Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody got a Geo Tracker or a Suzuki Sidetracker/Escudo/Vitara/etc?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by AJMBLAZER, Jun 16, 2002.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Just picked up a 1993 Geo Tracker 4x4 2 door convertible because it was dirt cheap, gets in the mid 20's for gas mileage, and has real 4x4 with low range, 5.12 gears, manual hubs, and all coil suspension. The IFS actually has some travel to it, only problem so far is it has open diffs. $230 Lock Right that drops right in will solve that, but looking for the Gearless Locker to come out soon.

It needs a little work to make it 100%, but I'm very happy with it. People keep laughing at it because they think it's a "girl's car" or something, but they are under estimating it. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I'm thinking Calmini 3" suspension lift, 1"-maybe 2" body lift and some 31x10.5R15's, a locker of some type, some beefy bumpers, header, 2" big bore exhaust, Marine grade CD player and speakers, and Herculiner'd interior and exterior. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

My Dad drives a 96 2wd tracker.. All I can say is what a difference from the K5 to that thing. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

3. AJMBLAZER

Yeah, it's a big difference from my 92 Chevy Blazer K1500, but I have to say I like this thing a lot. Acceleration is very similar, it stops quicker, rides nicer (coil sprung all around, no torsion bars), and offroads better (again, no "no flex" torsion bars). This thing fits everywhere and the IFS is actually well designed and capable. Suzuki actually intended for people to take these things offroad when they designed them. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

My friend had one and we all liked it! It was like a 4 wheeler with a cage! LOL

He had the 2" Calmini lift with the 3" body lift and 34x10.50 TSL's.... That thing went everywhere!

I would do a SAS though!

5. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

I had a 91Sidekick. Loved it, fun wheeling in it. I was never left stuck eather. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. AJMBLAZER

Emmet, that thing sounds cool. I'm thinking 3" Calmini suspension lift and fender trimming to clear 31x10.5's. That way I don't need to regear. Those 34's sound good though.....hmmmm...................3" body lift and some 5.83's with the suspension lift?

My buddy who I bought it from says he followed his cousin on a 4 wheeler around some trails. Only problems the Tracker had were related to the lack of any sort of traction adder in the rear and the 205/75R15 all seasons./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Solid axle would be cool, but it's the daily driver right now, so maybe in the future. Have seen some pretty cool conversions though, two with Samurai or SJ413 front axles riding on 35" tires./forums/images/icons/cool.gif The other had Toyota axles front and rear, a whole buncha lift, and 38" TSL's./forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

7. mercercadet

mercercadet 1/2 ton status

sounds like a cool project, is there anyway you could run taller tires like 33's or would that be too much on that short a drivetrain. I tend to like the smaller vehicles myself, no offense to the fullsize crowd, because where i live lots of the smaller trails require a smaller vehicle or a lot of body damage. get some pics up when you get it finished /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif .

8. AJMBLAZER

33x10.5R15's fit with some rubbing with the 6" Calmini combo (3" Suspension and 3" body lift). There's a guy with a 2 door Sidekick running 33x12.5R15's with the 6" combo, but he's also trimmed his fenders a lot and relocated the floorboards back towards the driver some. Here's a shot of his Sidekick:
    [​IMG]

You could combine a 1" coil spacer with the 3" Calmini Suspension lift to get a 4" suspension lift, but you'd be loosing suspension travel then.

My plans are the 3" Calmini lift with a 1" body lift to clear 31x10.5R15's for now. With some engine mods it'd still be totally daily driveable. Eventually though, I have seen several solid axle conversions, and the thought has occured to me............

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    These are Suzuki Vitaras with Samurai or SJ413 solid axles, 5" of suspension lift, 3" body lift, cut fenders, and 35x12.5R15 Goodyear MT/R's over in England./forums/images/icons/cool.gif

9. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I think I might just keep my little tracker.. found a guy around here who's selling a Suzuki Sidekick 2dr 4x4 chassis complete for $200.00.. I could put that under my tracker.. and make it a nice little trail rig..
    Or.. I was thinking of finding a Suzuki Samurai..
    Good by AJM... I do like the little trackers..

10. AJMBLAZER

Yeah they are cool little trucks Rocko. Gotta love real 4x4 with almost 30mpg too./forums/images/icons/cool.gif

What's up with your Tracker that you need the Sidekick frame?

You could swap in a Sammy front axle and transfer case. Those guys in England were running custom 5" leaf packs up front, but I have seen them setup with coil springs up front as well.

I still want my K5, and my Ram, and my 2003 GTO, and my.... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ......, but this is kinda fun for now. Right now I'm just trying to find all the rust and fix it. Damn Michigan winters and road salt. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

11. lifted95z71

lifted95z71 1/2 ton status

real 4x4, dang strait! im thinking about selling my present 4x4s and getting a rav4 a geo tracker and a honda pilot. its about time people realized how lame v8's, solid axles, and power are.

