Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any way to stop a motor from knocking?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thezentree, Aug 15, 2004.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

my 97 vortec 350 knocks, and i'd like it to stop. is there anything short of a rebuild that would help this out?

and almost as importantly, what exactly makes a motor knock? pinging is predetonation (correct me if im wrong), so what is knock?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

knock=rod knocking on the crank=needs new bearing.

you can just pull it apart and put new bearings and rings in it. northern sells a rering kit for this.

3. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Higher octane fuel or boosters will prevent ignition knocking. A rebuild will stop the rotating assemble knocking.

4. thezentree

i switched to a higher octane fuel to stop pinging, since the local stealership doesnt know their ass from a hole in the ground and screwed something up. but i digress....

i'll take one new motor, please!

5. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

No hijacking here, but I would also like to know what leads to the conditions that cause an engine to knock. Just lack of oil changes...? My 3.8 in my Cougar knocks more than a Jehovas Witness...

Damn furds.

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

There are many different kinds of knocks.
    I have heard fuel pump pushrods knock in a SBC. The "new" generation Vortecs have piston slap that in some trucks are louder than diesels /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif(a condition deemed normal by the general /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif) Also a cracked flex plate can sound like a knock. To properly pin point a sound like a konck you would need to find the area/conditions when it will appear.
    Usually a low pitched hollow sounding knock rythmic with engine RPM would indicate a rod possibly main bearing failure. But there are so many things that it can be its hard to say what caused it and how to fix it...

7. thezentree

[ QUOTE ]
    No hijacking here, but I would also like to know what leads to the conditions that cause an engine to knock. Just lack of oil changes...? My 3.8 in my Cougar knocks more than a Jehovas Witness...

Damn furds.

[/ QUOTE ]

in my case, its probably water intrusion from the time i almost hydrolocked it /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    any way to stop a motor from knocking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Turn it off? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Sorry.

9. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

So is there a way to hunt a knock down in an engine, and actually find out where it is without completely stripping it?
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You can use a mechanics stethoscope(looks like the doctors!)to help pinpoint the source of the noise,and by pulling the plug wires off one cylinder at a time it will usually deaden or reduce a rod or main bearing knock in that cylinder,wrist pin or piston noises usually get louder when the plug wires on that cylinder are pulled--be carful because the HEI ignition coil can put out up to 50,000 volts,use insulated pliers make for that purpose,or you'll get zapped for sure.Is your motor rapping(like a rod knock?)or is it just "pinging" like when you have cheap gas and overadvanced timing?. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

11. thezentree

well, it does both, but it doesnt ping hardly at all anymore because i run 89 octane fuel. im thinking that i got water in a rod bearing and warped it or something

12. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

try any lucas??

13. thezentree

yea, it helped, and oil pressure is up about 10psi when at operating temps and idling, but its still knocking a little bit