Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody else get that new worm virus?"

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by landsmasher, Aug 12, 2003.

1. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Anybody else get that new worm virus?\"

I did this morning. Had to update my virus scanning to get rid of it. Windows update does not work for some reason...

UPDATE! It's back now....

2. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Re: Anybody else get that new worm virus?\"

I got it. I'm running the removal tool now, gotta update my windows when it is through.

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

what are the symptoms and how do i remove? I've got something on my home computer and it's running like crap.

4. landsmasher

Well,,,, I can't install the patch cuz it says I need to have at the very least "Service Pack 2"... Can't update it on Windows Update... Don't know why... I thought I had gotten rid of it this morning but now it's back...

My symptoms...
    1. After being on the net for a few minutes I get an error called "SVCHOST.EXE" error.

2. Once the error log has been generated I can not disconnect from the dial up without shutting down the puter. Also many of the links will not work anymore. Ones like the instant graemlins and instant UBB code links on this page...

3. Many of my normal links do not work.

4. I can not update windows.

5. I can not install the patch.

So I don't know what the heck is going on. All I know is I have had no problems till this morning. And I can't seem to fix the ones I have now. I've run a scan disc and nothing pops up. No errors found. I ran a tool from my ISP that is suposed to find and remove the "BLASTER WORM VIRUS" as this new virus is called and it says that I don't have the virus on my puter. I have run my virus scanner and it says I have no viruses.

I have Win2000...

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

5. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

the microsoft windows site is busy as crazy. everyone and thier great grandma around the world has and are tring to update.

I got my scare about a week ago when the mimail(attached zip file) virus was out. I just updated our machines at that time. took me under 4hrs to do like 15 computers. now it's taking most of the day to do 2 of them.

there is also hearsay about a virus that will target the microsoft update servers on the 16th. it may have started a bit early.

ARQ.

6. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Part of the problem with the virus, is it wont' let you go to Windows Update, that and the fact that site is totally swamped. You can go to Microsoft.com, then on the left side where it says "resources" click on DOWNLOADS. On the next page, under Product click Windows 2000, under Keyword type Service Pack 3. The 3rd result should be Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 Express install. Just run that from there, that way you are bypassing Windows Update.

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Patch

9. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I've got something where every 15-20 minutes the virus scanner thingy will shoot out several popups saying "Scanning message 1 of whatever"... then each of those turns into an error message from the virus scanner... it's really annoying, gotta shut down the computer every time it starts up, and can't figure out what it is /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

10. landsmasher

Ya.... Geeeesh... Spent the whole day on this so far and not going anywhere. The fix from my ISP won't let me use it till I get Service Pack 2 or better. They say I need 3 or 4. Can't run that because I get no reply from the patch server.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

11. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Do the fix in my link and then you can download the service pack off microsoft. the msblast worm preventsupdates... i think that's what your problem is, anyway

btw when you do it, disconect your internet cable if you have broadband and disconect if you have dialup

12. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Wonder how long has this virus has been around? My puter has been doing this kind of crap for the better part of 2 weeks. Can't update windows. Now can't get online. Somthing has removed my Norton virus definitions also. I've had the dsl unhooked since the Norton stuff went south (2 weeks) It makes it look like my network card is not working on my puter /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I'll try your fix tonight hope it works. I'm starting to hate puters /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

13. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

That's what it was doing for mine... it would say the network card isn't attached or not working

14. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. landsmasher

OK, I'll try it again with the phone line unhooked... So far it didn't work... I don't think I have the Blast virus. I think something else is wrong... I'm about ready to throw the PC into the trash and forget the internet altogether. I've been working on this damn thing all damn day...

16. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

17. landsmasher

Your link didn't take me anywhere.... ?????

18. landsmasher

Changed the Y to N in OLE and nothing has changed... Now I cant get Fourwheelerjeff's link to work and CONTROL C for cut and paste does not work either. Im going nutz here.

19. landsmasher

Fourwheelerjeff.... Went there by typing the URL into the addy box and read that post and I have one question...

Are you crazy? What makes you think I understand any of that? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Geeeesh man... I don't know what you do for a living but if you understand that and you are not fixing puters for a living you have missed your calling...

Anyways this sux bigtime... The fix that TXsizeK5 gave us didn't work. I have a different problem altogether I think but I don't know what it is.

I think people put these viruses out in order to make money some how and I think if I ever meet one of them I'm gonna shoot em in the head.

Now what? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

20. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

when you first start up, are you getting a couple of files that start out TFTP(numbers) saying "file not found"

mine was shutting itself off as soon as it started almost and i had to delete the files first to do the patch