Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any tranny mechanics in the house??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88GLAZER, Apr 25, 2004.

1. 88GLAZER

88GLAZER 1/2 ton status

My best friend and I tackled the project of rebuilding his AX5 tranny in his jeep. We were told that it wouldnt be that difficult. Well we were in over our heads. I was wouldering were I could find a step by step manual to complete the rebuild. Having trouble getting 5th gear off the shaft, and the retainer or whatever you call it off the other end. WE NEED MAJOR HELP, eventhough it is a jeep. This is his DD too!

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

not 2b a jerk off, but if i DON'T KNOW WHAT IS, I DON'T SCREW WITH IT!!! auto trannies best left to trained people, too much crap to go wrong. good luck /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gifsorry guys, Isaw the ax, and immediatly thought axod the slush box my mistake /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

3. 88GLAZER

88GLAZER 1/2 ton status

We honestly diddnt think it would be that hard. I guess I watched to many episodes of Shadetree mechanics.

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    auto trannies best left to trained people, too much crap to go wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

AX5 = 5 speed manual /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

5. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I guess I watched to many episodes of Shadetree mechanics.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Its time to go to a j**p expert. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not many jeep people here. I'd reccomend getting an ATSG manual specific to that transmission. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Those walked me through a couple auto tranny rebuilds and taught me a lot.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you'v got a library near by, call and ask if they have the factory service manual for whatever year/vehicle that tranny came out of.

From what I've seen ALL aftermarket manuals are essentially dumbed down/cutup factory manuals, condensed to cover more years than they should.

8. bgchvy79

bgchvy79 1/2 ton status

I'd recommend gettin' on the jeep part of the forum on pirate 4x4, but be sure and search for what you're looking for first, or they'll eat you alive /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I think I have done one or so in the past, but dont remember a thing about it. Why dont you just take it to a shop to finish/start it?