Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody ever blow a 37" + tire on the highway? Front tire? Rear tire?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Mar 13, 2004.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Anybody ever blow a 37\" + tire on the highway? Front tire? Rear tire?

Just wondering how bad this could be? How fast were you going?

2. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Re: Anybody ever blow a 37\" + tire on the highway? Front tire? Rear tire?

One of the So Cal Big Dawg members had one blow on his K5 last year. Can't remember what size or make. Think it was either a 35 or 37. Anyways it did some real damage. The tire ended up wraping around the axle and took out a large part of the rear QP. You might go to the Big Dawg home page and look him up. I never see him on here anymore. His Nick Name here is Blazen 91. Mike Sulivan...

UPDATE: I think it was a 36" Swamper... And if I remember right, he even got the manufacturer to help cover the body work costs...

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had a wheel break off on my truck while going around 75mph on the freeway. The wheel didn't leave the truck thankfully and it just dropped about 8" and threw all kinds of sparks, wasn't too bad actually... Was under control the whole time and pulled off to the side. Haven't ever had a flat with my 39.5's though.

4. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Aluminum or steel wheel?

5. 78k20

78k20 Registered Member

I too broke a wheel off on the highway at somewhere between 75-80mph on an '80 K10 with 35's I had for a while. Sheered the studs off, the drum landed hard, cut a groove in the rim, throwing sparks everywhere as well-lots of shaking/shimmying/vibrations to beat hell from the back end-at night of course with no one around. Luckily made it off the side of the road, no mistakin what had happened as smoke was rolling off the thing-sure made for a strong "pucker factor" there for a short ride, luckily nothing more than that-other than a rather expensive tow bill!

Mike

6. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

How the hell /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif does a wheel "break" off? Was this due to loose lugnuts? or an axle break?

7. GMC

GMC 1/2 ton status

I saw a big Dodge with 35-36's on the freeway lose a front tire/wheel. The bearing froze up and snapped the end of the axle off. The whole front of the truck dropped down and tore up the pavement and came to a stop. They were VERY lucky in didn't roll, it would have been bad. Lucky the tire and wheel stuffed underneath the nerf bar after it came off and helped cushion the landing. Scary!

8. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

I blew a 35 once on the trail doing about 55. We were on a dirt trail, and when the tire was in one rotation, it would leak. We checked the pressure, and decided that we would lose less the faster we went. Don't do this!!!! Just make the effort and change the tire. We were on our way home after about a 6 hour wheelin trip and were too lazy to want to try and just change it. It was in the side wall, so I couldn't plug it. Well going around a curve, I felt it get real squirly all of a sudden, and slowed down. It ripped like someone used a knife from the tread to the rim. I lucked out. My stupidity should have rolled us. I've blown tires on work trucks, and it felt almost the same, but don't take the chance. A few thousand miles isn't worth it.

9. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Bad welds on a recentered hummer beadlock

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    How the hell does a wheel "break" off?

[/ QUOTE ]
    As I recall, willyswanter lost a wheel due to the "quality" booger welds done on his hummer wheels by the "craftsmen" at usa6x6. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

11. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

I had a wheel bearing seize on me on the highway once, that was pretty scary because it just pulled the whole truck to the right real quick, I kept it under control but luckily nobody was beside me. I don't think a 4500+ lb truck and a light car colliding at 65mph would have been pretty.

Never had a tire or wheel come-apart on the highway other than the spare coming off the boat trailer once and I was following with the skis and had to dodge the tire, stud that held it on just broke for some reason and that tire went flying, I guess it broke from it vibrating so much that the stud was too weak for the weight of the tire and wheel.

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I had the "sieze a wheel bearing on the highway" trick happen to me once. On a BRAND NEW '79 F-150. I had put less than 3,000 miles on it. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif And was on a trip from Florida to Dallas when it seized up just outside of McGee, Mississippi. This place was barely big enough to even have a Ford dealership. The dealership was so small that they had to borrow a puller from a Chevy dealer down the road just to get the hub off of the spindle. It turned out that the "Quality Is Job 1" automotive union workers had somehow overlooked greasing the bearings on that hub at the factory. I was amazed that it lasted as long as it did with just the oil that's put on the bearings to keep them from rusting during shipping.

Oh yeah, did I mention that was the LAST Ford product that I have bought in my life? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

i've had a bearing freeze up also due to my "attentive" maintenence. Well it was a full size caddy(fleetwood) and me and my buddy pulled into a liquor store lot. He asked be what "that" burning smell was and I dismissed it. Well.....about an hour later I learned what "that" smell was as my wheel and axle fell off and rolled down the highway. I was going 70mph, spun out and nearly got sideswiped by a truck. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

14. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

Getting the hub off with the seized bearing was a bitch and require the use of a torch and pry bar. I couldn't cut the spindle however because I didn't want to ruin the axle shaft. The nuts were also seized on the spindle. I had noticed a squeking noise which when I jacked up the front end I couldn't find it. Figured out what it was later on while on the side of the highway waiting for a tow-truck. Touched the hub and found out just how hot they can get with that much friction /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

15. bgchvy79

bgchvy79 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    How the hell does a wheel "break" off?

[/ QUOTE ]
    As I recall, willyswanter lost a wheel due to the "quality" booger welds done on his hummer wheels by the "craftsmen" at usa6x6. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard about those "quality" welds at 6x6... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

16. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    they had to borrow a puller from a Chevy dealer down the road

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

17. Re: Anybody ever blow a 37\" + tire on the highway? Front tire? Rear tire?

i go t35s on my 90 burb it dont even go that fast with out vibratin my arms to death
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

18. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

I blew a 38.5" swamper tsl on the freeway doing 65 mph, right rear tire. I felt it start to feel sort of squirly in the rear so I start to slow down when I heard it bang, sounded like a shot gun blast. Got it slowed down just fine and pulled over and proceeded to change it, got it changed in 30 minutes not bad for a 150 lb woman /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I did have a front tire lock up and tip outwards 8 inches on my 83 with the 38" swamper tsl's, another wheel bearing failure problem. I got it pulled over safely with no one hurt but it sure scared the crap outta me. It was due to a lack of maintenence after it sat for 4 yrs and I hadn't gotten around to regreasing them.