Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any tips for removing MileMarker Selectro hubs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steelsoldiers, Feb 3, 2004.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to get the hubs off of that Marmon-Herrington axle I got the other day. I have the knob off, the 8 hub bolts, the spring and the splined hub connector. How in the heck am I supposed to get the hub body out of the wheel hub. The hub body is aluminum and the wheel hub is steel. I think they corroded together or something because I have whacked on it a good bit and it won't budge. Am I missing something here?

[​IMG]

2. steelsoldiers

Anyone?? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I'd really like to get them off tonight so I can see what the rest of the internals look like. Thanks.

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Nothing to offer but a BTT. Let us know when you find the answer.

4. steelsoldiers

Thanks for the BTT /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I am going to call MileMarker and see if they can suggest anything or send me a manual or something /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif That sucker is froze in there tight /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I got this off another webpage, hope it helps:

To remove the Selectro hub you will need to use a small phillips screwdriver and remove the 3 small set screws that are spaced around the circumference of the "knob". Pull out on the "knob" and it will come right off. Now you can see the end of the outer axle where it comes through the base of the "lockout". A snap ring probably should be on the end of this axle but in some cases the previous owner has not reinstalled it. Remove this snap ring. The base of the "lockout" is held on by 6 bolts or studs, most have the bolts but I prefer the studs. Remove all 6 of these fasteners. You can now pull out on the "lockout" and it will come off. That is all there is to removing the "lockout". You will notice there are two smooth dowels that extend out from the hub. These dowels help align the lockout to the hub and also help bear the torque transfer from the axle to the hub. In lots of cases these dowels will be broken, you will need to try and remove the broken pieces and replace with new ones. If they do not come out with a little work you may have to take the hub to a machine shop and have them milled out.

6. steelsoldiers

Hey thanks tazz! Looks like I have taken all the important steps to remove the hub already /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Now I just need to keep heating and oiling it until it comes off. I am afraid I am going to bust the dang thing though. The biggest problem is that the aluminum body of the hub sits down flush inside the steel wheel hub so there is no way to get in there and pry it out. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif