Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any1 else a penny pinchin lil bastage?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekbrown, Mar 5, 2005.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I was wondering how many other CK5'ers are hardcore penny pinchers. I make a whopping $12.20 an hour with a little bit of double-time overtime on occassion. Anyway, I want money for my K5 and my Roth IRA so I really have too pinch pennies. Here are some ways I do it.

1) furnance breaker is turned off, I use free firewood from work for heat when I need it.

2) lights are always off if I don't need them. If its summer, i dont use lights hardly at all, just open the curtains.

3) I pee about 15 times a day cause I drink so much water, when I know I'm gonna be doing that I don't flush every time to save water. I'll be going again in 30 mins anyway. If my wife is going and I know I have to as well, I ask her not to flush.

4) I eat cheap food. I've actually prefered cheap food. I'll take a $1-per-pack hotdog in some 4-for-a-$1 macaroni and cheese over a T-bone steak every time. We use coupons and really know how to shop for groceries. We make sure to buy stuff a little bit in advance so we aren't stuck buying the $pendy stuff when its not on sale just cause we need it.

5) my wife and I hardly ever go out for dinner. Our version of "going out" is getting a papa murphys pepperoni for $5.99. Sometimes we are really cheap and just get crazy bread, it fills us up and its only $2.49! lol

6) when I know a load is comin, I do #2 at work, saves on TP here at home.

7) i borrow DVDs to watch from dad or my wife's friends. Never really buy/rent them anymore unless its an all-time fav type of flick and then I scour the sales and use gift certificates.

8) I take a lunch to work everyday instead of buying cafeteria/restraunt food. If I don't have time to make it, I go hungry and just drink water all day.

9) I haven't bought any new clothes since... uhhh, heck who knows. lol! I wear a uniform at work, when I get home I put my work clothes on to work on my K5. I don't use PJs. who needs new clothes?

10) I rarely pay to upgrade my PC... my dad is a puter nerd, I just take his hand-me-downs and score the occassional "free after rebate" deal at CompUSA.

11) I take the bus to work everyday, taking advantage of our companies commuter benefit and paying for it all pre-tax. This also saves insurance $, gas $ and I can catch some Zs on the way too.

12) I pay all my bills with bill pay, no more late fees, no more stamps or trips to the post office. I do all my banking online too, save gas/time.

13) The lights I use most in my house are all the efficient flourescent ones.

14) if its nice out, I hang up towels to dry to save dryer electricity.

15) we buy our dogs foor and stuff in bulk, every little bit helps.

There are other ways I save $ too... but thats all I can think of for now. I think the best way to save $ is to merry a girl that came from a poor family and doesn't like to shop and then don't have any kids. :grin:

j

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I havent gotten to that point yet because i still live at home, but i am getting pretty bad. I had been doing great, until last monday when I found out that money in the bank is gonna have to make it even longer :crazy:

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

:whistle: so do you make a game out of it and have like a line in the toilet bowl that you always try to fill it up to?
    or almost to the point of overflowing?
    :rotfl: LOL! Pretty soon you'll be sneaking out of work with a roll of TP each day.

Out of habbit, Do you ever accidently combine the #6 and #3? Leaving a "#2" for your co-worker to flush? :rotfl:

Hm, you only own dirty work clothes and a work uniform?
    um yah, i think we just figured out who one of those ck5 members are that always votes for the "I'm naked" poll option.
    I'd have to disagree, and go with the other extreme. I'm trying to marry a rich sugar momma that pays for everything so that i can save all my $$$.

4. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I used to be a penny pinching bastid...then I sold my body on eBay. Been drinkin Dom and eatin caviar ever since. :wink1:

All seriousness aside, I live at school, but for all the ones that applied to me, I totally understand. :rotfl:

5. jekbrown

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I guess You wouldn't want Me for a house guest. I flush every time cause I can't stand the smell of piss. I gotta have My steak a couple times a week. I like to be warm so the furnace is usually around 75 which cost about $265.00 a month for propane. I don't worry about the bills thats the Wifes job. I just hand over the pay check and expect to eat what I want and to be comfortable when I'm at home.

7. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

How about keeping that Taco Bell cup in your car and doing a quick free refill every once-in-a-while.:)

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

that sounds lke me
    must have steck
    wiffe pays every thing, after working 13.5 hours a day all week, she can pay them on line.

i dont need to know about the money because i am sure there ant much there!!:D

9. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Yes, I'm a cheap SOB. Everything I buy I buy on sale if at all possible. With a wife and two kids, I go grocery shopping once every two weeks at a discount market. A lot of it comes from necessity, though, 'cause when I first got married I didn't make much money. Now that I actually make a decent living, I'm just frugile out of habit. My friends have given me the nickname of "J-o-o" (from "Southpark") because of my spending habits. I will admit that I will spoil myself and the family occasionally, because the way I figure, life is short, enjoy it.

John

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I have a coin jar. Everytime I come home, all change in my pockets go in the coin jar. I cash it in every 2 to 3 months. Usely ends up being 100 to 300 dollors. That pays a few bills and leave me alittle more for crap I really don't need, LOL.

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

We don't do as much as we should, but dang!! Do you spend ANY money? :rotfl:

Drill that stuff into your kids' heads... Ours leave lights on constantly, doors open in winter, etc... My wife has them trained to take thier shoes off at the door though :rolleyes: ...

You reminded me, though I have to pick up some more flourescents for the lights they leave on most...

12. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I go without so my wife and kids can have everything they need. It's not like they need a lot to be happy(Kim is by far the most "realistic" girl I've known, meaning she understand the value of a dollar), but I'd rather see Kim in a new pair of high heeled boots than myself in a new pair of shoes.

I actually don't have to spend much money on the kids, either, because grandma spoils them rotten.......

Of course, a guy can't really claim to be a penny pincher when he's got a 5 acre rec property, I guess, so let's just say that in day-to-day living I'm pretty cheap, but when it comes to things that mean a lot to me, money is no object. Kind of like a lot of you guys and your trucks.

13. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

dollerama, the finest in chinese made goods brought right to your naubourhood!!!

14. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

1. Try to operate on a cash only basis, stay away from credit cards. We use Amex so it has to be paid off every month.

2. Recycle, stash away hardware, building supplies and other things that we may need later.

3. We're in the second hand business so we know how and where to buy just about anything.

4. We are on a water meter so we conserve as much as possible. I keep showers short or "field shower" wet down/shut off water/soap/ turn on water and rinse. While the water is running to get hot - fill the dog bowls or watering jug before it heats up.

5. Knowing how to grocery shop will save you a bundle. I don't eat much but when I do it has to be good food. I skimped enough in my twenties. Death to macaroni and cheese.

6. Savings, make sure you have some type of savings account or investment. Have both short and long range financial goals.

7. Ignore marketing. Every time you turn on the radio, TV, or read a magazine you are bombarded with marketing strategies, learn how to resist. Wean yourself off impulse buying. Think it through before you flop out the cash.

8. If you happen to have large credit card debt learn how to transfer your balance to a lower interest rate company. MAKE SURE IT IS A FIXED RATE AND WONT RISE AFTER 6 MONTHS OR A YEAR.

9. Learn how to fix things yourself if possible but know your limits. When your in over your head get help before spending yourself into a bigger hole trying to fix your initial mistake.

Just a few things that crossed my noodle.

15. dwoods

dwoods 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Even though I have my own house I still eat with my mommie. It saves me from buyin food.:D

16. jekbrown

holy crap! my biggest electric bill this year was $65 or so and that made me mad. During the summer its silly low, like $25-30 a month. :)

j

17. jekbrown

oh yeah, thought of another way we save. Garbage. We only have it picked up once per month. One can. We got one of them plastic compost bins for free so anything that can compost we dump in it. Anything that is paper/cardboard we burn in the woodstove. Anything that is recycle-able we drop in my parents recycling bins. That pretty much leaves non-compostable food trash and the plastic that various foods are wrapped in. With a little bit of cramming, it fits in one can per month no problem.

j

18. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

For some strange reason.. I only really get tight when I'm spending money on one of my hobbies. I'll blow big bucks on my little girls.. or wife, withou blinking an eye.......... but then I get all nervous about spending 440 bucks for a new DL for the D60F.. even though I know it's the best price I've ever seen for one. :blush: :grin: I guess it's maybe a guilt thing.. :dunno: who knows..

I do shop around for the lowest price though... and then when I find it.. I look for one lower. :p:

19. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I really don't care what it cost to have a warm home with plenty of food in the cupboards for My Family. Cause to Me they come first. I guess thats why I still have a Dana 44 in the front of My unfinished Blazer. It's just the way Dad raised Me.

20. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

We have two meters, usually they're over $200 combined... We just got on a budget plan so we pay like $180 a month no matter what our usage... I WISH we could do $65 a month!!