Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anybody ever use theese guys or...

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by Seventy4Blazer, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

hear anything good/bad about them?
    www.fly-n-hi.com
    my buddy at work has a 79 chevy LWB done by them... some of the work is nice, some of it is uh.. well...
    i dunno if he just beat the hell out of it or if they suck.
    any other input? the cage pictures they have look REAL nice...
    grant

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The cage looks bad ass because they didn't do the work. FST did the work. Fly-N-Hi doesn't do any fab or custom work. They farm it out to there "fab shop" which is not really a part of there company. FST is there fab shop. FST does some bad ass work for a good price. I have had a couple things done by FST and they kick ass. They believe in good work at a fair price, and they build things super stout.

I had my front shock mounts redone by them after I ripped the factory dual shock mounts apart. There brackets that they made for it, and there welding was superb. Nothing but stout. I also had them do some repair on my frame after I ripped out the section that the tranny crossmember bolts to, and I guarantee I will never have to worry about that section of the frame again.

As for Fly-N-Hi, they are your basic poser shop from what I can tell. I have never seen anything real cool over there (that wasn't done by FST). And there prices are a tad steep if you ask me. I would definitly classify them as just another poser shop. I find them to be similar to Desert Rat, except there prices aren't as good.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Also, I only have experience with the shop on about 31st AVE & Thomas (or McDowell don't remeber which road).

BUT: I have never seen anything real cool and hardcore with Fly-N-Hi stickers on it. I always see the Z-71's with 6" suspension & 3" body lift running 38's on 1/2 ton axles. Poser trucks. If I do see hardcore rigs they usually say 4Wheelers Supply (which is expensive as hell) or Toybox on them. I have seen way more hardcore rigs with Toybox on them then Fly-N-Hi, and Toybox hasn't been around very long. Fly-N-Hi has been around for years.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I pretty much agree with everything Hoss said... I've never used them for anything other than buying a few small things just because their shop is close. Prices are high and I've never gotten decent info from them on anything.

5. FWP

FWP CRS

Get that kind of stuff from Damon (Moose) at Toybox, He'll do you right!

6. Seventy4Blazer

mayabe i will have to have that rig of the month guy, whats his name... hmm... hey russ... can ya bring your tube bender and welder alond with some tube down to yuma....
    i can supply beer and GOOD eats....
    maybe i can afford to pay ya back for the tubing... but it will be payments...
    he he.
    thanks for the info guys.
    grant

7. BadDog

Weelllll, maaayyybe we could work out a trade for some of those cool military toys? Hmmm?? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Seen any M1008s abandoned somewhere? Like your back yard? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Or maybe a couple of new crated steering rockwells?... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. Seventy4Blazer

funny you mention rockwells.... i found a guy who has A BUNCH of stearing and non stearing rockwells today and he is in az.. none of them are new, but parts would be right down the street... i will find out a price. i am curious for myselr... think springer suspension will work with them? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    and i do have a SMALL hook up on SOME small mil parts... like pintal hooks and clevis(what is the plural of that word.... kinda like octipi)
    but i will get back to you on the axles...
    grant

9. BadDog

Cool... Actually, I was just messing around with you. I just got this thing semi functional and I would hate to rip it apart again. But... rear stear... hmmmm.... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

10. Seventy4Blazer

ill still fin dout. he has like 10 sets. OF 3...
    yeah... im sure he will sell for a good price...
    grant

11. BadDog

Hmmm, well, if it's really cheap, I might be able to buy them and put them back for a project in a year or so (when I get more of my short list done).

12. FWP

FWP CRS

Oh sure, mention rockwells now, after we met today /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif . I might have had you bring a set up with you..,. That would be funny, seeing two of those axles strapped to the roof of the Buick /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

13. Seventy4Blazer

funny thing about that fred....
    i found them on the way home...
    and yes, if needed i would have TRIED to put them on the buick... but i am afraid they weigh more than the buick...
    i would have found out. i got the dang thing for free... the buick that is not the rockwells. i dont know if my springer suspension would work well with 2.5 ton axles.. but i just may find out.... ill find out the price tomorrow i hope.
    grant

14. BadDog

Actually, there is a thread about controlling rockwells right now on PBB. They make some good points. Gist is that 2.5s have MAJOR axle wrap due to the design. I think if I went 2.5 ton, I would go 3-4 link with bagged 1/4 elips.

15. Seventy4Blazer

not a bad idea... the hgh pinion and all... nice flat surface to weld to that is for sure...
    grant

16. Seventy4Blazer

hey Russ, speaking of benders... what kind you got? and how portable is it? specs? cost new?
    he he, oh and the final question... He he he is it insured... J/K!!
    grant

17. BadDog

Oh, it's HUGE. At least a ton or so, set in a 10' cube of poured concrete. Actually poured in place, not bolted. It also has a razor wire fence around it with 5 large Dobermans inside… /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Oh, and it’s a JD2 Model 3 knockoff with 1.75 * 5.5 – 180* die…

18. Seventy4Blazer

you will have to forgive me... but that is a hyd bender right?
    grant

19. BadDog

Nope, manual. And it is bolted to the floor, not mobile...

20. Seventy4Blazer

hmm, so i would have to have my blazer OUT of the garage to put the bender in the garage for enough room to build crap....
    that SUCKS....
    how much it run ya? and is it a pain in the a$$ to use? i am a tall LANKY Mo-fo... (aka WEAK AS ALL HE!!)
    grant