Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any Tips For Buying A Used Vehicle Online

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mosesburb, Aug 22, 2003.

1. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm having a real bitch of a time trying to find a vehicle local that fits my/my wife's needs. I have located a few online, but have never bought anything beyond some insignificant ebay items before. The vehicle would need to be shipped to me from where it is at. Aside from the typical things like not being able to test drive it etc, any suggestions on what to do, what not to do??
    Thanks

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

2 tips:

1. Ask for a CK5 member whom lives nearby the vehicle you have in mind to go check it out. Offer to reimburse him/her for their time.

2. NEVER buy from an online dealership. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Especially the ones who know absolutely NOTHING about trucks that have been modified such as our trucks on this site. You should be talking to the previous owner of the vehicle to get in vital info you are seeking. The dealer knows jackshit about the vehicle since it was a trade in anyways. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. If the vehicle is a stocker, non-mofified, then it may be worth looking at, but use www.carfax.com to check out the cars history as far as accidents or major work done to it. This holds true for ANY vehicle you check out online, even the dealerships.

3. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thanks for your suggestions. I ended up scoring one, not TOO far away from home (700 miles), so I will be going in person to take posession of it and there is a K5 member nearby who will let me use his facilities to make it roadworthy/safe to my standards to get it home. Got a good price, VIN checked out good, and got (almost) exactly what I wanted.
    Thanks again,
    Nick