Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anybody else get to this point in their project?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beater_k20, Jan 5, 2005.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i started out with a longbox C10. decided after blown 700R4 #3 that i wanted to do something a little different. i bought a TH350/203. so then i needed axles, i bought a 3/4 ton 10 bolt/14FF. then i decided i wanted to go shortbox, so i bought a ragged out K10 shortbox to use the frame and bed. i found a set of TC EZ Rides, and a steering arm, and bought them. traded for an Echobit shackle flip for the rear. then i find a killer deal on a hydro 465/205, so i buy that too. next i find a killer deal on a K30 dually, so i bought that for the 60. stripped and scrapped it, kept the goodies, including another pair of 465/205s(2 trannies, 2 tcs). i then realized i had an extra set of 52" leaf springs laying around. gotta install those! so i did that. i'm sitting here thinking, i have to buy a set of wheels and tires, crossover steering, a front driveshaft, and some other odds and ends to get my truck going with the Dana 60/52s up front, plus rebuild the Vortec to put under the hood. when i've got everything to put it together with the 10 bolt and TCs with the exception of the bushings for the springs.

basically, this started out cheap and "easy", and snowballed on me and got way too big, way too fast. i'm considering selling my '60 to pay for the engine build, and using the rest of my "toy money" to build the engine. also considering turning my spring hangers back around, running the TCs and stock type steering for a while, with doing this, i eliminate the "need" for crossover steering, and the need to buy a new front shaft. i do still plan on wheeling the hell out of it, but i think that i'm just overbuilding my driving skill. anybody ever been in a similar situation? its just so frustrating. if i do sell the 60, the truck will almost surely be on the road/trail next spring, but if i dont, who knows when it will be done. im gettin anxious to wheel/drive this thing!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yes.

Not the exact story, but the same theme. Saw a good deal on Alcan's a while back and had the money so i bought them. Talk about a can of worms...

To run those springs I need very long shocks...and cross-over...and extended brakelines...and custom drivelines...extended bump stops...etc etc.

Got the crossover stuff from ORD. Yesterday got a 2WD steering box, then started getting stuff together for hydro-assist steering. It just never ends...although I will not start this project until I have all the parts needed to get the majority done. The last piece will be drivelines. Still undecided on those, although i'm leaning towards a 32 spline front output on the 205, then run 1410/1410 shafts front and rear with 9-12" slip joints.

Likely, I'll get it all together and then find a smoking deal on an NV4500 and have to pull the 205 and modify it all over again...that's just the way it goes.

The big difference is that I can still wheel and drive my truck in the meantime...

It's a never ending evolution, and truth be told i really enjoy the wrenching end of it too. However it does get a little overwhelming now and then.

Rene

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't all projects go this way? I've got a ton of stuff sitting here to put in my 'cheap' wheelin project!!!

Or have you secretly got a desire to be a parts guy?:haha:

4. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

lol, you just wrote the story of my life lol

-shawn

set short term goals, keep the truck on the road and drive it while you build, you will keep your sanity this way and not get burnt out,

short turm goals is the key I tell ya:deal:

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

lets see, i hang around with Tim... i whore parts for him occasionally on other boards... i spent almost 2 years behind the counter at a local GM dealership... one of my "fallback" jobs was hicking parts at the local AC Delco distributor... and i love to look up my own parts at work... you may be onto something here. :confused:

then maybe i shouldnt have started a frame up build.:deal:

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Rene,

Not to burst your bubble now, but a front shaft with your 4 speed and no CV is probably not going to work. Your 32 spline setup is a little longer but I really don't think it's going to be long enough to pull that off.

7. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I kind of got in that situation with my 73, but my brother got into that situation big time. The end result is I have crew cab in pieces in my back yard and we don't know what to do with it.:dunno: I'm buying some stuff off of him for my 74. I'm taking my time to gather pieces and save some money to get my project done.

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Execution without a plan is the problem...... :eek:

In that story, you went from longbox to shortbox....and 700R to TH350 to SM465? Making mid-course changes like that WILL really slow you down, and probably kill your motivation also. Believe me, I understand the temptation is there....the more you learn about this sport, the more likely you are to gravitate towards "new" solutions that you didn't even know existed. I sold off a set of 1-Ton axles and a brand new Doubler because I changed my mind and went to UniMog axles instead. That was an expensive "correction" to make, but one that I'll ultimately be happier about.

You need a "near-term" victory with your project. Something that allows you to appreciate what you've got so far (and maybe get out there and wheel it!) Otherwise, you risk becoming one of those guys who just gets fed up and puts everything up for sale out of frustration. :(

Or build TWO trucks....one that's basically always running, and one that you can commit to long-term downtime and the craziest modifications you can dream up!

