proof... Greenboard used to be used only in showers above the tile and the ceiling... Never behind the tile. That has changed some over the years depending on where you live...

I remember that we just hang greenboard to the hotmopped areas and hung over those by an inch or so. This was true for bath tubs, showers, and jacuzis... Unless otherwise specified by the plans.

And then there are a lot of track homes with no tile at all and just plastice crap. Showers and bath tubs. Well, fiberglass but still plastic crap... Ya just hang normal drywall to those things... No green at all...