Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any1 own 2000 or newer chevy p.u. w/ 6.0?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by roostr3269, Dec 24, 2001.

1. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

I bought my 2001 2500 HD last winter and the motor started knocking at about 6000 miles. GM said its a condition called piston slap and said it wouldnt cause any problems. They wont even try to do anything with it, which really bums me out. It only lasts for 10 to 30 seconds on average. any1 with any knowledge of this or any tips, please reply, thanx.

live to wheel, wheel to live--1972 gmc jimmy 8 inch lift, 37" ssr's

2. 82GMC

82GMC 1/2 ton status

Chevy can take a flying leap!! That is a problem! Go to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.thedieselpage.com>www.thedieselpage.com</a>. Make a search on the 6.0/8.1 truck forum for Piston slap. You'll come up with all sorts of info!!

I am the hunter Who live's in the darkness, And grows through your fears...... And you are the hunted.

3. roostr3269

Thanx alot for the tip man. If i coulda i woulda reached through the phone and touched some1 at chevy.

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

As per SI 2000, 12/'01.

Bullitin #01-06-01-022

Engine Knock on Cold Start
    2001-2002 Chev and GMC p/u with 6.0L

Some of the above vehicles may exhibit an engine knock noise that begins in the first several thousand miles of use. The knock noise is most often noticed during initial (cold) start-up and typically disappears as the engine warms up.

This noise may be caused by an interaction between the piston and cyl wall. GM Powertrain Engineering, and an analysis of engines returned with this condition, has cofirmed that the noise is not detrimental to performance, reliability, or durability of the engine. The noise does not have any effect on the longevity of any of the engine components.

<font color=red>Important
    At this time, replaceing the engine assembly or pistons will not eliminate this noise.</font color=red>

Please share the information found in this bullitn with customers who inquire about this condition. In the event they have additional questions or concerns, please advise them to contact Customer Assistance at the numbers listed below.

Chevroltt 1-800-222-1020
    GMC 1-800-462-8782
    Canada 1-800-263-3777

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but thats what I found. If you took it to a dealer, and made a complaint. The concern is now on record and G.M. should and will take care of you, in the event that something does happen, or the bullitin is updated.

<font color=blue>Wow factors
    A SBC at 6,000 RPMs:
    2- The piston travels from O to 60 MPH to 0 in just .005 of a sec. and in just 7 inches.

5. roostr3269

Ya, its kind of a bummer when u start your truck up and expect it to purr like a kitten, I just hope they do stand behind this if they are wrong, thanx a lot for the info, Happy Trails....

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

No prob. Had some spare time today, so I spent it on SI2000.

I wouldn't worry about it. G.M. knows about the condition and they'll -probably- come out with a fix for it soon.
    Try one of those Phone numbers above. they'll probably now the latestd info.

<font color=blue>Wow factors
    A SBC at 6,000 RPMs:
    2- The piston travels from O to 60 MPH to 0 in just .005 of a sec. and in just 7 inches.

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

My Dad bought a 1995 left over GMC Conversion van in 1997... It has a 350 and has had a knock at start-up ever since new. He has reported it many times and he gets the same answers as you do. Just make sure that they note the knock in your records so down the road you can have proof if somethign goes wrong!

Mike

<font color=green>"My K5 is purdyur than your sister!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

8. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

umm- our new truck doesnt purrr like a kitten? is it suppose to? it doesnt tick/knock/whatever though- I spent some time on that diesel page- seems about 1/2 of the people over there have that problem- but I haven't seen anyone over there with a 2002 with that problem. I would think having your computer updated may fix it? just a thought- has it ever been updated? Ours sat in the lot for 4 months- and when we took it- that was the 1st thing they did, not sure what exactly it entailed, but maybe it fixed the tick/knock we never heard? I dunno-
    just my thoughts!

Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!