Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any woodworkers/carpenters?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jagged, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I want to build a new stand for my 55 gallon aquarium. Only thing is, with glass, filters, and water, it's about 500 pounds of weight. Currently my stand is made of some unkown age 4x4 posts. I want to make one that sits a little higher and is finished on the outside, with some cabinets for storage an my canister filter underneath. My idea was to use a similar frame of 4x4's, and box the bottom of the stand to distribute the weight evenly over the footprint of the stand instead of four 16 square inch spots. 125 pounds in 16 square inches is asking a bit out of any floor material. If I can distribute that to a 60x18 inch area I'd feel a lot better. I think it would be a good idea to make a truss into the back wall of the stand for some stability.

Once the support structure is built, I'd configue shelving on the inside out of plywood. The shelves themselves don't have any weight to support, the only item that has some weight to it is my canister filter which holds between 1-2 gallons of water. Then I could make the outside look nice with some vineer and moulding around the edges.

Good idea? Suggestions/Improvements?