Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any tricks to installing np203?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Terminaltsi, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Terminaltsi

Terminaltsi Registered Member

well i got the old one out, my new one however weighs 250+ pounds it seems like, 3 people couldn't get this thing up. we tried a jack, rope, etc.

any tricks?

2. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

If you can, rent a transmission jack. It makes it MUCH easier. Most places I've gone to will rent them for a half day - more than enough time. The aggravation you save will more than pay for it.

3. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

ill tell you tomorrow i am leavig work in 4 min to go home and put my tranny then the 203 'man the sucker is heavy'. i made the mistake of taking the 203 and tranny out at one time . not going to do that again. ill tell ya how it goes

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Well, I am an "expert" at putting 203's in by myself. I have put 5 in my truck in the last year! First, you need a jack that is adjustable front to back and side to side. They are a real prick to get to sit level. On the tranny jack that I use I put a piece of plywood on top of it because of the size/shape of the 203. Once you get it up there adjust the jack front/back/side/side so that the bolt holes line up and the input shaft is at the EXACT same angle as the output on the tranny. Then just slide it on. On mine I have to put a come along on the passenger side exhaust pipe and pull it out of the way.
    The last one I did I took one out and put new one in, driving truck in about 3 hours.
    I believe that they are around 230lbs.
    Also make sure that you have the right style 203. There are different input shaft's as well as different style yokes for the front driveline (at least 3)

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    well i got the old one out, my new one however weighs 250+ pounds it seems like, 3 people couldn't get this thing up. we tried a jack, rope, etc.

any tricks?

[/ QUOTE ]

there is one more way which is a little time consuming but can be done by one man almost effortlessly.
    Get 4 all threads put one nut on the top of each through the frame holes have the 203 on its cross member you can get under the threads and up a little with the help of a jack to get a nut under the cross member, and then it's tightening the lower nuts until it's close enough so you can engage it on the trans.
    I haven't done it this way but I know some guys that did and they say it saved them a lot of hassle.
    I know that you should have the tranny tilting down a little so it's possible to swing both the tcase and the tranny ends up to engage since the T case is in the right place so it can not go straight up.
    If this is not clear enough I will try to explain it differently.

6. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I don't think that will work because on a TH350/203 the adapter/x member mount bolts to the tranny from the inside...so there is no way to put the adapter on the tcase and mount it to the crossmember and then mount it to the tranny. The adapter has to be on the tranny first. Does that make any sense or am I just rambling...?

7. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

By far the easiest way to install a 203 with or without the tranny attached is to use a cherry picker, open the passenger side door, insert the lift arm thru the open door, drop your chain down thru the transfer case shifter hole, attach chain to the "iron" you need to lift, jack it up to the proper level and bolt her in!! Easy!!!

8. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Amen to what Ken said. I'm getting ready to do the old picker in the door trick as well. Unfortunately, it is designed to drop both the tranny and the Tcase at the same time, other wise you can't get the chain in the right place. Grim Reaper has a jig he built that bolts to a standard floor jack. I used to have a picture of it, but the link is now gone.

LINK TO ECHOBIT ARTICLE

Look at the bottom of that article, you'll see Mike's comments on the whole deal.

9. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

flip the truck upside down, and set the t-case in /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif