Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anybody else with 700r4/205 got front d-shaft clearance probs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K1Orion, Apr 7, 2003.

1. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I am in the final stages of my BBC/700r4/twin stick 205 swap and today when I tried bolting up the front d-shaft the thing hits the tranny pan!!!!
    I am running a TCI deep aluminum pan in an effrt to help the tranny survive and the shaft is hitting the corner of the pan. My 205 has the flange on the output and my shaft has a double cardan joint. I only have 4" of lift, but even with more I think it would still hit.
    So has anybody else had problems with this setup?
    What should I do?

2. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I don't believe you can run the deep pan with that set up. When I ran the same set up the drive shaft is still real close with a stock pan. That is just my 2 cents. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

3. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

anybody else?

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I conveniently had the older spicer CV on my 205 when it was behind the 700R4. I don't know that the saginaw CV flange will clear. You can get a yoke to go on the 30 spline shaft to accept the smaller CV joint if you want to go that route.
    You might be able to cut out that corner of the pan but it's been while since I looked at it so I don't know what's inside there.

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I run SBC/700R4/205 without any problems. I also have the deep TCI pan on the tranny. My tcase has a yoke output for the front, not a flange. My DS has the double cardan up top. I will take a pic for you this eve if you would like and post it here.

6. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

If you get a chance could you post a pic? I need to do something about this. A K10 with no front shaft is just a C10 with big tires and leaf springs in the front!!!
    Thanx!!

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Those such as Brian who did the regular 4x4 output shaft 700 to NP205 using the spacer do not have the front driveshaft clearance problems as those of us who went the AA route and used the shortened output shaft on the 700. The spacer "backs" the transfer case away from the tranny yeilding more room. I went with the AA shaft and I had to cut and reweld the corner of the 700 pan to gain clearance (stock pan, no way would I be able to use a deep pan). The shaft (flange style CV) hit with 4" of lift and that was on level ground. I have clearance now, but not as much as I would like. If I were to do a 700/205 combo again, I would go with the spacer next time. Going to a yoke style CV may give you the clearance you need (something I am looking into with my 32 spline output).

8. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

YEP!!!!!! WHAT YOU SAID. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

If there are clearance probs even with the stock pan when using the AA shaft, why doesn't everybody just use the spacer? I bought my tranny from K5BLT4FUN on here with the shaft already in it, But why would anybody use the AA shaft if they had a working tranny to start with?
    I wish I had kown about this issue, I would hve used a tranny w/o the AA shaft and it would probably been cheaper!!
    If i go to a yoke on the output instead of my flange, will I be able to just take the flange off the shaft and use it with the yoke?
    Where can I get a new yoke?

I'm still not sure what to do. I am going to try and modify my TCI pan and see if I can get clearance w/o changing shafts or outputs on the 205.

10. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Since I haven't gotten under the rig to look at it, I didn't even think about the extra length provided by the spacer as helping that issue. Good catch.

[ QUOTE ]
    Why doesn't everyone use the spacer?

[/ QUOTE ]
    This spacer is not designed for this purpose; it has simply been applied to this by many of us. Because of this, it took a while before someone figured it out. When I discovered how easy it was to swap in a 205 in place of my 208 using this spacer, I was dumbfounded as to why I didn't do it sooner! It is the easiest way (by far) of getting to a fixed rear output on teh tcase for those running a 208 currently.

11. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

12. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

13. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I'am trying to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i agree with the spacer-solves-that-problem theory. I run a 700r4-np205 with HAD shafts... no clearance problems with respect to my tranny pan and I have a deep Al pan as well. I do have some clearance issues with my exhaust y-pipe... i think at full droop my driveshaft might hit it... but the tranny pan is np. I guess the extra 2" of the spacer makes all the difference. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

15. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

I also went the AA output shaft route and have the saginaw flange style front output and a helluva chunk carved out of the side of my deep aluminum pan on my 1st gen. So far so good...but "the spacer" sounds like a better route.

BTW, what spacer, exactly is this....I must have missed a previous post?

16. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I did my swap a long time ago, and nobody I knew had done it, so I was not aware of any clearance issues. It wasn't until after I had everthing in place and tried to attach the front driveshaft (stock pan) that I knew it was going to hit (and it did). If I had run it like that, as soon as I put it in 4WD, I would have a nice big red puddle under my truck. Oh well, live and learn. That's why I try to help others avoid the same situation.

As somebody stated, it would have been cheaper to go the stock shaft 700 route with spacer. The only thing stopping me from switching is the fact I would have to shorten my rear HAD driveshaft and tear down a perfectly good 700. I plan to go to a 4L80 someday so I'm not worrying about it at the moment.

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

do a search, the space thing has been brought up many times. The thing costs about $50 shipped and works like a charm. bolt it up and go. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

18. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The yoke is a bolt on, then the CV assembly clears the stock pan just fine, and we have some of those yokes as used take-offs. You just have to switch the driveshaft which isn't exactly convenient.

19. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Here are some pics. This is a 700 with the deep TCI pan bolted to a 205 via the factory 350/205 adapter using the ~2" spacer between the adapter and the 700. This is the 205 with the yoked (not flanged) front output and a Tom Wood's double cardan DS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Stephen, when doing a doubler with a 700R4 and using a flat flange style CV driveshaft are there any problems to look out for? I am guessing that everything will clear just fine since there is the thickness of the 203 range box moving the TC backwards.