Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody ever bend a 14bff?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by goldwing2000, Nov 17, 2006.

1. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

So I put this axle under the Blaze, thinking it would be indestructable but now I'm having some doubts.

I haven't even taken it wheeling yet and I got it from a guy who had it on a Heep with 48s, so I know he didn't have a lot of weight on top of it but I'd swear that I'm getting way too much negative camber.

It's not leaking from the tubes and nothing looks to be obviously out of place but I dunno. The rear wheels are definitely //=O=\\

I'll try to get a picture tomorrow. :confused:

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Loose wheel bearings? Anything can be bent, especially under 48s regardless of how light you think it is (a jeep tub doesnt mean crap as far as weight is concerned when the vehicle is on one tons and big tires).

3. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

I just swapped out a bent one on my truck. from someone overloading the truck it was in. ran it for a year though. if you take the axle bolts out, they shouldn't separate from the hub by themselves! mine would have a 1/16 gap on the top and tight on the bottom. made it drive squirly.

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Dang. Looks like I may be looking for another 4.10 14b.

So much for all the work on my custom spring perches and shock mounts. :mad:

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

So let me throw this out there:

Is it worth the hassle to try to straighten an axle?

6. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Not when they are a dime a dozen.

7. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

yeah i would imagine it would take quite a machine to do it right, and with 4.10 being a fairly common ratio i wouldn't waste my time.

8. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

Dime a dozen my arse... down here the junk yard wants atleast $500 for one... no matter the condition. Maybe I just don't have the right connections... :(

9. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

For $400 I will strap one to a pallet and ship it right to your doorstep. unless the shipping cost me $300 I would probably still not lose money. they are a dime a bakers dozen up here. I want to move where dana 60's are a dime a dozen.:rolleyes:

10. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

get mountainexplorer to adopt you :doah:

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I THOUGHT I bent one!..

I accidently backed the 1700 Trojan Forkloader we had at the junkyard right over a 14 bolt FF I cut out of a '71 P-30 step van with an 11,000lb axle rating one day--I was moving the remains of the P30's carcass and didn't realize I'd backed over the axle until I turned the loader around to pick it up,and noticed it was buried in 6" of mud that was half frozen!:doah: ..the guy buying it looked like he was about to cry!..

I picked it up,and brought it inside the building..we put tires and rims we had in a pile on it--they appeared to be standing up straight,so the guy bought the axle--I knocked 20 bucks off the price, in case it was damaged and he had to bring it back and swap it for another (was the only one we had though!)..but he used it in his 78 K20,and said he didn't hear any noises,or any unusual tire wear after several months,so he guessed it wasnt bent a bit!..that loader topped the scales at 21,950 lbs too!..:eek1: ..

I've cut quite a few FF axles up for scrap,and the axle tubes are 3/8"to 1/2" thick,not too easy to "tweak"...but if you DO succeed in bending one,I doubt you'd be able to "bend it back"..even if you could,I bet it would bend easily again once its been bent once..I'd get another axle if it were me,and use the bent one for parts..:crazy:

12. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Yeah... that's what it's looking like. :mad:

Back to the classifieds...

13. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I swear mine is bent but I have no problems or uneven tire wear. so I have run it like this for about 3 years. around here i can pick one up for $50-$100 but I want a van width, and those are a little hard to find.

14. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

That's good to know. I'll probably wait and see what the tire wear does before I drop any more coin.

And yeah... van-width would be sweet. I ain't afraid of a little cutting and welding. :D

15. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

Bought my van width for 45$ with POR-15 already on it!:D

16. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Damn you... :mad:

Why are all the good parts out west?!?! I was looking at Pirate yesterday and there were like a gazillion 14bff for sale... in California. :angry1:

17. bdozeraz

bdozeraz 1/2 ton status

I have been running mine for 8 or 9 years now. It has been bent for alot of those years. You can see it when I pull onto the asphalt from the dirt. The tread on the tires touches the ground all the way to the inside of the tires but about 1 1/2 inches of the outside does not. The tubes leak where they are pressed into the center section and at the spot welds. I'm going to keep running it till it breaks.

18. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Sweet. Run it till the wheels fall off! :waytogo: