Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody had their frame straightened?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fordeater, Jul 12, 2006.

1. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've got a frame from a 69 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 that is bent a little in the front. I want to get it straightened before i install the motor and cab. I can't exactly get it to the body shop to figure out how much it will cost me, so i was wondering if anybody has experience in straightening frames, or knew about how much it would cost. I even thought about straightening it myself, but i don't know how to go about doing it.

It isn't bent bad, but i want it straight, as you can see in the pic, it is bent towards the drivers side from the engine crossmember on forward.

[​IMG]

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I'd take a few photos to the body shop and see if they can give you a rough estimate.

3. fordeater

i tried that, but the prick at the body shop by my house said he couldn't give me any kind of estimate without actually seeing the frame. I explained that i had no way of getting it there because it doesn't have a motor, cab, or tranny, and that i had no way of getting it there, and he said he couldn't do anything.

4. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

I had my frame pulled on my 79 2WD blazer a few years ago and I think it cost a little over $200.

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Can't tell much from the pics, but yeah, I ran a frame machine for a few years...

Trust me, unless it's the simplest of pulls, you need to put it on a machine with anchor pots, etc... Once in a while you'll find one you can get done with a porta-power, but nothing compares to making proper pulls with a frame machine...

If you wanna figure a worse case scenario kinda gig, figure maybe 8 hrs labor... Probably less.. Not sure what the body shop rate is these days, but say $60 x 8 hrs = $480.. Thats on the high side I'd guess...

You'll eventually have to tow it to someone.... I don't know what you expected the guy to say... Not likely he's gonna come to your house, not his job...

6. fordeater

nah, i didn't expect him to come to my house. I was just looking for a ball park figure so i know what i'll be paying because i didn't feel like renting a trailer to tow it somewhere for an estimate and then renting a trailer again to actually get the work done. They just changed management, and i'm not impressed by the new staff, which is why i think he is a prick.

Would they still be able to repair it pretty easily with the motor and stuff on the frame, or should i wait to put everything back on until after i get the frame straightened?

7. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Might wanna make a few calls around... Check on there labor rates too....

Easiest pull would be with the motor out, but your front sheetmetal on, minus wheelwells.... That way they can locate that side rad support location.. just leave that mount out, but bring the parts with you..

so you'd need the cab mounted and front sheetmetal fitted up.... You can do it by measurement, but it's easier the other way..

8. ascuro

ascuro Registered Member

Yeah, the guy's probably not trying to be a prick - it's very hard to determine exactly how bad frame damage is from pictures. He's probably just trying to cover himself from giving you a bad quote. Honestly, I doubt you'll find any reputable frame shop that'll give you a "ballpark" estimate without seeing it in person.

That said, I've had three frames straightened over the years (in varying degrees)...the worst one cost me $400, and that was with both frame rails forming a sortof trapezoidal shape :crazy: