Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody ever drive the Al-Can Highway?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Shakespearesdad, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Shakespearesdad

Shakespearesdad Registered Member

I am planning a trip from Texas to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska next spring. Has anybody here driven the Alaska-Canada Highway? We will also be driving up the James Dalton Highway up to the Slope. I have a copy of "The Guidepost" which seems to be the "Bible" of Alaskan travel, any other info I should read? My '88 Jimmy is stock. What mods, if any, should I do to my truck? Thanks.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

My family went on a cruise to Alaska in late August. We got off in Juneau, Ketchikan, Scagway, and Haines. One of the side trips we took was a bus tour on the Al-Can highway. The twenty minutes we spent on the highway were awesome. Let me tell you, I've been out of Alaska for about a month and a half, and I want to go back. It is the most beautiful state hands down.
    Anyway, here's what I'd do for the trip:
    - MOST IMPORTANT, you NEED an auxilary tranny cooler...not hard to install ($35) Without one, your tranny WILL die in the most inopportune time.
    - Going down the big hills, use your engine to brake you (shift into second manually) Don't ride your brakes or you won't have any. Our tour bus had to use one of the semi-truck braking ramps on one of the hills because the brakes were fading. Not cool.
    - Bring a camera, stop every once in a while to take pictures/a break
    - Bring lots of caffeine - Alaska is a long way from Texas.

- Here's an interesting fact for you...as you drive into the state of Alaska, you'll see a sign that says "Welcome to Alaska" Enjoy that sign...in fact take a picture of it...because there are only 4 of them in the whole state. Think about that, only 4 roads into and out of Alaska. Almost all of Alaska's goods are brought in by ship or plane.

I'd also like to tell you this...don't feel like you are limited to this message forum...in fact you're out of place in the 88-on years.
    Although you have an 88, it's the same truck as a 73-87 jimmy. The jimmys and suburbans didn't change to the new body style until '92. The pickups in '88 and then the subs and jimmys in '92 went to the newer smooth body style and independent front suspenstion. What I'm trying to say is...post your questions in the "second generation" forum, or the "garage"...you'll get more and quicker responses because they get more traffic.

3. luvmud

luvmud Registered Member

I drove from Seattle to Anchorage in 3 days during Thanksgiving 2000 (low snowfall year) My buddy drove an 2000 F350 towing a 28 foot snowmobile trailer full of furniture up there and I just had to go. Not sure about the summer but in the autumn/winter times there isnt as much traffic (just the crazy semi drivers who haul azz on the road, I cant believe none of them wrecked) Diesel is the fuel of choice up there and can be found at all the gas stops along the way.

We had a great time without much trouble (did hit some ice on the way and drove through -25 degrees F areas) Wirthout the trailer we made it back in 48 hours of non-stop driving.....driving the Al-Can is something everyone should do in their lifetime just do it in the spring/summer /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

5. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

I was born in Alaska, and pretty much the info you have recieved so far is pretty good. I Go back every few years, and have had some extended stays up there too. Its been several years since i drove it, but if its still got gravel, then your need to do things to protect your truck. BIG mudflaps, grille guard, hood protector, whatever you can think of. I can almost garauntee you be buying a new windshield after your trip. Read your GuidePost before your trip, it will be the best thing for your trip. Enjoy!