Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any1 else get annoyed just getting their rig up on stands?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Dec 12, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

workin on my rig today/tomorow and just came in from getting the beast up on blocks/stands. kinda a PITA. even with just 35s on there it sucks, mainly cause I dont have 36" tall jackstands, and even if I did, I dont have a jack that goes up very high anyway. What I usually end up doing is jacking it up as high as the jack can get, putting one stand in to hold it, while I put the jack all the way back down, put some wood under it, and run it up again. repeat until its high enough. Its not hard, its just annoying.

anyone else get tired of doing this? i know i know, i should shell out the $ for some mon$ter jack stands and a good jack... but somehow spending mad $$$$$ on jackstands never seems like a good idea. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

j

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yeah, sometimes it can get to be a puzzle figuring out how to get your truck jacked up, or sometimes how to get a jack out...ran into that problem a couple times with my axle swap. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

And as a side-note...I don't know how you guys jack the front up. Without my plow mount up front, I'd be lost for a good place to put jackstands. Having that plow mount is GREAT for putting the bottle jack and jackstands on. Highly recommended modification, plow or no plow. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If I try and do it from the frame, gotta start with a block of wood. (it's still on the tires, if it falls, oh well lol)

If I need the whole back or front jacked up, I go off of the differential housing. You don't have one of those dinky little floor jacks that sways side to side do you??

4. equalizer

equalizer Registered Member

Currently in Northern Alberta. Soon to be heading
    I agree as well. My 72 K5 has a chrome back bumber that I take off everytime I want to jack the back end up. Kind of a pain, (I'm not sure about later model blazers) but it seems to me that first gens have week original bumper supports and without mods, trying to jack the back end up will continue to be a hassle. Would a 60 inch jackall help? I've got a 40 inch that works well with 31' tires.

5. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Me and my friend got tired of doing that little trick in the sound that he talked his dad into parking the back hoe at his house. Now swaps are a breeze. Why doesnt my dad have a backhoe and live 2 minutes from my house.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A good floor jack is a must, and decent stands are much appreciated when you spend more than a few minutes under your truck.

My buddy has some major work he is doing under his truck right now. He built an 18-20" tall 2x6 'pony wall' under the truck. It has three sides and ties into the support columns in the barn it's in. Then again he is a framer so I kind of expect that sort of solution to the problem from him.

Rene

7. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

i only have a little hydraulic jack that comes with new cars. i have 2 of them and they can operate somewhat faster if you rig it so a drill can attach to them. ti gets rid of the anyong cranking it from full to zero after you have a stand under the truck.

8. jekbrown

tall/strong jackstands always seem to be a rip off with respect to co$t... I think someone here on ck5 should start making some. How hard can it be? for obvious reasons they would have to be WELL made, but really, is it not possible to make a beefy jackstand for a sane price? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

afa jacks go, I dont have a good floor jack, kinda waitin to get one till i get a pad with a garage. Until then I use my factory jack. Its ok, but a floor jack is way more handy. Anyway, since i dont have the $ right now for a goood jack plus tall stands, I have to do it the ghetto way. Since its such a pita, i generally just plan on any 1 day upgrade to take 2 days... on the first day, all I do is get the thing up on the stands and maybe hit the bolts or whatever with some liquid wrench... next day, do the "1 day" mod. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif what I wouldnt do for a hydralic shop lift. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You know that at those cheapy traveling tool "shows", you can buy a 3 ton or so floor jack for $60, right? (thats what mine is, been good for 2 years so far)

I know you don't have money, but if you can scrape it together, it is definitely worth it. I've used the factory jack before, numerous times, but unless I have no choice, I will always use the hydraulic one.

Heck, at Schucks you can get an AL floor jack with stands for around $125 I think. Nice and light, but I think the weight rating on it and the jackstands is pretty low, IMO questionable with the weight our vehicles are. (I'm sure they are underrated, but I'd hate to find out the hard way they weren't)

Anyways, for someone that works on their own vehicles, a good floor jack is one of the first tools I'd recommend that isn't necessarily a "standard" garage tool, but should be.

Besides, you can use the jack as an additional safeguard when using jackstands...put the vehicle on jackstands, but leave the jack in place, (obviously lower it so the vehicle weight is on the jackstands though) just in case something happens. I've seen the jackstands sink into asphalt before, in the wrong direction, that could topple them. The floor jack might at least give you that split second necessary to get out of the way. (kind of like that wood cracking sound some of us have heard right before some supoporting piece of wood breaks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif) Of course, if I'm working on a vehicle with the tires/wheels off, I position them in a location under the vehicle that will keep the vehicle from crushing me if it does fall.

10. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Ha....So one time I had my truck on 4 36" jack stands on the frame, it had no axles at all under it. My mistake was doing this on dirt...With no boards or anything under the stands. Truck is parked at my gramps house. He calls me one morning after a big rain storm and says "Hey dumbass, your truck fell off the jack stands overnight." I thought he was pulling my leg, so I drove over there. He wasn't pulling my leg. The jack stands had sunk into the mud and fell over. You think just getting a truck up on jackstands with the tires and axles still there is a pain in the ass? Try doing it when both front and rear bumpers are sitting on the ground and its raining. Also, it was parked right next to a covered metal car port thing- When it fell off the jack stands, it fell towards the car port, almost hitting it. So I sent 2 hours freezin my ass off in the rain, scratching my head trying to get it back on the stands. After I finally got it back on the jack stands, I was seriously pissed off, cold, tired, wet and pissed off. I went back in the house, poured myself a cup of coffee, looked out the window at the truck to see that it fallen off the stands again- Into the car port. Needless to say, it stayed there in the mud till it stopped raining and dried out. Moral of the story? If you have to use jack stands on dirt, always put a piece of plywood or something under the legs. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Just get a REAL jack /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    [​IMG]
    This is what I used to get the truck high enough to put my lift springs on.

12. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Yep, I use a backhoe for a jack too! And it makes loading and unloading axles a breeze. I cringe everytime I have to manually load an axle. I was really spoiled to my friends F550 with a 4500# auto crane. I wish he was still around.

13. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I guess I am blessed with the fact that I have access to a huge (24'x60') garage right across the road from my house with a cement floor. PLus tons of equipment from a front end loader, engine hoist, and overhead crane as well as a flatbed with a liftgate and crane. I never really gave much thought to the trouble mere mortals go through with heavy parts /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif But I never thought jacking up a vehicle would be one of them. All i usually use is the cheapie wal-mart MVP brand 3 ton floor jack. It has lasted 5 years of hard use with no problems. I also use 4 sears 6 ton floor jacks. I just jack up the axle and put the jack under the axle tubes. The top of the jack even has a depression for this. My rig actually sat on stands like this for 8 months while I did other stuff to it with the wheels off. It was very stable. The only time I couldn't do that is when I put on my lift and had to drop the axles. Then I used a jack we have. I dunno what it is called but it has 2 arms that slide out each side and you put them under the bumper or frame. Then the jack lifts the whole back of the vehicle. Once it is at the height you want you flip a mechanical catch and it now becomes like a jack stand to hold the vehicle.

I guess being in the monument business and being used to having the equipment to lift heavy things I just don't think about it much.

14. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

check with sears

usually monthly they have their 3 ton jack with stands on sale for $99. you know they'll be on sale with the holidays and such. i've been abusing mine for 3+ years now. also i've picked up a good floor jack at a yard sale for 40. hit up the yard sales, pawn shops, etc... if you keep your eyes open you can find a good deal. i consider a floor jack an ESSENTIAL.

you might find someone willing to trade some parts for one also. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

At work I use our 15 ton overhead crane with our big chains hooked to my Clevis shackles to lift my truck.../forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

It's not very portable though, so I also have a 3 ton floor jack.

Rene

16. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i only have a little hydraulic jack that comes with new cars. i have 2 of them and they can operate somewhat faster if you rig it so a drill can attach to them. ti gets rid of the anyong cranking it from full to zero after you have a stand under the truck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, that's pretty shady...top of your Christmas list NEEDS to be a good 3 ton floor jack and a pair of jackstands. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

17. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Here's a good jack, for short money: Floor Jack at Sam's Club If you have a Sam's nearby, that's a smokin' deal. I bought one of their 3-ton models about 12 years ago and it still works great. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I always jack up the axle (from the center if I'm raising the whole end, from one side if I just need a corner in the air) and then place my tall jackstands under the frame. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. jekbrown

a floorjack would be a handy thing to have, no question, but stands that could go hella high woulda made todays work quite a bit easier all by themselves, I had to raise up each side of my front axle 3 different times so I could stack more and more junk under the frame stands... so the factory jack had to go from bottomed-out to max extension and back 6 times... i think my arms will be sore tomorow. lol! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

oh yeah, you guys that have the full-on shop... you SUCK!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif everyhting I've done to my rig has been done in a driveway. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

j

19. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Not to be a smart a$$, but a regular floor jack works in the driveway too! Even if its sloped slightly, just make sure to chock the wheels on the end you arent lifting...

I've got a 3 ton floor jack that got donated to my garage when a buddy brought it over to change out a tranny in T-bird. He forgot it and a bunch of trash that was generated in the process. I told him to come get it and he never did. I guess I considered the jack payment for leaving my garage in a mess. Still, a floor jack and jackstands are a must. Besides Sams Club another cheap outlet is Habor Frieght tools. The got 2-3 ton models under $100 or full on Nascar Bling-bling Aluminum lightwieght ones for $200 ballpark. The Nascar-like jacks are cool, but nobody is going to be swapping out 4 35" tires in 18 seconds like they do. So the extra money is better spent on getting decent iron jack and 4 good jackstands for the same money.

20. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

These are rated at 6 tons and raise to 24 inches: Medium Jack Stands Those will work until you get over about 4 inches of lift. Then you need to step up to these that are rated at 12 tons and raise to 30 inches: Large Jack Stands /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Harbor Freight puts these on a major sale several times each year. Subscribe to their newsletter to find out when their stuff is on sale. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif