Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any1 got a sidemirror laying around?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by jekbrown, Nov 30, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

was cleaning up some vandalism chit in my truck (someone tossed an egg in there/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif) and when i closed my driver's side door the glass part of the mirror fell out and broke in the pavement. grrrr!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

anyway, anyone have a factory mirror that'd fit on my 85? thanks in advance...

j

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I think T-roy has some /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

I got a convex replacement mirror at the Eugene Autozone for $4.99 for my 87 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif. Actually, I should clarify, my brother got one cause he broke the old flat one. It was supposed to be $9.99, but they gave it to me for the price of the flat glass replacement mirror cause the only flat one they had in stock was chipped and looked rode hard/put away wet.

It came w/ adhesive tape, but I added adhesive caulk just to be sure it stayed. So far so good, although it doesnt fit as tight as the flat one did. I do get more view out of it, so it's a fair trade. $5 is pretty close to free, right?

4. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

I have a few misc mirrors laying around.

What style do you need?

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

hmmm... maybe I'll just drop by a parts store today, $0-10 I can handle. I didnt know they sold just the mirror part, I figured a parts place I'd have to buy the whole mirror housing or something. guess I'll look into it. BTW, what type of caulking stuff did you use? I wanna make sure mine is really secure, cause i sorta have to slam my door to get it to shut tightly and big rigs/tires always vibrate more than a normal car.

j

6. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

I just looked and it appears that I no longer have any of that particular caulk left. I do remember that it was white and silicone and was specifically labelled 'Adhesive' caulk. I also used it to hang some new glass in my parents greenhouse.

I think you could probably use just about any caulk and have better success than just the adhesive tape. You should be able to find the tubes of adhesive caulk for a buck or two that fit in the caulking guns. You can also buy small self applying tubes that can just be squeezed.

When I removed my old, broken glass (it was still stuck in the mirror frame in 3-4 peices) I noticed that it was adhered with a clear looking caulk. Whatever it was, it was tough enough to hold the glass in the frame despite the glass breaking into several smaller peices.