Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anybody ever had a fuel pushrod jam in a motor?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Oct 19, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

everything I do messes up. its because I don't know what I'm doing I suppose.

I tired to do the bolt trick to save the pushrod behind the fuel pump, but all I had was a piece of threaded rod and pliers, but I don't think I even had it threaded in far enough to affect anything... but any way

I removed the fuel pump and the pushrod fell all the way down ( I don't even see how it went that far)..... so now I try to slide it back up the hole, but it won't budge... its basically stuck against the block on the inside... how the heck can I just get it out of the motor...

if I can ever get it out, I will try to grease trick to put it back in, somebody help please, what do I do? :doah:

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I've had them stick down like that before and the only thing I can say is it will at some point go back up just don't give up and use some "method" that could damage it or the block, usually I take them out and stick them in the freezer for about 1/2 hour, for some reason freezing them makes themstick up in there better then anything else I've tried. :D

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

With clean fingers or latex gloves , try rotating it as you push it up .

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Just put your truck in this position,,,,

[​IMG]

and it should just fall right back into place..... :D

:doah: :haha: :doah:

5. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

take the plate off if it wont budge (3bolts). i use assmbly lube to keep it stuck in place- seems to work fine. just dont mar it up

6. 78Suburban

wrestled (with needle nose pliers that I tried to cover with paper towels) it up and got the pump on. I HOPE i didn't mar it up :crazy: ...... I'll get a new fuel filter tomorrow (the one I bought was wrong).. then I'll crank the truck and see if it blows up :doah:
    don't ever let me work on your truck ;)

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It will probably be fine . Mine has witness marks from a screwdriver and a knife , and has thousands of miles on it .

8. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

You didn't hurt it. The only important parts are the ends where they ride on the cam lobe and the pump arm. :thumb: I've had them do that before, and it can try your patience. Gald you were able to get it.

9. jimmy1973

jimmy1973 Registered Member

holley electric fuel pump

put it on and for get it, you can share gas i carry a 5 feet hose connect to my electric fuel pump added :bow: a switch to fuel my quads.

10. 78Suburban

hose clamps

are the hose clamps that you adjust with a screw (like found on coolant hoses) ok for sealing fuel lines? thats what I used, because the auto parts store didn't carry the factory style clamps, and the origional ones broke..

thanks for the encouragement yall... I really would be lost without this place.

11. jimmy1973

jimmy1973 Registered Member

yes screw type clamps

just dont tighten up to much summit racing .com carrys heavy duty type

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yup..

"Worm gear" hose clamp are the best--I hate those spring ones that fly off your pliers an stick in your eyes or forehead! :doah: --they dont clamp tight enough half the time either...

I never had a fuel pump pushrod stick in the block(well,one motor did have a bent one that looked like a bannana,but that was a rare one!)..they can be difficult to get back in all the way once it falls out though..sometimes you have to take that plate behind the pump off to do it...if it fell,you didn't have your threaded rod in far or tight enough to hold it in place..its usually much easier to use that trick to change the pump..I know its hard to tell when its tight enough,but not TOO tight..good luck. :crazy: