Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody ever remove the rear windows before?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by heavy4x4, Dec 1, 2002.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm developing rust underneath the large, rear driverside window and also underneath both barndoor windows. I figure the best way to combat the cancer is to remove the windows, treat the rust, and reinstall them. So, who has done this? How do I do it? Is it just a matter of prying out the weatherstripping material? Can I reuse that stuff or do I need to buy some new stuff? Thanks in advance...as you can see, I know nothing about this topic so any help is appreciated.
    Damn I hate rust /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Muddysub, I envy you...well at least your un-rusty truck. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

no sorry i've never removed those windows before.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Damn I hate rust Muddysub, I envy you...well at least your un-rusty truck.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

I just replaced the rubbers on my barn doors. You will need new rubbers, for sure.

I had a friend, who does automotive glass for a living, do it for me while I "supervised". After removing the interior panels, he took his large suction cup gizmachie and affixed it to the outside of the glass. He then pryed the rubber out from the inside (my paint is good). After about 30 seconds, it was out. Installation is a bit trickier, but fairly simple. Be sure to install the rubber on the glass first. My windows aft of the front doors are factory deep tint (tint material sandwiched between two plates), so the glass was surprisingly heavy. You would be well advised to recruit a couple buddies with suction cup gizmachies to help with the VERY expensive rear side glass.

The interior trim around those windows will probably take more time to remove than the glass itself...

Hope that helps!

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks a bunch.

Where did you get the new molding from? LMC/local parts store? Can you not use the old stuff because it gets wrecked during the removal process? When I'm ready to put the window back in, is it just a matter of putting the new molding on the glass and pressing it into the window opening? I imagine it's a tight fit. Any tips to doing this? Is any glue/sealant used?
    I'll try to find some suction thingies...I don't even want to look at how much my tinted rear side window costs /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Thanks again.

5. Burbinator

I bought my rubbers from LMC. My truck is a year newer than yours and mine fell apart while removing them. Of course, the climate here in Phoenix is hard on rubber like Wisconsin is to sheetmetal. I would have a new set on hand just in case; LMC is good about returns if you find you don't need them.

The rubbers are channeled on the ouside, similar to the inside. I dabbed a little windshield glue in the channel that the window frame rides in to ensure a good seal. My only real tip is to take your time and have patience. It will be a lot harder to do when it is cold, so I would get the truck inside somewhere around 70-80 degrees. The rubber will be a little more pliable that way. Oh yeah, it's a tight fit...

Rear side glass is about $350-$500 to replace, depending on tint level or absence thereof. One of mine has a couple of scratches on it, but after seeing that price, I decided to live with them!

Good luck!

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks a lot. You've been a great help.

I don't plan on doing it during the winter...that's next summer's job (along with 3/4 ton axles) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Burbinator

No problem...glad to help.

8. muddysub

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Rear side glass is about $350-$500 to replace, depending on tint level or absence thereof.

[/ QUOTE ] dang!! mine are limo tint! lets just hope i don't break em. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

same here
    /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

Mine are the super dark factory stuff. My only problem is the little metal dealies on the rubber trim on the sidewindows are all rusted. I figured that they don't seem to be important so I havn't bothered with them. I've watched a bunch of mexican guys at this shop in east L.A. do the window operation. They used a piece of small rope with a wooden handle on one end and fed it through the notch on the bottom of the window frame. It seamed to save the rubber. By one guy inside and one out running the line around the window it prys out the rubber and installs it just the same way. The little notch is usually along the bottom somewhere. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

11. muddysub

i masked it off and painted those metal things flat black can't hardly see them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Those metal things...I think you forgot I live in Wisconsin. Yeah...those rusted out years ago. In their place is gobs and gobs of silicone sealant. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. bigd_176

bigd_176 Registered Member

look in the phone book for auto glass! Any autoglass shop should be able to get you the gaskets. if yours aren't cracked and dry rotting then you should be able to reuse them! you need a hook tool or screw driver to pry down on the gasket on the inside usually on a corner to start and push out on the glass! once you get it out if your gasket didn't tear leave it on the glass!! you don't want to remove it! you don't need to put anything on the gasket to seal it they are made to seal. when you are ready to reinstall them get some 1/4 inch woven nylon rope and push it into the gasket where the gasket lips over the pinchweld (body) start at the bottom center and go around. spray the gasket down with some silicone spray! have a friend hold the glass in the hole from the outside and gently push on it. from the inside start pulling the rope one side at a time and the gasket should start lipping over the pinchweld. as it lips over have your friend slap on the glass to seat the gasket as it lips over. it's really not all that hard but if you don't want to risk it by all means pay a professional. it shouldn't cost too much. burbinator is right those windows are expensive.
    l8ter, Derek
    NGA Glass Technician
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

14. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info...that's great.
    I have read up about it recently, and the process sounds very do-able. I may give it a try this summer, thanks.