Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody ever have a pet shark?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigburban383, Mar 1, 2004.

1. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Are there mini-sharks, or do you just get a baby great white and donate it when it gets to big?

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

If I were you I'd go down to Petsmart and ask for a baby great white. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had bala sharks and red tail sharks in my old fish tank.

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I've had Bala Sharks before. They can get to be about 6 inches long, depending on the size of your tank. They don't look a lot like bigger sharks, though. They also have a tendency to freak out and try to jump out of the tank.

5. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

ive caught some fishing before.

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

They are pretty tastey too !!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

Tasty? maybe, but loaded with mercury. I'll pass. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

An LA Rock Station used to have a DJ with a pet shark. He eventually got thrown off the air for talking about how big his pet shark was to 15 year old girls on the telephone late at night. Anyone remember Frazier Smith? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Yes, Ive had a few fresh water sharks before.
    Just little ones, but my tank really wasn't big enough for them and I had a heck of a time keeping them, they always tried to jump out of the tank too. My parents cat ate her fair share of them too.

I've thought about getting a bigger tank now that I have my own place, but my wife doesn't think that I should have sharks around the kids. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

10. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

geez i remember Frazier Smith....long time ago. He was on late night KLOS( if i remember correctly) commercials dancing on his desk with girls everywhere. I saw him on the college comic circuit a couple of times after he got the boot. Long time ago....

it might have been KMET( a little bit of heaven 94.7, kmet, tweedle lee) or something like that...yikes.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Are there mini-sharks, or do you just get a baby great white and donate it when it gets to big?

[/ QUOTE ]

AFAIK, no great white has ever been kept in captivity with any success. Without absolute freedom and lots and lots of live prey to hunt/kill they just dont make it.

j

12. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes, Ive had a few fresh water sharks before.
    Just little ones, but my tank really wasn't big enough for them and I had a heck of a time keeping them, they always tried to jump out of the tank too. My parents cat ate her fair share of them too.

I've thought about getting a bigger tank now that I have my own place, but my wife doesn't think that I should have sharks around the kids. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering about the water you got to use. Are there really fresh water sharks? What are they called?

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I gave up on the shark after my Alligator Snapper turtle shredded and ate the first expensive one I bought.

14. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Honestly I can't remember what they were called.
    I think they may just share the name and not even be "true" sharks, but the ones I had were fresh water.
    It's been something like 12 years since I had them so I don't recall what they were called, I'd be more inclined to try a salt water aquarium next time.

15. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    it might have been KMET( a little bit of heaven 94.7, kmet, tweedle lee) or something like that...yikes.

[/ QUOTE ]

OH! Geeeze I remember that.. LOL! Gads we're old... Ya I don't remember if it was KMET or KLOS. KLOS is still in operation here in LA.

Frazier Smith is on the air 5 times a week in the Owens Valley up there between Lone Pine and Mammoth Mountain on KWTY. There is another guy that sounds just like Frazier who works normally for KLOS. His name is Tony Scott. He also gets in 5 days a week for KWTY up there in the Owens Valley that Fazier is on. He sounds a lot like Frazier. That station is much better than KLOS and I listen to it all the time when vacationing up there. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif