Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anybody ever accidently get diesel in their tank

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rjfguitar, Jul 31, 2003.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I let a buddy borrow my blazer for his date and I told him to put some gas in it. We live out in the country and have fuel tanks on the ranches and he accidently grabbed the nozzle on the wrong tank and got a gallon or 2 of diesel in my gas tank. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I mixed 30 gallons of gas with it and it still fouled a plug. I syfined out about 20 gallons and mixed more fresh gas in the tank. I cleaned the fouled plug and seems to be running ok but the exaust still stinks like an old frieghtliner. I have a lot of money invested in my built 406 and really don't want to damage it. What do you guys think, run it through or drain it all out? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

85K5 3/4ton,14bolt,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds,big horse 406 SBC/700r4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I would drain it out, Then there is no chance of F*cking something up.

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt syphon it out, i would tell his ass to do it.

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Definitely drain the tank!!! If you want to get really picky with it, you could always clean the tank out after its drained. Tank flush, or something to that effect.

Kris

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

It isn't going to hurt anything. I am surprised that you would even foul a plug with that small amount of diesel mixed with 20+ gallons of gas.

6. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Over my many years as a mechanic i have run across this quite a few times. Regular gasoline is simply refined deisel fuel. If its running it aint going to hurt a thing especially with just a couple gallons thats been really diluted. In fact it may lube up your cylinders a bit. If you really want you can empty it but if your 406 gets about as good of gas mileage as mine then you should go through it in no time and again it wont hurt anything.

7. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

There is absolutely no need for you to drain the tank; Especially with only 1 or 2 gallons.

I actually topped my tank off with diesel once, yea, 10 gallons worth! I was on my way into a trail and wheeled all day with it stinking, stalling, etc. It will not hurt the motor at all, just embarrassing /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Don't worry about it, just fill it back up again when you get to half a tank and I'll bet the deisel symptoms go away.

Thomas.

8. rjfguitar

I was pretty sure it wouldn't hurt anything but I was still nervous, thanks for the help guys. I agree about not draining the tank because like most of us I get about 8MPG and I hated draining some of it when the [I love Jeeps] is 2 bucks a gallon. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif (silver84k5) I did make him help but it was an honest mistake, I guess they switched fuels in the old gas tank or something and he forgot, besides I have known him for a long time and I knew he was embarrased and sorry.
    thanks again for the advise guys.

9. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't ride him too much about it either. You said he borrowed your Blazer for a date .... man, I think he was puinshed enough! Imagine trying to impress a lady and doing somethnig like that! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I'll bet she got a real good laugh out of it though! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Thomas.

10. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

my buddy used to put deisel in his toyota pickup once and a while because it was cheaper, and he wanted to prove that it ran fine with it. funniest $hit I ever saw. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. rjfguitar

LOL /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I would use diesel in a toyota but not a chevy motor with 8 cylinders and is worth someting.