Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody ever hit their face with a ratchet?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thatK30guy, Sep 19, 2005.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I did today. :doah: :screwy:

Was tightening some nuts on bolts at work today and the ratchet slipped off the nut while I was pulling/tightening it and it came straight for my face. I didn't know what hit me until I felt the shock and pain. The ratchet came straight to me and hit me on the upper lip below the nose. My first thought was "teeth knocked out?" Nope. Thank god. Then some blood started oozing down dripping off my lip. Went ahead and finished up tightening the nuts and went up to the shop to check out the "damage."
    Turns out I tore a gash about 1/4" open on my moustache area right in the middle under my nose. Also had a small gash inside my mouth on the same area, not on the gums but on the back side of the lip. And to top that off, another small cut to the side but nothing major.
    Everything is swelled up now making me look like Bubba from Forest Gump, but with the bigger upper lip rather than the bottom lower. :haha:

My boss tried super gluing the gash together but that was something I would not recommend especially by your nose/eyes. The smell/fumes were too much to handle. Burned my eyes and nose. Peeled the glue off and just let it go. Gonna tough it out and let it heal on its own. No doctors for me as I hate stitches. :doah: :haha:

Gotta tell you guys, getting hit by a ratchet is worse than a fist in a fight. Metal is hard. Real hard. :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :haha:

2. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

It happens all too often. It really hurts. Break down on the trail, crawl under the truck and start wrenching then the ratchet slips and gently nails you in the head. The last smack I got was the bones around my eye. 1/2 inch ratchet, boy wasn't I pissed.

3. bigredneck61088

bigredneck61088 Registered Member

a month ago i got hit in the forehead with one when it broke off, i looked like i had two noses and one was black and blue, needless to say i got some interesting comments at school for the next 2 days

4. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

Try breaker bar. Those are fun. :doah:

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Pics!!!! :D

6. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

try a torque wrench while trying to achieve 150 lbs.

I also had this one little wrench i put a big cheater bar on, snapped the socked and smacked myself in the face

and just last weekend, i was mounting a steering box brace, forgot i dindt have it bolted in yet, looked up and it hit me right above the eye.

fun stuff.. :haha:

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Ever hit your lips ......... ouch :o

8. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

Hey check it out! Blue Torch Face gloves!!!

[​IMG]

Now you can smack yourself in the face all ya like! :D

9. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

10. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

When I was 16 or 17, I was working on something in the garage and got frustrated, so I threw a 1/2 drive ratchet with an extension and socket on it REALLY hard at the floor.
    Somehow it deflected off of the floor, then the work bench, and smacked me in the forehead.
    Next thing I knew, I was laying on the garage floor with blood everywhere. I have a small scar in my left eyebrow from it. Lesson learned. :bow:

11. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

I dropped a starter on my face once. Lucky it didn't break my nose.

12. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

I was doing the brakes on a F$%# van. It was a 3/4 ton club van I think. It was probably a 1988 or so. Anyways, the front brake spring is big and you have to releive the pressure on the spring to get the pads out. It sprung out and hit me in the face between my lip and nose. Got stitches, still have a scar but my mustache covers it up.

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

So it's an improvement........................ :D

14. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I did about knock one of my teeth out with a wrench. Felt real funny for a few days as certain words would make it vibrate.

15. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Dude.. this post just reminded me of something that happend many years ago.. (early 80's).

My dad owned a mechanic shop, and 2 of the mechanics got into a fight right after lunch. Well, I guess the one guy figured it wasn't worth going to blows over.. so he walks over to his toolbox and just sort of stands there looking mad. The other guy come up behind him, and does one of those sucker punches from behind ... the kind that still ends up hitting the victim in the face... if you can picture that. Sort of like sticking your arm out straight, and curling it inward real fast.. not the most effective shot.. but this one had some good force to it.

anyway..

The guy that got hit steps back for a second, and then spins and belts the other guy right between the eyes with a ratchet he was holding. It must have been an old ratchet, cause some of the chrome was coming off ... and little pieces were actually stuck on the guys forehead.. :doah: He hit the floor in a straight legged sitting position.. :doah: :D :crazy: And.. trust me .. it took all the fight out of him. :wink1:

In time they quickly made up.. and all returned to normal..

But from then on .. the guy that got hit with the ratchet, was known as..

MR. SILVER

:haha:

16. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

I was working as a mechanic on a customers car many years ago when much to my surprise the ratchet broke and I managed to crack myself in the forehead. Well like all head lacs it was bleeding all over the place. I calmly walked past the customer to the bay door opening and proceeded to chuck that mother about a block down the street. That was the last craftsman ratchet I ever owned.

17. Last2wd

Last2wd Registered Member

been there done that.I looked like a racoon for a week .when i slipped and blackin both me eyes :(

18. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

i've bounced a wratchet off my forehead more than once and everytime i see it comin 1 minute before it happens but i keep goin... maybe i should wear a helmet... Have you seen my baseball?

I know what you mean about stitches... I never had em until my motor swap. stepped on my bumper with mud on my shoe getting down from the engine compartment and fell about 4 1/2 feet to the ground only my right leg got caught on the peice of metal the fan shroud hooks to and it put a 1 inch deep gash in the back of my leg behind the knee. everytime i walked i had the pleasure of feeling my stichtes movin around as they got pulled on and the damn thing didn't stop bleeding for a week. not to mention getting a needle stuck in the gash after it sat for a day then felling the string go through your skin 12 times.

19. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Haven't had a ratchet attack me yet but a few days ago i hit my thumb with the claw end of a framing hammer and let me tell you, i used every word in the vulgar dictionary. The claw end went right through my thumbnail and now i have a nasty blood blister. The worse part is that i smashed this same thumb about 2 months ago and it had just heeled up when this happened. :doah:

20. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

slipping on the bumper also.....

One day i was tinkering under the hood, and I'm far from tall (5'7), well i used to just jump up on the bumper then crawl into the engine compartment. Well that day my shoes were wet and i slipped on my step getting out of the engine comp. and hooked the inside of my upper arm on the hood latch mechinism and tore it open all the way until it hit my elbow and popped me off of it right before i touched the ground. By the way, my hood latch is right about where my neck is. So needless to say, i have a neat scar, with a retarded story to tell with it, and a stool that i use to get into the engine now.