Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any trick trailer ideas out there?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Storm Trooper, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I just bought a new trailer but as most of you know, they only make them so wide. My tires will hang off about 3 inches on each side. I was going to weld up some plates with channel to fit into the stake pockets and on the wheel wells so I can go over them without damaging them but I thought I would ask everyone if they had any other ideas.
    So, do you have a better idea?
    Also, Do you use D-rings on the outside corners or have some floor mounted ones? (pros & cons of each). I'm going to strap the axles down and the body to take out some of the suspension movement.
    Thanks /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

As far as the mounting points go, you can always go look at other trailers and look at what they are using. The wideth thing can be eliminated (or somewhat eliminated) by just finding some stock sized tires and wheels, put them on your rig when loading it, and carrying your good ones and when you get to where your going, change tires (thats what we do with my dads mud racer).

3. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I'm making a trailer in about a month, just picked up the two 7000lb. axles last week /forums/images/icons/smile.gif My plan is to build extensions past the main frame for the tires, kind of like your idea. Probably no more than 3 or 4 inches or until they extend out to the fenders. I'll probably use channel or tube and brace it against the main frame.

Small tires are ok too, it's just something else to keep up with though. And I think changing tires every time you wanted to hit the trails would be a total PITA, those swampers ain't light.

I personally like d-rings on the outside corners because I'm using a wood floor.

4. Storm Trooper

Sounds heavy duty. Wish I had the equip. to make my own.
    As for the tire changing thing....no way! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif 38.5 w/beedlocks are too heavy to mess with and would be a major PITA.
    Hell, I even bought some tools just for the truck because I'm sick of switching them all the time. Looks like I'll be doing it like I planned unless someone has a better idea.

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

How wide is your deck? THe limit is 82" or 83".. My Jimmy just squeezed between the fenders of one of these...

6. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I really had no other choice on the trailer but to build one. Most of the car haulers I could find were $2000+ and only rated 6000 GAWR. But, when you subtract the weight of the trailer (1000-1500 lbs.) then you can only haul between 4500 and 5000 lbs based on the GAWR. My blazer and extra gas and tools will be pushing a standard car hauler to it's max everytime. That's why I wanted to go with a trailer that would have a 10,000 + GAWR. I just want it to last and be able to take abuse and spend half of what a new one from the local guys would cost /forums/images/icons/smile.gif .

As for the deck, the law says "legal width is 102". Tandem max load is 34,000 without a permit. The deck can extend out to the fenders or over the tires (flatbeds and 5th wheels) as long as you don't exceed the 102" limit.

BIGJ

7. steve_sm1

steve_sm1 Registered Member

I have an 8ft x 18ft deck over at 8000 gvw's my burb with 35's fits no problem

8. Storm Trooper

The outside edge of my front tires is 85" and the space between the fenders is 79". I just took it to Denver a couple hours ago so my brother could fab up a ramp at the wheel wells and reinforce the fenders. BigJ, I totally understand but I did find a new one 10K and really nice for $2,250. After the fab work, it should kick butt. We are welding on D rings and I may put a tool box in the front.
    Who knows. I was going to weld the D rings just about a foot out from there straight center on the axles. This will be one hell of a pull with my 460 Hord. Might need NOS. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

9. sidslc

sidslc Registered Member

I had a trailer coustom made. Its 12k lbs and it was made so I can drive over the wheel wells. it has a dove tail that is 6 in lower at the back and the back corners have jack stands so that when I pull up on it dosent lift the back of the tow vehicle of the ground. I havent tried it yet but I think that I could drive right up on it with the 42 in TSL's. I tie the axles to the d rings from front to rear with 10k 4 in wide straps and then suck the bumpers doun with som smaller straps to take all the bounce out of the suspension of the blazer. Works great. Ill show ya at BB02.

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Make the deck extensions like you said and then see how hard it would be to make the fenders removable. Take them off to load then put them back on and a couple of pins to lock them on. Make a stake pocket set up. LOTS of trailers are built that way. When you make the bed extensions I would put a lip on the edge so the truck couldn't slide sideways off the edge. I have heard of that happening before and it's not pretty when all of a sudden you hit a big bump and the truck drops a tire off the trailer and starts dragging it.

11. dogman

dogman 1/2 ton status

My ratchet straps have a 1/4" thick Flat hook on each end.
    On my trailer in approx center line of the wheel runners, on the trailer front L beam.
    I drilled a slot big enough to pass the hook threw.
    Hook threw the slot around the seat of the L beam.
    At the back, on the metel deck I drilled a slot long enough to pass the hook threw.
    and hook one of the crossmembers on the under side.

<font color="orange">dogman </font color>

12. Storm Trooper

Thanks dogman for the picture and I did get it. Kinda big 3150K but no problem. I see what you mean but the straps I have do not have that big of a end and my deck is 2x6 not metal. I could still use the L - cross beams but I already bought weld on D-rings. It's a good Idea though and thanks again.
    I will get it done and see how well it works.
    Grim, I also get what your saying and that is a good idea.
    I'm kinda parinoid &lt;sp&gt; when it comes to stuff like that so I usually over do everything...extra straps, chians, video carmera to watch the truck (J/K) /forums/images/icons/wink.gif . I really do like to know that the trucks tied down good and if anything is going to wreck it, it will be me doing something while wheel'in. Thanks for the input.
    I hope my hitch is this strong........
    [​IMG]
    /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

13. dogman

dogman 1/2 ton status

14. Storm Trooper

Oh, those straps look really close to the ones I got except mine have the axle loop built in.
    OK, I'll keep the idea in mind. Thanks

15. dogman

dogman 1/2 ton status

so do mine have a ring clip and a sleeve to protect the strap.
    did you check the price!
    looks like a real good deal for a complete set, I paid more and got less.
    that set looks like it may be both.
    It looks like they may be more universal.
    I usually have the jeep on the trailer, but some times I may move Ryans Blazer.
    or the VW needs a ride. That seems like a way to get more ajustment out of the set.
    I like your Idea to get more width by extending the sides, show us the Fabricated rails; pic?

<font color="orange">dogman </font color>/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

good reason to cross chain it in that story.

17. Storm Trooper

18. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Looks damm good. I just made fenders out of steel and drive over mine and let the truck hang off the trailer a little.
    After looking at what you did makes me re-think the whole thing.. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

19. dogman

dogman 1/2 ton status

Good Job!! your all loaded up and ready to go.
    Thanks for the look!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    ALOT OF GOOD IDEAS ARE POSTED HERE
    to quote the Grim Reaper above^
    "When you make the bed extensions I would put a lip on the edge so the truck couldn't slide sideways off the edge. I have heard of that happening before and it's not pretty when all of a sudden you hit a big bump and the truck drops a tire off the trailer and starts "

Have a safe trip, take it easy, leave an extra distance to stop the weight.

<font color="orange">dogman </font color>

20. Storm Trooper

You'll see it next week! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif