Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody ever played w/traction/ladder bars?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pismorat, Mar 2, 2004.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I want to fab up some traction bars for my /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif, has anyone ever made them or had experience with them? Just want some feedback whether it's worth it or not. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Whether it would be worth it or not would more likely depend on your application, if your running a shackle flip and soft springs, like me, then, like me, you will be making a set of anitwrap bars for your rig. If you get alot of wheel hop then you might want to put them on there too. I plan on fabbing up some bars similar to the ones that azkickin sells (bit pricey) they look like they would work well, they dont limit flex but keep the diff from twisting.
    http://www.azkickin.com/antiwrap.htm. but you need a 14 ff to bolt it to the pinion nose. Ill let you know as soon as I get them together.

3. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

I currently have the 4" springs in the rear. I was thinking about adding the 2.5" shackle flip kit and then 6" springs in the front. Do you think I will have more axle wrap if I did that? I don't really notice much right now.

4. sidslc

sidslc Registered Member

Yes it is a great thing to do nomatter what type of wheeling you do even if it is on the street only. However you need to look around and pay attenion to what works and what dosent. I am on my second design as we speak and I think I have it figured out for flex. Look at pics.

5. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

That's a good idea, but is it better to use one or two? I was thinking of running two tubes down from each frame rail to the axle with hiem joints, but the articulation is what messes me up. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

If I were to use hiem joints, what size would be good: 7/16", 1/2"...? And if I ran them outboard the frame, how long would they have to be to not bind when flexing? Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I would use at least 3/4" shank rod ends. For the front I wouldn't even use a rod end. I would use a spherical bearing (also called a uni-ball) and weld on cup. www,stockcarproducts.com is a good place to get them for cheep.

ROD ENDS ARN'T MADE TO TAKE BENDING LOADS!!!