Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any way to lock our wing windows?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ikonosin, Jan 30, 2005.

1. ikonosin

ikonosin Registered Member

Just like the title asks, is there any way to lock them? I'm a tad paranoid about theft, so want to lock them if possible. I know exactly how easy it is to come in through them. I also plan on switching out my rear sliders (canopy) for some solid pieces if I can find some. I know it will still be possible to break into, but it will be a little harder.

odd thing is, that during the summer, I plan on taking off the top to enjoy the weather...

2. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wing windows on your '90 should have a push button lock. I know, you could still use a set of spoons to get in if needed. As for the rear windows, put a piece of all thread or a dowel in the track long enough to prevent anyone from sliding the window back. The '91 I recently sold was missing the lock fo9r the back passenger slider. Oddly enough, noone ever messed with the truck, and it looked like a pretty clean truck for the most part. Sorry for no help on the wing.:D

3. ikonosin

both the latches on my rear sliders are broken, I didn't even realize it when I bought it. I extracted the carpets yesterday (previous owner was a smoker) and went to open the windows for air and noticed it. I will use little window clamps until I can source some 1piece windows.

And yeah, my 90 has push button locks on the wing windows, but that takes about 2 seconds to get around. I was hoping there was something better available. I'm guessing not though.

4. mightywhitey_k5

mightywhitey_k5 Registered Member

at checker auto or any where that sells HELP products, you can buy clamps that screw right into the two holes that are already there. you can find them in the HELP section. but ya a dowel will work too

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

They make vent window locks!

I have a vent window lock on my 82 K20,its holding the vent window shut,since the handle is lost,and the metal frame around the glass has rotted away!--I have a few old rusty doors out in the backyard ,I might try to rplace the vent windows someday when its warm out,if they arent rotted away by then too--look in Pep Boys or Autozone for the vent window locks--they are a bit crude and let the wind whistle in past the rubber seals,but its better than getting broken into...:crazy:

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

81-up are locking type anyways

7. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thats how my k5 got broken into. The lock gave em trouble but they just busted the window in.

8. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

If your looking for tight security, you've picked the wrong vehicle. Ive owned a few of these things, and have sucessfully broken in everytime I locked the keys in it. The doors are opened with hangers, the vent window, if the lock works at all is still no problem, and the sliding rear windows are an invitation. My advice, that I myself live by, is dont keep anything valuable in the damn thing. I have a crappy stereo (that rocks) crappy marine speakers, and lots of stains. Once they look inside, they keep moving. My bigger concern is keeping the truck blocked in so no one loads it on a flatbed. The parts bolted on are worth alot more than the parts Ive added inside. Get a good gun and a light on an auto sensor.

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i work the auto biss and that wont stop anyone from getting in. thay have a tool for lock outs that allows entery to most vehicles in less than 30 sec for trained tech. and i have 1 my self. vary easy to use. so live with it and be smart of where you park.

10. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

first of all... dont lock your doors.. if they want to get in they will... I have a shattered wing window... locked the keys in.. used a screwdriver... pryed on the wing and it went... CARACK! ... and I reached in and unlocked the door... EASY... also if someone sees something... ok... so they will smash your window then get in...... so instead of replacing what they took you also have to fix the window... just my opinion.... just get an alarm and only take the truck where you trust it..... put a sticker in it that says... I HUNT DOWN AND GUT THIEVES :grin:

11. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

I don't like to ever lock my truck...like rootbreaker said, if they wanna get in, they will...i don't keep much inside that anyone would want, so id make out better to let them take it easy and not have a broken window...also, now that i have a lift its harder to see in, not many people are gonna break into a truck for absolutely no reason if they can't see what you have (or in my case, don't have) in there...

12. ikonosin

yeah, I have this kit http://www.z-tool.com/Kits.htm and know exactly how easy it is to get into most cars. Wing windows are by far the easiest to open, so I wanted a little extra protection there.

I don't keep any thing valueable in there, the stereo is a lower end (although new) Pioneer, and the speakers are also lower end. I'm more concerned with the whole truck vanishing on me.

13. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

So true. where there's a will there's a way.

My wife parks her car next to my truck in the driveway. We have a dual halogen motion sensor floodlight setup that illuminates the whole front of the driveway. The day after I installed it the floods they broke out her passenger window and stole her CD player. I do not have a radio in the truck which is probably why they didn't bust out my window too.

Our bedroom is right off the garage about 10 feet. They were very bold and very quiet. I guess the security light helped them see what they were doing. That same night over 100 radios were stolen throughout the city.

Fargin Bastages!!!!

My thought was to install a shaped charge in the door and blow the piss out of the next thief. However I enjoy my freedom as a law abiding member of society and am not interested in picking up the soap.

I'll tell you though, when someone steals from your property you sure do think long and hard about it. I'm sure everyone here with tool theft can attest to the anger you feel. :mad:

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Theives suck!

Ya,in my area,thanks too the popularity of heroin and crack,theft is a big problem--they recently finally arrested several addicts that had stolen over 100,000 dollars worth of contractors tools,generators,air compressors,welders,etc--they even stole whole trailers full of stuff right out of the homes and jobsites of theese guys...They go to the Wal-Mart near me and shoplift,and break into cars in the parking lot every day--even when they get caught,a few days later,they are back on the streets doing it again....

It took one angry contractor too "break" the case,all he did was plant a trailer full off stuff in the area the last theft occurred,and hid inside it with a cell phone,and a gun--he called the cops when he heard them trying to get in,and told them if they werent there in 30 seconds,to send the coroner to claim the bodies!!--they caught them after a chase with police dogs,once they got caught,it wasnt long before the canaries started to sing,and the whole band of theives got arrested--many for drug charges too.

.I hate going anywhere anymore,not that my trucks are show rigs or have anything worth stealing,its just a gamble everytime you park it somewhere it will still be there unmolested when you get back...our neighbors have had gas siphoned out of their gas tanks,one guy not far from me had over 200 gallons of heating oil stolen!!--I live near several new car dealers,one is a honda dealership--they lose about 5 radio's and several rims and tires a week,and a whole car dissapears now and then too---the cops dont seem too concerned,they just treat it like "just another day in the "hood" "....:frown1:

Luckily,I havent had any theives in my yard yet--and I hope it stays that way--I attribute this to my lack of desireable stuff to steal,since most of what I have is crap anyway,not due to a lack of crooks....one thing is for sure,if they decide they want something,they WILL get it,even if they have to use a ramp truck!--several cars were towed away from parking lots in broad daylight,no one who witnessed it thought anything was wrong,they just assumed someone broke down and called a tow truck....its like you need a security gaurd 24/7 now in todays world...:crazy:

15. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Take the pos. wire from an extension cord, wrap it around the truck frame, turn on the power switch/plug in the cord. Go to sleep and wait for the yelp.

Seriously, there is no reason to have a lock stronger than the glass. The only time my truck was ever broken into it was by a brick through the rear window. It really just adds to the costs.

16. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Anytime anyone breaks into my vehicles they just bust out the driver window......sometimes I think Im better off just leaving it unlocked :crazy: