Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any way to prepare for Marine Recon Indoc???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BlazerGuy, Jan 21, 2004.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

As some of you may know I joined the Corps and I'm shipping out in the summer for the MCRD, San Diego. Anyway is there anyway to prepare/train for the Recon indoc? Or will boot be the best training/preparation I can get? Thanks

2. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

Dude, Bootcamp is hard,but not close to Recon. You better be in the best shape of your life. Also, you need to be very smart. Strong, smart and can with stand a lot of pain. There is really no way to totally prepare for it. Some people can do it, others can't no matter what they do and try. Good luck and let me know if you get into Recon school. Semper Fi

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    As some of you may know I joined the Corps and I'm shipping out in the summer for the MCRD, San Diego. Anyway is there anyway to prepare/train for the Recon indoc? Or will boot be the best training/preparation I can get? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

You can pay the biggest person you know to kick your ass now, or you can just try your hardest in boot camp and when you're done, you'll be in the best shape of your life, as long as you don't injure yourself.

Try your best, but DON'T INJURE YOURSELF like I did, it sucks to watch all your buddies get to do the fun stuff because you're hurt. Also sucks to think that one day I might not be able to climb into my truck because my knee won't cooperate.

The military is what you make of it, period. Give it everything you've got, just don't hurt yourself.

4. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

84 Chevy K10 has a good point. Don't get hurt. But sometimes you have no control over that. Like I said before. I made it, but I am also now a Disabled Veteran from giving my all. I have been shot in the knee and broke my back while fighitng in Lybia in 85. Now, if I had to do it all over again, would I? You bet. Semper Fi

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif to you Hustler & good luck to you BlazerGuy.
    Semper Fi from an air winger.

6. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

At least when I was in, you must first be "in the Fleet" before you can even start thinking about trying out for recon. Then you go through "try outs", and if you pass those, you can choose to accept orders to go to a recon battalion. Boot ain't got nothin' on recon, or sniper school for that matter. Get your feet wet first before even contemplating special ops. My .02.
    Oh yeah, Semper Fi and good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

John

7. I think enlisting off the street for Recon is possible now, has been for a few years. It was the same for me when I was in, you had to be in the FMF first, unless they grabbed you up in infantry school.

8. SkulzNBonz

[ QUOTE ]
    I think enlisting off the street for Recon is possible now

[/ QUOTE ]
    You have got to be kidding. It must have something to do with recon and LAV's being combined into a single battalion. What has happened to my beloved Corps /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

John

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I got in pretty good shape during boot, but it wasn't the "best shape of my life"... that would be when I was training for super squad comps. Just after the comp I could run near marathon distance (did 20 miles once, just to do it) and it really didn't bother me too much. At any rate, I was going to try the recon indoc at one point of my hard chargin grunt career, but you basically have to be able to swim like a fish... and I swim sorta like a rock when I'm in full gear, so I never bothered trying out. On land i was a runnin/shooting fool though. Always got perfect PFT scores, always shot expert and I was really good with the M249 too. At any rate, in the end I was glad I stayed in with the regular ground pounders.

if you are serious about recon, get in the FMF, learn how to be a good grunt... and in addition to the standard PT run and swim as much as you can... with gear/weight on if possible.

j

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

No, you can't go straight into Recon from the street, believe me, I tried! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Thanks for the info, it's pretty much the same I got from my recruiter: Don't even think it about 'til after SOI! Oh well, I give my best shot when I get the opportunity...

11. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

it does have its own MOS desiginator of 0321 but its not what alot of people think it is, take a pft and some swimming, really not as much of a torture test as it used to be, there is a huge difference in Bn recon and force of course, to do anything the DAP is where things get rough.

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Got a bud from the Academy who is Marine Recon.........................

Push-ups all day
    Sit-ups all day
    Pull-ups all day

Poster Marine, 6'1", 250-270, was recruited out of high school to play college ball, but went Corps instead.

13. Jek,

When were you in the Corps? I remember those Super Squad comps at Lejeune. Too much fun.

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

recon ?! hell yeah !!

15. SkulzNBonz

Yeah, I had a CO in Desert Storm that was former Force Recon. Capt. Crowe (son of former Chief of the Joint Chiefs of Staff William Crowe). What a tough, crazy mother!

John