Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody ever use Lucas Oil Treatment?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigk, Oct 7, 2001.

1. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

I know an old guy that swears by it. He said he had a riding lawn mower that wouldn't even go through tall grass without powering out, but Lucas brought it to life so it would go through it like nothing. I also know a guy in Pennsylvania that builds high performance Cummins truck engines, and he uses their fuel and oil treatments. Just wondered if anybody had used it in their trucks. Thanks.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

2. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

oh yea!!!!

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

3. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah what?

Karl
    87 3/4 ton

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

My dad uses it quite a bit and swears by it. I will use some once my motor is broke in some. I dont know if its good for break in or not. Never asked either tho. [​IMG]

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]

5. solowookie

I've run it in ALL my other vehicles... I won't start running it in my new engine until I get about 10,000 on it

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

6. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Have you used it in any high mileage engines and noticed any improvement?

Karl
    87 3/4 ton

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

ALL oil additives have proven to be nothing but snake oil.

The oil manufacturers go out of their way to make the best additive package that they can. Just change your oil and leave that other crap out. It's the best thing you can do.

Ask people that use oil additives that swears it makes their engine last if they're honestly convinced that it wouldn't have lasted longer without it. I'd bet it would.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

All: tufoil.com Products their oil additive is real good stuff good also.
    I posted some more info on oil additives in a post eariler today heres the link:<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=238640&amp;page=3&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;part=> Z-MAX????as seen on TV</a>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze</a>
    <font color=blue>NEVADA: Where the pavement ends, and the West begins.</font color=blue>

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I beg to differ, Tim. Have you ever heard of a product called Restore? It worked wonders on my 305. It used to burn oil if it idled too long. A buddy suggested I try Restore and after 2 oil changes the smoking at idle disappeared without any noticeable side-effects.

I know what you're saying, but until you actually see some of these products work, you shouldn't be so doubtful.....

<font color=blue> WE WILL NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

10. solowookie

hmm... I've only had 1 vehicle that had over 120,000 on it, Insane Ewok - blew a oil cooler line...

I've used the fuel additives, and noticed a MAJOR difference. It also seems to make the engines run quieter too... I'd think that would be a good sign. Anybody that has torn engines apart that have used Lucas has absolutely swore by it. I'm gonna put it in my t-case &amp; tranny too. you can also put it in the axles.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't believe it. Any oil additve upsets the balance of the additive package that the oil manufacturer put in there when they made the oil. Great. Your engine didn't burn oil when you put some thicker oil in it. Wonderful. You're still on borrowed time if that engine's that worn out.

I would never put anything in my engine but motor oil. Many of the additive compaines have lawsuits pending, and for good reason.

Tim

12. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

So you're calling me a liar?????[​IMG] I suggest you take it back, bro'!!!!!! For your info, that "borrowed time" thing is crap- I used the stuff about 15k ago and haven't had a problem since......

Show me the info about the lawsuits while you're at it........

<font color=blue> WE WILL NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

13. solowookie

I don't really think this is a point that can be proved... everybody's got their own opinions, and the obviously feel comfortable with what they are doing so why knock that?

altough there is one point capt. brought up to me that did make a lot of sense. I was talking about running synthetic oil, and he was simply stating that clean oil has got to be more important for the life of an engine then getting more miles from a better oil. I think he's right.

so my plan for the future will be to change oil every 3,000 with wix premiums, and valvoline. however, when I get to somewhere between 5,000 - 10,000 miles I'll definately be dropping some lucas in with my oil at changes.

14. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

We've ran Lucas in fire truck engines everywhere I've worked - especially in Detroits. Engines that fire up and go immediately out the door without warming up tend to see alot of wear, and the manufacturers recommend using the stuff for that purpose. Not all the manufacturers though - only Cummins, Detroit, Navistar and Caterpillar - so it must be good stuff.

Of the 5 toughest dogs in the neighborhood, my cat's ranked #3
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes. It can be proven. It has been proven that most of these oil additives either do nothing at all or make the engine actually wear faster.

Like I said before, oil comes with an additive package that shouldn't require any further supplement. Simply going to Webcrawler and typing in oil additive brings up enough responses to prove that. Here's a link to just one study that came up multiple times. You can do future research. If the companies at the top of this test aren't enough for you, nothign will be.

"Information for this article was compiled from reports and studies by the University of Nevada Desert Research Center, DuPont Chemical Company, Avco Lycoming (aircraft engine manufacturers), North Dakota State University, Briggs and Stratton (engine manufacturers), the University of Utah Engineering Experiment Station, California State Polytechnic College and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration's Lewis Research Center. "

That's the first paragraph. Read on.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bmwscruz.com/tech/tech003.html>Oil Additives</a>

Tim

16. solowookie

so what is your point? I don't see lucas mentioned one time in that article! if you are gonna prove a point at least find something that mentions what we are talkinga about.

I have to believe that companies like catapilar know more then Tim does!

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Nevermind. If a NASA test that includes colleges and AIRPLANE manufacturer isn't good enough for you, nothign will.

If an airplane or NASA lose engines, people die. They did the test, there's the results.

That test covers ALL oil additives. All additives have one or more of the substances listed there.

Tim

18. solowookie

blah blah blah blah

19. solowookie

you mean that airlines that won't even plug a DVD player, or video player because the are afraid it won't be 'compatible' with the electrical system?

20. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I used Lucas in my tranny to help the seals some. My truck sat for a bit before I got it so the seals needed some love [​IMG]. It stopped the seals from leaking.
    I don't really add anything to my oil if I don't need to. My opinion is the best thing you can do it change the oil on a regular basis. I had a 305 that started loosing compression and blowing a little smoke and I used restore. I also got the same results by just putting in a thicker oil.
    If a gas motor can't keep 30W from blowing by, then it really needs to be rebuilt.
    I've got a benz at home with 500,000 miles on it (that is NOT a typo...that is in fact half a million miles on it) and it never has had any oil additive put in the motor. The oil was changed religiously on it. It's a diesel, but I think that would be the equivilant of a gas motor having 250 or 300,000 miles on it. Anyway, it just stopped running and I'm not completely convinced it's a compression problem. It's a big possiblilty that it is, but it also has a vacum leak that I'm chasing too.

Anyway, my whole rant is that I think additives are good for cleaning the motor, refreshing the seals, and to add to the oil to make it thicker cause you don't want to change it just yet.

<font color=blue>Women should put pictures of missing men on beer cans...</font color=blue>
    Website link is in my profile [​IMG]