Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anybody gotta 12 bolt axle? and some questions..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Mar 29, 2001.

it would seem my project is a total uphill battle. i'm scrapping my 10 bolt(2.73, ouch!) for the 12 bolt from my 79(3.40, marginally better).... of course before i put it under there, i have to clean it up, and put in fresh seals.... the previous owner didn't care much for making sure there was oil in the diff, cause when i opened it up, there was none, and a spatter line where the ring gear had thrown whatever trash it picked up from the puddle of tar at the bottom... and now for the bad news!....

passenger side bearing has decided to chow it's way thru ~3mm of axle bearing surface, making a hefty groove. the rest of the machined surface where the oversize helper bearing would ride looks like crap too.... soooooo... any body got one?

1. removing the bearing pretty much destroyed it. i was using a slide hammer with a 90* hook, trying to tap around the perimeter to ease it out. it did not want to be eased out, and the slide hammer turned into a slam hammer, removing the bearing, but first ripping out the race, sending rollers flying! the seat for the bearing was scarred heavily on one side, evidence of another even more heinous method employed to remove it..... WHAT IS THE PREFERED METHOD FOR REMOVING THEM?

2. i'm gonna look at the clymer manual about putting the new ones in, but is there any tricks or procedures i should be aware of?

thanks,
    greg

1. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

First trick
    Use a bearing puller
    As for reinstalling them. As long as you install the even all around you are good. I used a large socket and a 3lb beater to tap mine in. Dont beat them in, tap them in. and they will be ok. Problem is sounds like that rear is shot. If the bearing at the axle look like that guess what your pinion bearing looks like. For about 200 bucks you can find one in a junk yard and if paitent can get one out of truck that has re-geared it lower already

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Sounds like that axle is shot. I agree with the previous post.

[​IMG]

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

The pass side bearing is no big surprise, but I'd definetly start looking around inside to see the bearing condition. Not a 100% sure, but bearings should all spec the same so I think you should be able to pluck and change the bearings without re-setting all the gear specs. Anyone done this or can call me on this? Maybe take a before and after print. Axles obviously should be replaced w/ the bearings.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

You should be able to find a 12 bolt pretty easily and cheap.... If the tube is grooved, then the new bearing may not seat right and cause more problems...

As for what Capt', I think was trying to say is that you need to replace the axle seals witht he bearings...

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

"Pimpin aint easy!"