Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody have a 96+ Chev pickup? Question about pulleys and brackets

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PetaKane, Oct 18, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I got all of the brackets, pullies and accessories off of a 97. Alt mounts on passenger side, then in the middle the water pump and crank, then on driver side is the power steering and AC unit. Eventually someday I may decide I want the AC unit but I really don't wanna go have lines made for it now. I've always heard that on the full serpentine systems you can't take anything off. But the AC and PS unit are on the same bracket, inches apart and are both ribbed pulleys. The idler pulley and the belt tensioner pulley are both on the alt bracket. I think it'll work w/out AC unit if I just get the right belt. What'dya think?

2. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

I do not know the answer to your question but I have this diagram that shows where all the pullys and stuff are, maybe it will help others answer your question.

[​IMG]

3. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Thanks that gives me a pretty good idea how it mounts up. I'm nervous about trying it without the compressor. Looks like the alt and compressor have the most to do with the tension. Besides the tensioner itself. Well hmm, should any AC shop be able to make some lines for an old truck that'll fit a newer AC unit?

4. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

I remember seeing a routing diagram for the belt without the air conditioner. It think it is on my air box. I will go out and look for it and I will check the chiltons to see if there is one in there.

5. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

I found the diagrams and it is showing that without AC there is a second idler pully in its place. If you want I can scan the two diagrams and send them to you tonight.

I am guessing you are looking for the 5.0 to 5.7 engines year 96 through 98 diagram if not I can scan the others anyways.

7. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    should any AC shop be able to make some lines for an old truck that'll fit a newer AC unit?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hmmm I dont know, If they specialize is AC it is a good chance..Or maybe there is a kit. Twiz knows about the newer stuff and has been a great help to me. maybe he will know?