Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anybody have a cab chassis truck, for towing??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75k5, Jan 22, 2005.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

Just wondering if any one used a set up like this for towing duty???

[​IMG]

I have been seeing these for sale, from a few hundred, to 2500.00

got me thinking!

2. supersize75k5

3. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

get a trailer!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin:

4. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

one of my buddy's dads has a late 70s K30 C&C that they use as a tow/beater truck. It has a steelflatbed with stake racks and toolboxes under the sides.

Good thing about it is, they bought it at an Akron Police auction for $100, which included the tow to their house (it had been abandoned on a city street and seized). Bad thing is, someone took the 60 out and put a 10 bolt up front before they had gotten it, and the interior is trashed. But who cares, its the beater truck that just won't die.

5. supersize75k5

um incase i didnt make it clear, i want to put my truggy on it:D

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

my buddys got a 68 cab and chassis that we where gonna convert to a roll back. the frame was long enough, but ws all rusted out. now hes putting the rear suspention and axle in a 1ton single wheel. i don't know if he still plans on making a roll back or just a tow rig.

7. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I dont see why it wouldnt work, if nothing else you could always throw some of those Helper Air Bags on it too. I would think the springs would be plenty heavy for holding your truggy, it cant weigh much

8. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

fixed it for u.....:grin:

9. supersize75k5

I would think if I picked up a 2wd and make good mounting points I should be ok. I just like the idea of cuttin down some weight by not having a trailer. Also turning, backing up and storage of a trailer is a concern.

A well built trailer is not cheap, on top of that I wold need a truck to pull it, this is killing 2 birds with one stone. Also this would be used for towing mostly in AZ. Most of the driving is flat land.:cool1:

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i know where a 72 157" chassis cab is for 100 bucks i am trying to sell something so i can go pick it up, 350 and 465 not much rust or anything, but in 67-72 they were minimum 5.13 gears, so id need to find a 4.10 or 3.73 dually 14 FF for it to use it on highway to haul cars and junk like i would want it for,

ive had a few chassis cabs all 67 68 ones, but have just been 133" ones though

AZ ones would be clean compared to anywhere else, no comparison to here of course, just dents to deal with,

any more pics ?
    never seen a 73-up one before other than 133" but they always have a tow or grain or dump bed on them

11. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

i have a cab chassis truck for towing. im just looking for someone to split the cost with me to get a two car trailer. now thats killing two birds with one stone....

12. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You must think about the fact that you are exceeding the weight that truck would be meant to carry and that the braking system is not up to par. This means the truck would be unsafe. Trailers are a better option because they have trailer brakes to help slow down the load you are carrying on said trailer.

Harley

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

but most ppl who have car traielrs dont use the brakes, no one around here does anyways, cept some rich ppl with new trucks and such, but still uncommon

the dually brakes are huge, and 71-up are huge disc front and huge drum rear of course, hella safer than pulling a 16 or 18 foot loaded car trailer with a 1/2 or 3/4 ton SRW like everyone here does,.....

14. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

What is done and what should be done are 2 different things though. I am not saying you couldn't tow a truck on a C&C, but I am saying you shouldn't. If you buy a trailer are not willing to be responseble enough to invest in a brake controller for a trailer brake setup you should not be towing. You are not only endangering your life but other people's lives too.

Shawn, do the responsible thing and get a setup that will safely haul what you need to haul. Don't try and do the cheap thing. It is not the right way to do it and it is not a safe way to do it. If you want to use a C&C truck to tow your rig with find one that is rated at least 2 tons. C60 or better. Being negligent in towing is just as bad as being negligent on the trail.

Harley

15. supersize75k5

well thats why I posted up, so I could get some feed back on the idea.

I may look around for a larger truck. I dont feel that the weight is too much though, I have no info to back that up though. I am looking at different options. I dont have truck to pull a trailer, and I dont want the cost and storage of trailer plus the cost of a truck to pull it at the same time.

I have looked into getting newer dodge with a cummins, but the insurance of a newer truck really turns me away from it. Not to mention I dont want to drive a newer truck everyday.

I could just drive to the trail, but that is a whole different topic.

16. supersize75k5

17. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

you will be limited to having a 2-3000 lb truggy.

most of the cc's i have seen are rated at 10k, and figure they push the 7k range unloaded.

i own a 76 c30 cc with an 11' flatbed, with a honda civic on the back i scaled in at 9700lb.

id look for an older c60.

18. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Not quite the same thing, but I have towed my old 78 Brono on my work truck several times. It was a '00 F-550 PS rollback. Bronco was on 39'5 swampers and had a 460 and about 7-8" of lift. Just driing around town was scary. It used to hit trees an stuff all the time. And talk about sway. And this is on a truck with a 10'000 lb bed capacity made for towing. I understand your reasoning, but with a somewhat tall truck with soft suspension, it is kind scary! And put the total height somewhere around 12' or so...

19. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

thats better!!!!!

20. supersize75k5

hey

I also found a few top kicks, early 90's for 4000-6000 bucks, hmmm:deal: