Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody around dallas know of "persuadable" inspection shop?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Lotsa_Faith, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

Anybody around dallas know of \"persuadable\" inspection shop?

All I have exhaust wise right now is 4 ft of pipe from the manifolds dumped. I plan on getting some magnaflows later on, but I cant afford it now, and my inspection was due since March. Anyone know of a place that may pass it with a little persuasion?

2. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Re: Anybody around dallas know of \"persuadable\" inspection shop?

S'posed to be a place in Van Alstyne....I'll try to check with the guys at work....Thinkin' yer askin' for quite a bit of "persuasion" without cat or muffler...you could possibly get some pieces from a junkyard for cheap and cobble some sorta frankenstein system to get it passed...just a thought...

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

try buying a no good cat, cut the cover off and weld the cover back around the pipe..

4. Lotsa_Faith

i would do that, but in collin county you have to pass the emissions test so I would need a good cat...plus I really don't believe that if i had cats on it would pass, i would definately need a new carb.

I just found uot that my friends dad, who owns herb's paint and body in frisco, does inspections so i will probably be able to get it done there

5. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

i hope the names and locations have been changed to protect the innocent....

6. BEHJR

BEHJR 1/2 ton status

Woulda been a LOT smarter ..........

Just to post and say ya got it done. Then ya get PMs asking where.

No names. Or places.

BH. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Just a little info....

I got stopped in the Company truck at a license check...had an inspection sticker out 3 months...TDPS wrote me a Personal ticket for $200 for a bad sticker...SBC refused to pay MY ticket even tho it's their truck...had to win the Union grievance to get my money back...

If you get stopped for Anything (loud pipes?)...even with a current sticker...if the cop does a looksee and finds you are in violation (missing smog parts), you get the $200 prize...you might get a warning from City, and maybe County...But if you get stopped by DPS (especially that "Brotha"), they may tow your truck in addition to the ticket...just a heads up...

The guy at work says that in order to get inspected in Van Alstyne, you must have the equipment present even if it doesn't work...any station who issues a "persuaded" sticker is risking a $25K fine, so understand what you are asking them to do...

If you have an Uncle or someone who lives out of county, maybe you could register your truck there and get it inspected in a "no sniff" county (you must get it inspected in the county of registration except in certain circumstances)...just a thought...

Good luck... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Lotsa_Faith

Hey JD I heard you ran into my dad the other day. Well, my understanding is that DPS can only pull people over on highways and interstates, is that right? Cause if it is, my truck sees almost NO highway use. My uncle lives in Van Alstyne, so I could get it done using his address. Also, I forgot about my friend in Farmersville, nobody has legal trucks there. He's gonna ask one of his friends to get a sticker. I'm pretty sure that just a current sticker will do around here, my truck isnt THAT loud...

9. BEHJR

BEHJR 1/2 ton status

DPS can stop anyone anywhere in the state. Just normally on highways and Interstates or Tollways. Don't get a false sense of security just because you are not on one of these.

10. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you have an Uncle or someone who lives out of county, maybe you could register your truck there and get it inspected in a "no sniff" county (you must get it inspected in the county of registration except in certain circumstances)...just a thought...

[/ QUOTE ]

JD - This isn't entirely true. There are circumstances where you can have the truck registered in a non-emissions county but have to pass emissions testing. For people who are registered in a non-emissions county but do most of their driving in an emissions county, they are supposed to be emissions inspected as well.

The sticker is different between the emissions and no-emissions counties. They also have remote sensing equipment that monitors one-lane acceleration areas, like highway on-ramps. If you pass one of these and fail, you will get a notice in the mail regardless of where you live. They can then put restrictions on your rigs registration.

How do I know all this, you say? Could be because I live in Plano (Collin County) while my Jimmy "resides" in Grayson County.

However, if you are able to get a sticker, if you don't give the cops a reason to look at you (black puffs of exhaust, blatantly loud pipes, loud stereo, stupid driving, etc), everything will probably be fine.

11. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I saw your Dad by the Blockbuster warehouse, and talked a bit when he stopped at Walmart...

I also saw him on 380 headed to Farmersville...there was a DPS about a mile or so behind him headed the same way...don't think it was the "brotha"...

I got stopped by DPS on FM1827 right near New Hope Store a couple years ago...no ticket, they were just harrassing the locals...

Yer truck is Loud, Dude...ya need to mellow it out some...hell, even some Smitty's or Cherry Bombs would help...

Farmersville is a good idea as I've seen quite a few illegal vehicles around there...still Collin Co also...

Good luck.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you must get it inspected in the county of registration except in certain circumstances

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    JD - This isn't entirely true. There are circumstances where you can have the truck registered in a non-emissions county but have to pass emissions testing. For people who are registered in a non-emissions county but do most of their driving in an emissions county, they are supposed to be emissions inspected as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thought my disclaimer was adequate in this instance without getting into detail...

I'm aware of the remote monitors, but haven't seen any yet...the only time I'm in Plano is when I'm on 75 bitchin' cause I gotta go to Dallas for some stupid, unnecessary reason...I've been to Love Field 6 times in the last 4 weeks...and I've had to go to Richardson to deal with a couple of my rent houses...I try to keep my azz in the country where I belong.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Lotsa_Faith

yea alright maybe it is a little loud...I eventually want to get mufflers dumped at the axle, but right now i'm just out of money. The other night I also discovered that it likes to throw flames when it backfires...looks pretty cool at night when you're goin beside a ricer and as you slow down you give it some then all you see is a flame through their shiney new paint...

14. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

yeah dont post any shop names on here for that kinda stuff its a Huge FIne.....