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

1410's will run at 30 degrees...that should be tons for a 6" lift.

Rene

10. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Agreed. I ran a 1350 shaft with no CV on a 10 spline 4spd w/ 10" of lift for years with no problems.

11. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Thism is why I bought the 73. I am gonna wheel the piss out of the 86 while I build the 73.:D

I agree with what most guys here are saying. Go with the 10 bolts for now and get your truck on the road. You said it wourself that you trying to overbuild your driving skills. Get it on the road, get some seat time in it and then build as you go and get the satisfaction of seeing how each mod changes the truck capabilities.

12. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

You might consider selling off all the extra parts, you'll have to fight the "I might need that later" bug.

At least you would have a wad of cash in your pocket to continue your modifications. Nothing is more depressing than running out of money when the project is incomplete. That's usually when people sell off their vehicles at a loss. If you can keep the money coming in as you go it will make the mistakes easier to swallow.

Everytime I made a switch I just sold off the last batch to cover the cost of the new. Saved me some cast iron pan hits to the head.:ignore:

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

as of right now, i think the 60 will be finding a new home. it just makes more sense for me right now. as for building 2 rigs, that's pretty much out of the question. i have my 86, which will eventually be the toy. my '77 which is the family workhorse at the moment-will turn show truck eventually (long story), and i have a DD. oh yeah, i have room to store 2 of those, not to mention the 2 dead Grand Ams i have to fix.

14. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

you will kick your self in the ass for selling that d60 I know I did the same when I bought a front 8 lug 10 bolt instead of it and broke every part in there, then pay more again for the d60, and maybe I missed it why cant you run the front TC springs w/ the d60, and sell 1 of the 465/205 combos

15. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

we've all done this, just is more money and trucks and parts wasted is all

definitely without plans set up to follow projects get out of hand or dont go very well(not as planned originally)

at this point id have to say do what you have to just to get it together and back driveable and then go from there later, trans conversion, engine build etc, i would go with stock engine something easy like a 350 and an auto trans cuz they are quicker easier to convert to/use
    unless truck is already setup ready for manual trans
    whatever is easier quicker for now

would be better than having no truck, and if youre burned out- just like i would have been long ago- then youll want to just get it driveable, even more so, and asap

good luck

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

this is why sometimes it pays to go with the $pendy aftermarket poop right from the begining. Some people get lucky and get a rig going on the cheap... the other 99% of us end up spending atleast 3x what we originally planned.

IMO, there is no reason to sell the 60... unless you got some big portals or rockies. ;) if you're short on cash now, save your pennies for a while and do "free" mods in the meantime. Every project has a bunch of 'em waiting in the wings... we tend to get sidetracked with the "cool"er mods and forget about the little stuff. Well, when u run out of $ or get frustrated with the big stuff its time to take care of some of those little things. Next thing ya know, you'll have more $ again and be ready to roll with the big time chit. :D

j

17. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i cant just run the 60 because i dont have the parts to make the steering work. i HAVE everything i need to make the 10 bolt steering work. my thought is, if i have to buy/upgrade anything from what i already have, im going to put myself in the same boat, overbuilding. i have very limited seat time in a '79 K20 w/ 4" of lift and 35s, and what light wheeling i have tackled with my stock daily driver. while it would be awesome to roll out with a brand new, bulletproof rig on 40s, i just dont see how that is going to help me. i'll know its the baddest of everything GM put out, and will wheel it as such. that could get me in a LOT of trouble due to my inexperience as a driver. as for selling the extra parts, like the 465/205s, i have tried.

18. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

maybe you dont know this but the stock steering will hook up just fine to the d60

19. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

not with 6" TC springs, and only a D44/10 raised steering arm. the idea is to liquidate parts to MAKE money to finish the project, not spend more.

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

for the love of god man, dont sell the 60! it may seem like a good idea now, but trust me, a year or two from now you'll be kicking your own heiny! maybe Im confused here... why sell it again? if its a money issue, just wait, you'll get more. In the year after I did my 1 ton swap I wheeled my rig a total of 1 time. I had no cash. Believe me, in the long run its all worth it. No matter what happens now, I have a 1 ton rig on 40s. :) steering parts can be found cheap, just follow threads on pirate and here on ck5... they pop up from time to time. Until then, you still have a half ton axle to run up front... right? if not, either find one dirt cheap / free from a guy going 1 ton and/or wait till ya got the $ and do free upgrades in the meantime. you can doooo it! and you'll be glad you did too.

j