Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any tricks for tightening p/s belt

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 6.2Blazer, May 14, 2003.

1. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Does anybody have any tip, tricks, or neat tools to use for tightening the p/s belt on the 6.2's???

I have been plagued by squealing belts for awhile and just can't seem to get them tight enough. There is no really good place to pry on it, and even if you can it seems difficult to get slide on both sets of slots (slot on front of engine is horizontal and slot towards fender is vertical, I have been loosening the rear bottom bracket).

2. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Its a pain in the ass to get it tight. i found that if you go form under neeth there is a nut type thing on a bracket that is designed to put tension on the belt. It's such a pain I have obtained a serpintine setup i want to put on.
    Anyone else.
    rugger

3. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

How many belts do you have on your PS pump pulley?

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

My truck has the factory A/C so there are two grooves on the p/s pump pulley. I do not currently have the A/C belt on but didn't think it really provides much pull to the p/s pump.

5. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I do not currently have the A/C belt on but didn't think it really provides much pull to the p/s pump.

[/ QUOTE ] Put another belt on, it makes all the difference, mine sounds horribly with just one.

6. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

Mine was hard to do also. A helper is nice. On the underside on the back of the p/s bracket there's a square cut out for a 1/2" drive ratchet. Use a 2-3" extension with a breaker bar and have someone pull it tight while you tighten the bolts/nuts from the top. If you work solo like I do...I tied a ratchet strap the end if the handle of the bar and ratcheted it to the frame rail or leaf spring. This sounds kinda crazy but i learned this after I ruined my first p/s resovoir(sp?) by prying a little too much. And you should put a QUALITY belt (Gates) on. No house brand crap. Hope this helps-Russell

7. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I agree with Tybee. Put the second belt on, and your problems will go away.

Casey

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I didn't notice a cut out last time I had the pump out (wasn't really looking for it either) but I will take a look again this evening.

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I guess my thought that the A/C belt really wouldn't help is because it only runs on a very small part of the p/s pump pulley, basically just redirecting the belt towards the A/C.....but I will try putting it back on if I don't have any other luck.

10. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Having the second belt on makes all the difference in the world actually, thats why I asked how many belts you were running.

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I'll slap the A/C belt on tonight and see what happens. How are non-A/C vehicles set up?

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My PS pump runs a single pulley and one belt down to the crank. If your belt is constantly squealing it's probably glazed from slipping which makes curing the problem more difficult. Try a new belt and tighten it properly and it should be fine. Mine doesn't slip or squeal, which is a good thing because I don't have the option to install a second belt.

Rene

13. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Once I get the one belt tight it's not a problem, it's just a pain to get it tight enough especially by yourself.

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Found a couple of 6.2's in a junkyard this weekend and checked out the powersteering setups. One was in a van and one in probably a mid-80's Sub. The p/s pump pulleys appeared to be the same between those two, but different than the on in my '90.

My factory '90 p/s pulley has different diameters for the two belts with the one for the A/C larger. The crank pulley is then correspondingly larger. Both of the ones at the junkyard had the same diameter for both of the belts on the pump (along with the crank pulley).

I'm sure this pulley would work but I obviously wouldn't be able to run the A/C also (not currently hooked up but might be converted to air compressor down the road)........unless I change the crank pulley also.

Anybody have any comments.

15. marcus

marcus Registered Member

If it's any help, I've also heard that using s fine grade sandpaper to clean up the pulley groove on the pump before installing a new belt can help....

I have the smae problem though, I'll try putting the AC belt back on...