12. AJMBLAZER

Wow, lifted95z71, for someone with "he who bash other 4x4, look silly when being pulled out by it" in his signature, you sure come off sounding like an [censored]. Of course, you're probably already over on Truckworld posting about what mean ol' AJM has to say.

Just to shed light on the subject for you, the RAV4 and Honda Pilot are very different from a Geo (and Chevy) Tracker/Suzuki Sidekick/Vitara/Grand Vitara/Escudo. The RAV4, Pilot, and all the other "cute utes" are car based unibodies with independent suspension all the way around, primarily front wheel drive, and only a hi range AWD. Basically for looks only, and a dirt road or snowy road is pushing their capabilites.

A Tracker/Sidekick/etc (and Kia Sportages) has an actual ladder frame with a body mounted to it, just like our GM trucks. It has a real transfer case with an actual low range (although it's only about 1.9 or so, around a NP205's) and most have manual hubs. The rear axle is a coil sprung solid axle with a drop out 3rd member like a Ford 9" or a Toyota axle. The IFS up front is a McPherson strut arangement that actually has a good amount of travel and has a lot of strength compared to the vehicle size and weight (WAY more than your 95 Z71 or my old IFS Blazer's AAM 8.25" IFS does) so it is actually of some use offroad, 5.12 gears in the axles, and the axles are actually pretty beefy for the size of the vehicle (like most Japanese 4x4's), so you can lift them up, run up to 33's, and go rock crawling without being too concerned about breaking things. Yeah, it doesn't weigh 5,000lbs empty, have 210hp, or just the image that big trucks have, but it gets almost 30mpg, can fit and go just about anywhere when properly equipped, and parking is a breeze./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

If I had a dime for every time some redneck fool laughed at it and called it "small", "Jap trash", "cute", or whatever, I'd have my ratings paid for now.

Oh, and I never said V8's, solid axles, and power were lame. I still want a K5 and a 2500 Ram diesel with a stick, but for right now while I am trying to get my pilot's ratings, this lets me have real 4x4 capabilities and get good gas mileage. I can fill my gas tank up for $12 and drive all week, can you?

13. lifted95z71

wwhhhhoo there buddy. you sound a bit insecure about this. you trying to convince me, or your yourself?

14. AJMBLAZER

You, but as my favorite saying goes, "don't argue with stupidity."

Okay, I'll say this nicely, please stop replying to my posts unless you have something useful to say. I'm sick and tired of these useless, inane, petty comments you seem to like making on both forums we belong too. The issue is over and 99% of the people who read them wonder why the heck you put this stuff on my posts.

15. lifted95z71

i find you humorous.

16. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

im with you on this one....

17. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

You want to sell the tracker? I may be in need of a commuter 4x4 soon.

Ken H.

18. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I'd just like to add that I bought my wife a 95 2-Dr last year. It's got 235x75x15's on it. It goes evrywhere I've dared to take it. I even tried to loop it last winter in 4x4 just to test it's handling. Believe it or not, It wouldn't loop very easily. It made me feel better since it's my wifes. Anyway, She has asked me to lift it for her when the budget fits better. I have a mechanic friend who wants to put the axles from a skid-loader under it. He's done it once with custon steering. We have also thought of dropping a bigger engine in it. With a lil work, a Vortec 4.3 will fit nicely. Anyway, just my $0.02.

Mark
    aka BurbLover

19. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Wow mine was not jacked up and rock crawling like you all but I played allot in the sand and in dirt. I would pass a few of the bigger trucks who couldnt make it up a steep hill and there were a few times I pulled people out of stuff like a station wagon up to its bumpers in sand.

Mine was just stock with bigger tires. But I really loved it and it was the first 4x4 I ever owned. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Lifted95Z71 I understand that you disagree and I respect your opinion however there is nothing wrong with owning something different and experimenting. If everyone had the same stuff it would be a very boring and uncompetitive world. It doesnt always have to be the bigger, badder, the better. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I think its really nice to see other kinds of vehicles out on the trails. I especially love it when somthing so unintimidating as a little tracker or sidekick go out there and really kick some butt. It makes the 4x4 world more interesting and fun /forums/images/icons/smile.gif No reason at all to put someone down for it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

(I am not trying to be mean, rude or disrespectful) /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I like the 4.3 V-6. I had one in a 85 Monte Carlo. I was very impressed with it. All my friends that drove it asked if I had a V-8 under the hood. Nobody belived it was only a V-6 till I showed them. I don't know if it was a Vortec, it was in a 85 Monte Carlo CL.