Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any tips on changing a transmission seal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigkennye, Mar 12, 2006.

1. bigkennye

bigkennye Registered Member

O.K. This afternoon i will start the transmission seal change. I crawled up under it last night and removed the torque converter cover, threw in a quart of tranny fluid, and started it up, soon as i started it up, out came the fluid. I shut it down, took a look and fluid was just running out of the center of where the torque converter connects to the transmission. I wonder if that damn metal spring looking thing on the seal came off? oh well i bought the seal, the fluid, filter, gasket and I am just wondering if anyone has any time saving tips. BTW,do you guys think i should replace the rear oil seal too while i have the tranny off? and how do i put pics of my blazer up?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  2. francis

francis Registered Member

I crawled up under it last night and removed the torque converter cover, threw in a quart of tranny fluid,

you put tranny fluid in the shield:confused: did you just have the trans built or have some things added to the trans i.e. shift kit? the reason that "that damn spring" is on the seal is to help keep the seal from blowing out. the 700r4 and 4l80e are bad about blowing the seal after a rebuild. what happens is the clearences and internal seal leaks get fixed and it bumps up the preasure. so what you have to do is take the front pump out and drill the hole that is right behind the front seal to 1/4 inch. best let a pro. do it. you do have to take the trans out though to do it:( is your truck two or four wheel drive?

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the best way to go about replacing the front tran seal is to slide the case and tranny back as a bolted together unit,

pull the driveshafts and linkage and slide them back on studs 3/8" by about 10" long threaded into the engine block so you can slide the trans back on them and then pull the converter out and pull the seal out and put the new one in and then put the converter back in and then slide the trand and case forward back up to the engine again on the studs, and put bolts all back in

good luck

4. bigkennye

good advice

That sounded like a really good idea, unfortunately once i got the drive shafts off and cleaned up, i realized i need atleast one u-joint. Then once I got the transmission pan off, inside were metal shavings, not a good sign. I am going to cut the exhaust off, time to slap some headers and straight pipes on. Kind of sucks though because the previous owner had a cat back flowmaster on there, and it is still in good shape. Transfer case seemed to have fresh fluid in it, not bad for sitting so long. I am just bummed that it looks like the tranny is shot.:doah:I am just glad the weather was nice and I was able to get out there and pull some stuff apart, and I will have tomarrow also. I got some ideas, but I cant afford everything I want to do, I need a welder and some practice. I might do a lift while I got everything apart, I wish I could afford some 4" springs and all new poly bushings and u joints right now.:weld: :grind: :hack: :k5: My summer is planned out already.

5. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

All transmission will have some metal in the pan from normal wear. If it is about like a grain of sand or bigger then you have a problem. If it is real fine like flour then it is normal(in moderation). If there is nothing bigger than a grain of course sand then I would clean the pan change the screen and fix the seal. A little bit of work to save a lot of money. I don't like doing things twice but then again I don't throw money out the window either. Good Luck

6. bigkennye

nah, there was a couple chunks of metal, bigger than sand and a definate piece of something. I have learned that beside the BFH, (big f____g hammer) A cordless sawz-all is :hack: a necessary and must have tool. thanks for all the help and tips people.