Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody HATE some music

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sope, Mar 10, 2007.

1. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

I work with some guys that are 10 or 15 years older than me. I'm 32. We have the radio on classic rock stations all the time. There are some songs that I can't even listen to. For example, if I hear any Beatles my back gets tight to the point of hgurting, I get in a foul mood instantly and I can't concentrate on what I'm doing. It's not just the Beatles they are just the most common. Another song that gets me is that American Pie one. Drives me nuts. Funny thing is I listen to and like a wide varity of music and some is played alot on these stations. I've mentioned this to other people and no one gets it.
    Anyone hear have the same experience with certain songs or types of music.

2. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

3. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

Funny. I never saw that thread but this one's a little different. It physically hurts my back because I get so tense. Wondering if I'm the only one.

4. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

The White Stripes and whatever that new crap band Jack White is in now makes me vomit in my mouth. Something like that?

5. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

Yea like that. Never had that but I believe you.

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I had the same problem with UYB when he came over to the shop so I just pulled free sirius radio outta the trunk of one of my POS cars and we plugged it in to a battt charger...:haha: Now he has all the music he wants with no comercials....:haha: :haha: :haha: Sorry ,guess you had to be there....

7. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Any station w/ a 15 song playlist x 8 hours a day will eventually make your back hurt and vomit in your mouth a little. I grew up with classic rock and I know there's a few songs that I just don't need to hear anymore...RadarLove,etc...

8. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

The only music I really hate is reggae. But not every off-shoot of it.

I can't stand Bob Marley.....(I got a headache just typing that)

But I like bands like Agent 99, SKA with Reggae tones to it.

9. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

jazz drives me nuts. Hate it with a passion.

10. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Wow even I like some Marley... Diggin the No commerical's now!

11. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

Country and most modern rap. Can't stand that garbage.

12. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

rap... as the old addage goes 'cant spell crap without rap'... makes me sick to hear some thugwannabe talkin real fast and getting paid buku bucks for it...

can tolerate almost anything else... btw, radios have a dial for a reason lol...

13. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i cant stand anything other than country and rap. seriously.

14. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You know you lead an easy, cushy life when a song can get you so upset your back hurts. I'd hate to see how some of you would react if you ever had the misfortune to experience REAL stress.

For the record, I lead a pretty easy life, too. But I'm not so pampered that I allow a little thing like a song I dislike to wreck my day. Remember, half way around the world, people are hoping that they simply live through the night.........

15. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

What my buddies and I call, 'drive by shooting music': Rap.

Specifically Rap that involves violence, anti-social themes, etc.

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Good point, although i'll admit there is music that puts me in a foul mood. I'm closing in on 42 this summer and you'll never hear classic rock, or pop anywhere where I'm working. Our shop is just big enough now that it's too loud to hear any radio more than 5 feet away anyways...but we also have enough guys that nobody can agree to listen to one station.

The soft rock crowd baffles me. How anyone can listen to Abba et al all day without losing their sanity is beyond me.

On the other hand most every station plays something that gets on my nerves. In the end it's just easier to not listen to anything.

A guy i have worked with for the last 5 years is maybe 6 months older than I am, grew up in England and used to tell me how he was a total punker 'back home'. The local station here has a punk feature once a week for an hour called "Punk-a-rama". They do a few interviews, play some old and some new etc etc. So I thought my buddy would enjoy listening to it one night at work. He listened to it for less than 10 minutes, then changed the station back to oldies/pop/dentist music and said "I must be getting old".:haha:

rene

17. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm pretty much hard rock. and old school rock....not the light rock.
    Fav's are early Aerosmith, Van Halen, AC/DC, Metallica, I do like some later stuff too, but maybe just one hit wonder stuff.

18. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I like many types of music, rock being my daily digest. Stevie Ray, UFO, Led Zep etc. Anything with a tune will do. Can't stand some n, oops, can't say that, can't stand some chap screaming and shouting at me in a 'language' I can't even understand.

Best thing though, I work alone and listen to Planet Rock via my PC. If they play something I don't like (very rare occorunce)......I turn the sound down for a few minutes. No stress!

19. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yup, I hate some music.. Closeminded, whatever....

I'm very peticular about bands I like, let's just say I'm an avid fan of my choices.. I'm all about the hook... Gotta have a killer riff... lyrics mean little to me, it's music....

Weened on Sab, Nuge, Smith, Zep, Priest, AC/DC, Maiden, Queen, UFO, Rush, ZZTop, Motorhead, Skynyrd, Metallica, all the usual subjects..

I liked very little of the popular 80's stuff, meaning hairbands... First 2 Crues where ok, but other than being a big Appetite For Destruction fan, most of my tastes in that era are restricted to being the biggest Kings X fan ever and some more obscure heavy rock stuff, COC, etc...

Grunge was cool, breathe of fresh air... I was mainly a AIC, Soundgarden and Mother Love Bone fan, more than the others.. White Zombie was cool..

I do hate rap, country and generally most mellow stuff... But I do love some Blues and certain Classical tho... I'd probably actually like the current speed medalish stuff out these days if they actually would sing...

Thanks go out to Sabbath and Metallica for coming up with some of the most evil riffs ever...

20. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

You may have a point there. I wouldn't consider myself pampered but I have a pretty happy and low stress life. I do my best to let things roll off my back but yes a song can make me tense enough to tighten up my back and distract me from my work. I think my point in this post is it really shouldn't get to me but it does.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007