Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any tricks to removing/replacing the rear window in a '74 and '82 PU?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dontoe, Oct 3, 2006.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I wanna install the rear sliding glass from a '82 PU to a '74 PU. Any info would be appreciated!! :o

2. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

It's really easy. I was scared at first too, I could see myself breaking some glass. But I just took a screwdriver / puty knife and pushed the weather stripping out. I was inside the truck and pushed the weather stripping towards the outside (back of the truck). Then just did the opposite to install the slider. I don't know is this is the "proper" method, but it worked for me.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yup...

It's harder to remove the windows, than put them back in,in my opinion..

I just did like B to C said--push out the rubber and get it started,and spray it with soapy water to make it easier to slide out..Ivory Liquid dishwashing soap works great..you'll have to push on the glass some to get it to come out of the rubber..be gentle!..

I use a peice of speaker wire or thin nylon cord (like a lawnmower pull starter rope) wrapped around the inner groove of the window gasket to pull the rubber back in place ,after setting the bottom of it onto the cab's pinchweld,and getting it started..having 2 sets of hands can help..:crazy:

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

2 sets of hands are a must.

solid windows are VERY delicate.

as for lubrication, use aerosol window cleaner, and soak it good. wont leave a residue like the soap will.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

6. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Didn't know how similar the windshield and sliding rear would be, I searched and read a lot............nothing I found dealt with the rear. Thanks though............I'll use soapy water and get someone to help hold it! :laugh: