Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any tire experts ???

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Z3PR, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

How much difference from a 235/45R17 from a 245/45R17 ??? I'm trying to decide on the tires for my 78 Elky. Currently the suspension is all stock, but in the somewhat near future the front end will get 2" drop spindals. The rear will stay at stock hight.

2. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Thanks, that helped alot. Looks like the 245/45R17's would be the better choice.

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

245-45-17 is what new style mustang GT's have stock.. a 235/45 would be skinnier with less sidewall.. aka LESS traction..

5. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure how much room you have on the elky, but the 235's are about all I can get to fit on the Malibu, there isn't room to go any wider than that on my car without modification or a change in backspacing. As my Malibu sit right now I can't get a finger between the tire and inside of the federwell at the closest point.

I've heard of guys with MC's getting 245's to fit but they had to use a different backspacing on the rear rims and couldn't rotate them out with the fronts.

And with the 235's in front I can not turn lock to lock without serious rubbing on the swaybar. 245's will be much worse. I have a 1.5" front drop with the springs and no other clearance problems, just the sway bar issue which isn't that big of a deal unless I'm in a tight spot, then it occasionally stalls due to the increased resistance on the ps pump and a crappy engine. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm not sure how much room you have on the elky, but the 235's are about all I can get to fit on the Malibu, there isn't room to go any wider than that on my car without modification or a change in backspacing. As my Malibu sit right now I can't get a finger between the tire and inside of the federwell at the closest point.

I've heard of guys with MC's getting 245's to fit but they had to use a different backspacing on the rear rims and couldn't rotate them out with the fronts.

And with the 235's in front I can not turn lock to lock without serious rubbing on the swaybar. 245's will be much worse. I have a 1.5" front drop with the springs and no other clearance problems, just the sway bar issue which isn't that big of a deal unless I'm in a tight spot, then it occasionally stalls due to the increased resistance on the ps pump and a crappy engine. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ] So I need to use 235's then. I'm getting confuced. I was planning on using 17x8's with 4" or 4.5" backspacing. I'll need to be able to rotate the tires like any other normaly driven street vehicle.

7. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I'd suggest surfing some of the Monte Carlo SSweb rings to get the best answer.
    I can see 245's working with a slightly different backspacing. I'm not sure what BS my rims have but they are stock Camaro rims.

I've gotten a ton of info from these guys: MCSS.com

Check the technical section, there is a lot of info on the tire sizes and how to make different stuff work.
    The MC SS should be the same in the rear as an elky because your worring about frame to tire clearence in the rear.
    The sway bar issue really isn't an issue for daily driving, I just have a tight lot to park in and I always back in so I hit mine everytime I drive but it just rubs and causes no damage.

I found a guy usung 275's on his MC and he showed the BS and adapter needed to pull it off, so 245's shouldn't be that big a deal, plus they would look sweet!