Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any tips for long term storage?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by outsider223, Jul 21, 2003.

1. outsider223

outsider223 1/2 ton status

I'm going to have to store my blazer for a while. Any secrets on storing a vehicle for a year or two. I plan on doing a complete rebuild/restore when I finish school, so body rot is not a huge concern. Thanks.

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

mine just sat for 6 months and all i did was chacnge the oil and she fired up first time, i (and nieghbors) were shocked, aired up the tires and good to go, as far as years go i would park it drain all the fluids (like winterizing a boat or something) disconect the battery and put it on jacks

3. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

If it's going to sit for a few years and you don't want to drain the gas, you might want to get some fuel preserver and put it in the tank to keep the gas from turning to crap.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I find usually the interior and stuff takes the worst beating. Cycling between hot and cold, wet and dry usually causes mildew and a real musty smell inside. Inside storage would be best.

If Outside a real quality tarp with no leaks over the top of the truck...then open the windows enough for ventilation. Securing the tarp can be a PITA, plus most rip eventually.

If you're gonna do a resto and the interior is decent I'd think about pulling the interior...

Rene

5. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

get the sun off it... drain the gas out of it but before you do run a heavy amount of marvel mystery oil through the carb.. then a couple of squirts in the spark plug holes
    Put it on jacks remove the tires to storage
    strip the interior tarp it
    the military has numerous specs on long term storage... you might try a search on one of those sites if you are thinking like years
    mine has been inside for several years without a problem// 0f course its hot and dry here

6. outsider223

outsider223 1/2 ton status

Right now the plan is to store it at my uncles farm in a machine shed. I'm putting the crappy tires on it from when I bought it, because the machine shed has a dirt floor.

It gets pretty cold in the winter, should I take out the battery? Also, there are a lot of animals (mice and cats) that I'd like to keep out. Any suggestions on anti-animal ideas?

Thanks

7. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

pepper sauce keeps animals out...definately take the battery out...if you dont it wont be any good when you go to get the truck anyways..

8. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Like they said, if you like the interior, strip it out. You will not be able to keep the mice out. They will make a nest everywhere.

Definately cover it up then, cuz 2 years of bird crap would be nasty....

9. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Don't drain the gas tank. You want to fill it up completely and add stabilizer to it.That will keep it from rusting and creating a bunch of crap in it when you drag the truck back out.

10. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

I let my sub set for over a year and all i did was change the oil and it fired right up after a bit of cranking.had about a half tank of gas in it and still ran fine on that gas. after that tank ran out i just replaced my fuel filter and called it good.by the way the truck was in a shed with temps outside ranging from -20 to 90+ degrees.