Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anybody ever have a dog get into antifreeze?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by beater_k20, Oct 31, 2006.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

our dogs are very good about staying out of the garage, unless someone is in the garage , and theyre called in, they dont go into the garage. from working on the K20 i have a catch pan of misc fluids sitting on the floor, under the frame for my 92. mind you neither dog will go under anything. so, i hadnt put too much thought into it because of them not ever going into the garage, and neither liking to go under anything. i was out working on the truck for about 45 mins earlier tonight, probably 25' from the door, and the door was open. i never saw her go in, nor did we see anything unusual about her. about an hour ago, our female came flying out of the bedroom, we heard her hit the wall in the hallway at least twice. she then bolted around the corner, hit the rug on the ceramic tile at the entry way, and barrel rolled head first into the door. she got up, and tried to come to both me and my dad. she couldnt make it across the living room, she kept falling over, and she couldnt sit up straight. after a while we got her calmed down, and she went right back to normal.

i'm 99% positive that she didnt go into the garage and get into the antifreeze, but that 1% is scaring the hell out of me. what other symptoms would i be noticing at this point (roughly 6 hours after the fact)? anything we should watch for? im probably not going to sleep much tonight. :(

lesson learned, the antifreeze will be in jugs tomorrow.

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your dog did. The antifreeze will give them a drunken effect. It will go away just as your described but that just means it has went on to the kidneys. This is very bad because it will start to shut down the kidneys and end up killing the dog. I hate to say this but there isnt much of a treatment. Youe NEED to get the dog to pee and throw up. You can give them peroxide and then need to give them a charcol solution to get as much of it out of there system as you can. It only takes about 2-3 table spoons to kill a dog, so depending on how much your dog drank will depend on how bad it will get. Best thing I can reccomend the getting the pup to the DOC ASAP!!!!

Heres is a good article you should read.
    http://www.2ndchance.info/antifreeze.htm

Hope it all turns out OK.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

the thing is, they sumpyoms say that they'll become lethargic, and uncoordinated. she's far from lethargic, a VERY hyper dog, and she's not acting wierd, other than for the 2-3 minutes immediately following her collision with the wall.

4. 85mudblazin

Thats why its very bad. Lots of people think it was just a fluke then next day there dog dies because they didnt think nothing of it. I dont know dude its kind of your call.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

from everything im reading, including the article linked above, she should be pretty sluggish at this point. i just stepped out to have a smoke and took her with me. lethargic dogs dont want to play ball at 1:30 in the morning. my neighbors probably think im retarded now.

6. 85mudblazin

Well hopefully she will be fine. Just keep an eye on her:waytogo:

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

yeah, already called my sister at work, she's gonna keep an eye on her in the am.

the dog does have nightmares pretty often, we're thinking that she had one and when she woke up and saw nobody there (normally sleeps right next to dad), she freaked. when she freaked, it turned to a dead run. enter sleepy dog... add a couple of walls, and a sliding rug. she was probably seeing stars.

8. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

A couple years ago, my mom had a cat who got into antifreeze (we were told "it tastes sweet to them"), and cat past away 3 days later. 'Course, a 7 lbs animal doesn't stand much of a chance - ate her from the inside out. Sorry, but I don't agreed with the 'drunken' effect that was previously stated. My mom's cat bled from the mouth, and the organs shut down. There's no mistaken when your animal has ingested something - your only hope is that you see 'it' happen, and treat 'it' immediately, 'cause time is your enemy if you don't know exactly why your animal is acting strange. $.02

I haven't had any issues with my dog in the garage....whenever I'm working, she chills in the yard and minds her own. Allbeit she's never alone in the garage, I don't take chances.

9. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Hell... antifreeze tastes sweet to me. :D

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Sounds as though she might have gotten an electrical shock as well. I would check out the cords in the room she came out of.

11. longbedder

longbedder 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like my retriever when she has an epileptic seizure. It happens about once every 3-4 months.

12. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

I had a german shepherd get into some at the shop, he was acting really drunk and we thought nothing of it. The next morning he was almost dead.. we took him to the vet and they tried to help but it was too late...
    I wouldnt take a chance.
    gabe

13. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I can tell you from experience that if your dog did ingest A/F,,The odds are against you that the dog will survive...I lost one of the most loveable dalmations I have ever had to this very same thing,,,saw it happen,,made the dog vomit,,washed her mouth out,,ran her to the vet at 80 MPH,,,
    did the charcoal thing,,,and 4 quarts of grain alcohol drip thru an IV,,,
    next day she passed away,,,

R.I.P Dottie,,,,:( :( :( :( :(

14. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

I know in people it causes crystals to form in the brain and will kill you, among other things such as kidney/liver failure, etc...

Bad Stuff.

15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

havent seen anything remotely out of the ordinary out of her. let her outside, she chases cars (inside the fence, from one side of the house to the other) just like normal, call her across the room, she runs to you just like normal, hell she met me at the door today standing on her hind legs, tail wagging away. nothing even remotely suspicious about the dog, except she takes it nice and easy around that corner now.

16. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

I think corey is onto something here.

Also possible that something just spooked him/her and the fall caused the slightly "drunken" behavior.

17. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

no chance of an electrical shock, since there are no expose cords anywhere near. we do have 2 declawed cats, which make no noise running through the house, but they were both sitting on the couch with me watching TV. she has been abused, and hit by a car before we got her, a family friend found her in a ditch in Kentucky, so who knows what else has been done to her. like i said, she sometimes has "nightmares" and wakes up in the middle of the night. she doesnt generally get out of her bed, because my dad is normally always right there when it happens. may have been just another one of those, and she realized he wasnt there, and went to find him, running into the wall in the hallway initially stunning her, and then the other two impacts finished her off. :dunno: we're still gonna watch her for about the next week.

18. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

how old is she bro?when my Rott was aboot 8 he ran into a fence post so hard it did the ring sound metal polls make when you hit them with a pipe.:eek1: :confused: WTF?? he layed there for a minute as i tryied to comfort him.then he was fine. a few weeks later he would act scared and lost on walks.like he didn't know where he was.it was sad.he was the best dog in world. i miss MILO

19. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i dunno really, 2 or 3 years, maybe a little more. she was a stray found in a ditch in Kentucky a while back. she's just as good as gold now. oddly, after seeing her like that, i'm growing a little more attached to her.

20. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i hear ya bro. after milos sister died he started acting weird. i felt so sorry for him, he was always so active and proud . then he slowly got worse. i spent a few nights laying with him on the floor comforting him cuz he seemed so lost. it was heart breaking.he was 140lbs and new he could handle any situation.to see him like that was tough, when i came home from work that day and found him dead i pretended he was just sleeping for hours. i couldn't face the truth.ok ,i'm getting myself upset again.:frown1: