Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any Volunteer or full time....................

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by conoverbandit, Jun 13, 2004.

1. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

Fireman on the board? I had some questions about firefighting in general and just wanted to know if we have any.I have applied at my local station under volunteer status, they haven't told me anything yet, still waiting.
    I have no firefighting experience other than the annual "extingusher" training at the shop. (yea I know /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif)I'm kinda "bored" with life and want to do something to help my community, and be able to look back in later years and say I did something important. It's something I've pretty much always wanted to try and do, but have always been so busy I've never had "the time" to volunteer in that way.But hopefully in the near future, the wife will be employed-she is almost graduated EMT-b, has alreay applied for Paramedic classes.When she get's a job, I can quit my second job and have more time to do this.Just wonder what it's like? is it a adrenalin rush thing? or something like that? We don't have any great big buildings here in town(3-4 stories max) I think, the fact I don't really like heights is going to play potential problem for me, but I hope it's one of the "fears" I can handle and defeat. Anywho, just kinda want to know what it's like to roll up on a structural fire and go inside.... or vehicle.Thanks,

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

i dont have any answers for you, but in case a vol fireman pipes up, heres something i been wondering, what traffic laws (speed redlights etc) do vol fire have to obey? Ive had em come flashin by me at 90 in a 45 and then seen others putting along by themselves at 45 in a 45.

3. conoverbandit

That's funny you should mention that. I did set in on a meeting when I put in my app. and the previous meeting they had a State trooper to come and give everyone guidelines and rules for this, it's pretty much you have to obey all traffic laws.even stopping for a red light, the only thing that light in the dash does is ask for the right of way. From what I understand, I did discuss this with a volunteer friend of mine, and he said that the police usually "give you" 20 over but not no more then that, because of the no siren thing, you can't warn ahead of you as to your approach.This is my take on it from what I got at that meeting, maybe some volunteer's can tell us.

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

no siren you say? At one time friend of mine was going to be vol fireman, so i was lookin at lights and crap 4 him ,found a 140db siren haha, strap that on there and see what happens.

5. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i am a full time professional fireman for the city of memphis, tn. here are some of your answers according to how it works here.

running into a burning building is a rush like no other. u can say i am crazy if u like.

being scared of hieghts could hurt u. u will have to be on a roof or a ladder sometime during your career, so u will need to over come it. when i came through fire academy we did a drill called the church raise. a church raise is raising a 50' ladder straight up in the middle of a field & holding it there w/ 4 ropes tied to the tip. then 1 person climbs to the top takes a leg lock, lets go w/ his hands, & leans over backwards(think backwards swan dive off the top). then u climb up & over the tip & back down the other side.

it is by far the best job i ever had. we only work 9 days a month on average & make around $40,000 a year base pay. i don't think i could ever go back to an 8 hour a day gig.

coverbandit is right when u are running lights & sirens u are asking people to give u the right away, if they don't yield to u & u have an accident because of it all normal traffic laws apply, so u could be at fault.

i don't enjoy the emt part of my job as much as the firefighting but it is not to bad either. especially if u were nopt in a big city like i am.

6. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

I've been a Vol firemen here in TN for about 5 years. Fire Dept rules an regs change somewhat from dept to dept. I'd say when you first start they will tell you to just set back and watch untill you attend some training. I'm not sure how big that dept is, but alot of small depts will let you do alot more then the bigger depts. You'll have to attend classes before you can actually make entry into a envolved structer fire.

As far as the speed, we determine the speed ourselves depending on the urgency of the fire:ie People trapped, possibility of spreading to other structers, all that stuff. Even with that we dont endanger other peoples lives to get there.

I dont know if this helped you at all, like i said, depts policies vary on the size, the state they are in and all sorts of other variables. If I can help you any more feel free to ask.

You might also wanna visit. www.firehouse.com they used to have some usefull info, but i've not been there in a while.

7. conoverbandit

8. bga

bga Registered Member

I'm not a Fireman however I am a volunteer on the local Rescue Squad and the National Cave and Rope Rescue Unit. Here in Alabama we are put into the same category as voluteer Firemen on traffic laws in personal vehicles.

In a personal vehicle, if we're responding to a call (usually going to the Squad building to pickup a truck for me) we have the right to use red, amber, green, and clear signal lights (strobe or other). We are also permitted to use electronic air horns found on almost all Public Safety Siren box's, but are in no way allowed to use any sort of siren.

In my case, when I pickup a Rescue truck from the Squad building I am then allowed to use sirens.

Under Alabama state law different types of calls are considered differently. Almost any call that a Fireman would be responding to would be considered a "Code 3" call, meaning they have lawfull rights to disreguard traffic laws, as long as their driving remains safe for all persons on the roadway.

Although I have never needed this, under Alabama state code we are allowed to "push" stopped traffic out of intersections if we are responding to a call. I hope I never get myself into this situation because even though the law states we are allowed to do it..... it would be hell for months afterwards!

Theres my info from here in Alabama.

9. conoverbandit

Thanks,
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

I am FT in Abilene, TX. Been a FF/Paramedic for 5 years. If you are looking for a good job with security and good retirement/hours/vacation/and fun as H#!!at times, then a career in firefighting is the way to go! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

I, along with most other firemen, don't care alot about the EMT part, but it can be fun too. Especially as a Paramedic, cause I get to give people good drugs like: Morphine, Valium, Adenosine, Epi(adrenaline). As long as you can handle seeing a human body strung along a half mile of pavement in multiple pieces /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif(sorry for the visual) /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif, then you are good to go!!

PM me if you want.

11. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I love it, /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have been a vol. for 8 years and I love it. We still have to obey all traffic laws here in Tx from what I understand. Although most local PD let us get by with somethings as long as we are carefull about it. Good luck and have fun and be safe. Oh yeah welcome to one of the biggest family's anywhere....Jason