Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any way to avoid getting pulled over?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Apr 28, 2005.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I just took my K5 out for it's second trip on the street. I had a buddy follow me just as a barier and I was glad I did. A cop pulled up behind us and my friend "stalled". I just barely made it home. What can I do to help avoid tickets and the attention? I've got 8" of lift and 44" tires with khaki paint. Help me avoid a ticket!!!

2. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

uhhh...great way to not get pulled over is to make it legal...or atleast close to legal :p:

3. FWP

FWP CRS

Get a copy of your state's vehicle code, study the equipment requirements, and make your truck comply. A LEO can still give you a ticket, but if you are in compliance with the law (to the T) you will win in court. As far as getting attention, you'll get it with 8" lift and 44s, not much you can do about that, other than driving like a sane person :)

4. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

drive off the road as fast as you can and get out of ur truck yelling, KILLER BEES, SAVE YOURSELF, AHHHHHH *arms flailing wildly*

5. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Good idea... it worked in Tommy Boy. :p:

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Get out of Mass. I agree with FWP, that is how we can get away with truggy's on the street.

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

the #1 reason for getting pulled over is.....

1. not having your vehicle properly registered. if it doesnt have plates, or expired plates/registration, its a gimme as far as tickets are concerned. The rest is icing on the cake. Officers need probable cause to pull you over- anything they can find- as long as the VTL has it, they can get you for it, they will pull you over, and give you several tickets off the top of their head. (every state has a certain limit as to how many tickets they can give at one time- some have no limit!)

For example-
    you have no license plate. pull you over.

something very basic not working right- like no head light, no seat belt, something that would pose a danger to other people.
    something obscure, but I don't like the way you look. I find that your license plate isnt illuminated at night. Ticket 1. Ticket 2, your truck is excessively high, above a certain limit for your state (ground clearance/bumper height). Then they slap on one for good measure, your headlights arent pointed to the ground, blinding oncomming traffic. Then because its a truggy, and its window is no longer there cause it fell off the last time you rolled over, you dont have a rear view mirror (yet another ticket). Your tail light fell out cause your rear quarter is now squished. (yet another ticket). Your running non DOT approved bead locks (H1 8 bolts) (yet another ticket). And if they wanted to be a pooper on top of that, *bam* "removal of emissions control devices".

I think most officers arent out to get you- but if you needed your "Friend" to cover behind you, that means you were well knowledgable that your vehicle was grossly out of spec- We aint talking about a loud muffler, or missing cat.

Suppose you got into an accident- what then? Suppose someone else hit you while you went for this spin- How will you explain it to the cops?

I can articulate that my truck is within the NYC and NYS VTL, and I have a list written down for the ones that are most likely to be used on me- vehicle height, bumper height, headlamps. Mine is not as nearly radical as yours.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I keep my Jimmy clean and drive sanely. Mud covered trucks get pulled over 10X as often as clean trucks, and driving like a dick will always get their attention.

My truck is far enough from legal that I'd hate to get pulled over...yet I pass cop after cop, have had them following me etc etc all without getting pulled over.

Things my truck would need to be legal here include flares to cover the tires where they stick past the body, mudflaps for the rear :crazy: an E-brake :blush: and my horn doesn't work. I find that flat black is as near to urban camo as it gets...either the cops just don't care or the truck just doesn't grab their attention.

Rene

9. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

:haha: And I thought I had it bad in Mass with 4" and 33's! I got pulled over pretty regularly back there, but here in CO with so many big trucks running around, I just blend in :screwy: Good luck!

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The laws in Mass are something along the lines of no more than 2" over stock height due to springs, blocks, body lift, or tire for vehicles up to and inluding 10000 GVW

11. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

lets see some pics of that bad boy

12. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I think Mass laws suck. Maine isn't that great though. I forget the exact measurement atm but we have frame height laws here. basically a couple inch lift may put you on the limit. :mad: but I may build a lifted street truck for fun when I get my k5 for off road only use anyway. Long time dow the road as my driveway/house are a much bigger priority right now. :waytogo:

13. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Sometimes you can "quote" the law in your light-
    for example, i think NYS has a maximum frame height. Take a k5, add 5" of lift, 35" tires, and your already 7-8" higher than stock.

I like to use the "sir the lowest part of my frame is my frame cross member(skid plate) (unclocked np208 skid plate). i measured from that point to be in compliance."

Saying your axle pumpkin is your lowest point doesnyt really work though.

14. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Move to Alabama. :D

60" to the headlights, windshield, tag, insurance, wear your seatbelt - Have a nice day! :cool1:

15. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Yep, pretty damn close to TX

16. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Don't attract attention to yourself (noise, outlandish colors). Do your best to visibly comply with the law. That means run pinned mudflaps, pinned DOT-style tractor-trailer drop bumper, all your mirrors (even if it's like Michigan and only requires a combination), all your lights in good working order, and windshield wipers. And use your lights. Run with the headlights on, use your turn single, use the brake pedal with a manual transmission, et cetera.

If it doesn't look safe or if you're being stupid/loud they'll pull you over and have a field day. Oh, and be nice when you do get pulled over. If you're lucky they'll just look it over, check your lights and that you have plates/insurance, and then let you go. Sometimes, when they see how much care you put into it (and that it's got a lot of new stuff on it), they know you take care of it and it isn't cobbled.

17. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The best way to avoid gettin pulled over is to not have a pair of Truck Nutz

18. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

DAMN!!! That was gonna be my next purchase. =)

19. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

:eek1: Last time I checked it was 30inches to the bumper in CT, it sucks.

Anyone got a link telling all the lift laws for each state? I found one once but i lost it.

20. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I have 16" of lift with 44" boggers on my burb and haven't got a ticket in Alabama yet. My headlights are above the max. 60" :D