Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any tips on these changes?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WakeBoard&4X4er, Aug 21, 2001.

1. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

This weekend I am going to change my Tranny fluid, tranny filter, U-joints, and Diff fluid is there any hints for better ways to do these things. This will be the first time for me to do all these and would like some pointers. The main thing that I know you want to do is set the E-break when pulling the drive shaft out, right Klunky!?! This way I do not get ran over by my own truck.
    Any points will be appreciated.

700r4, stock 10 bolt, stock drive shaft

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Don't just rely on yer E-brake, Chock those wheels!

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

3. WakeBoard&4X4er

I know it was a joke for a some one.

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Several drip pans, and rags are essential if this is your first change. Usually gets a little messy until you figure out better ways to do it. Also what kind of tools are you going to use to change your u-joints?

There is a Right way, a Wrong way, and then there is My way. The latter is usually the most fun! [​IMG]

5. WakeBoard&4X4er

no idea, was planning on a hammer and wood blocks and needle-nose pliers. I do not have much of a working space since i live in a town house

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I'm going to punch you.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. WakeBoard&4X4er

LOL! I think i heard your alarm last night, Did some one brake into your K5?

8. WakeBoard&4X4er

Re: Any tips on these changes? *DELETED*

Post deleted by WakeBoard&4X4er

9. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I don't think that running the engine until the tranny is out of fluid is a good idea. If you want to flush out all the tranny fluid then go to some place that will do it correctly (I think it's only $35 but someone who has done this can tell you better). Also don't reuse the old gasket, spend the extra $5 and put in a new gasket. Lastly, I'm not sure if it's the same as 120 in/lbs but I think the manual says to tighten the pan bolts to 15-20 ft/lbs.

10. WakeBoard&4X4er

I just got that info off a WWW page. I did not know what ou all would think about it.

11. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

don't do it that way. and yes when you replace the fluid go ahead and replace the filter in the tranny and every filter i've bought came with the gasket. carefully drop the pan on the trannie since there isn't a drain plug and pour the old fluid out. pull the old filter out and make sure that the o-ring comes out with it. then put in the new filter and gasket (which should come with the new filter) and put the pan back on and it is only 15-20 lbs of torque you don't want to stripe out the alluminum case or if you don't have a torque wrench and the exact specs, tighten it until the gasket starts to bulg(sp?) out the sides. it will stick out a little but when you see it start to look like it is oozing out(for lack of a better descriptive term) stop. then just dump fluid down the dipstick tube on top.

just a note i've never heard of draining the torque converter while it was in the truck.

or pay some one to do a power flush and filter which shouldn't be that expensive.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 88streetblaze on 08/21/01 02:40 PM.</FONT></P>

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah definitely not a good idea...all the other internals that are turning are higher than the fluid level at that point (pump for examble is at teh same height as crank centerline, filter for tranny is much lower)

If you have one of those "jackrabbit" hand pumps, you can stick the hose down the tranny dipstick tube, and suck out a lot of fluid that way. Will help you avoid the "Dexron Shower" (tm) you get from dropping pans with no drain plug.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

13. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Since you have a 700R4, unless you are the original owner and know that the fluid was changed at the proper intervals, don't do it. You can do more harm than good by changing the fluid. As long as the fluid is not burnt, keep it full and leave it alone.

Derf00

"A WISE MONKEY NEVER MONKEYS WITH ANOTHER MONKEY'S MONKEY."

14. WakeBoard&4X4er

what is that?? I think that changing would be better?

15. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

He's right. If it's an old tranny and the fluid hasn't been changed in a long time, then adding new fluid will destroy it. It happend to me 300 miles from home. The deturgant will eat the clutches. Maybe someone will come along and explain it better. But this was in a TH350 and I did a tranny service on it just before I left for a 500 mile journey and about 300 miles away from home it took a dump. The mechanic came out and the first thing he asked was if the fluid had just been changed.
    He said that on an old tranny that hasn't had the fluid changed regularly that changing the fluid is worse on it than leaving the old fluid in and just keeping it topped off until I can get around to rebuilding the tranny. If you can get with the owner, tell him this and ask if he changed it regularly.

It's been lovely, but I have to scream now.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

16. WakeBoard&4X4er

On thing that i know is that there is drain that was added to the pan? I did not think that it was stock but i do not know. The tranny has 92k on it, and the fluid is real red, i saw some when i was changing the Rad. It is a 700r4 if that makes any diff. with what looks like a drain in the pan.
    I am confused now?

17. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Muddin explained it right. My advise, based upon what you have said is leave it alone. I have talked to several 700R4 rebbuilders who were emphatic about leaving it alone if the fluid is red as you described and keep it full.

Derf00

"A WISE MONKEY NEVER MONKEYS WITH ANOTHER MONKEY'S MONKEY."

18. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

More than likely it's been changed recently (since you say it's bright red). I wouldn't change it. Keep an eye on the color and how many miles you've put on it. If you can put about 1000 miles on it, then I'll bet the tranny will be fine.
    He could have changed it regularly (which I would be inclined to think since there is a drain plug on it), or he could have neglected it and then changed it before he sold it.
    I think you should just keep it topped off and watch the color closely and if you put 1000 miles on it and the tranny is still acting good, then I would think he took care of the tranny and you'll be fine. [​IMG]

It's been lovely, but I have to scream now.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

19. WakeBoard&4X4er

Well thanks. I guess that i will not be doing any tranny work this weekend.