Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody have a favorite batt cable manuf?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Robert D, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

As in the title, does anybody have a favorite battery cable manufacturer? The positive cable isn't keeping a decent contact with the battery as the bolt is corroded within the rubber cover. Anybody have a favorite?

2. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

3. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Registered Member

Put an Optima (or similar) battery in there and you won't get any corrosion. Then you can use any cable you want. :D

4. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

I had planned on buying an optima red, but when I purchased the truck ~2 weeks ago I went ahead and bought the 50 dollar autozone cheapo battery to save a little.
    What I don't see on most of the cable-kits available are the same contacts with the bolt-into the battery cable ends. The cable-ends of these are the only problem. The cable insulation does not look corroded or old by any means (its a 91 Jimmy full-size), the cable end is just corroded to where the bolt does not spin within the cable. I have the battery terminals which screw into the terminals to convert it to the normal post-mount system...do they make cable ends which are easy enough to crimp onto the existing cables to convert to a post-type battery? How do you crimp them on...with a pair of pliers?

5. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Make your own battery cables from welding cable. The cable you can get from the welding supply place. I think it was like $1/ft for 1/0. You can get the copper lugs and crimp tool from the welding place too. The terminal ends can be purchased at Napa. I made all my cables out of 1/0 or 2/0 cable. 2 Optimas, a Hellroaring isolator/combiner, and a 12k Warn. :D

7. mciahpv

mciahpv Registered Member

Write this down on a note card and keep it in your wallet to look at each time you make a parts decision in order "to save a little."

"QUALITY DOESN'T COST, IT PAYS"

I went through a lot of headache, heartache and backache before I learned the wisdom of that one...

8. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When it comes to battery cables, "copper cable is copper cable". There really is no quality difference. The only suggestion I can make is to get at least 2 Gauge battery cables. I prefer top post terminals myself.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2005
  9. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Also, if you're using big stuff (like Kid mentioned) you can put the lug in a vice, heat it up with a blowtorch and melt solder in it and then stick the wire inside. A little extra measure of protection.

10. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

soldered ends are the way to go.. crimps sucks.. all the marine stuff we do is soldered..

i like the tinned marine wire as far as battery cable goes, more corrosion resistant then welding cable. tho welding cable is a good choice too.. Dearborne makes some real good cable...

11. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Figure out the length you need and have a welding supply store make them. And while you are there, get 24 ft. of 1/0 and 2 sets of clamps and make yourself some sweet jumper cables. I have jump-started a 24V diesel with mine.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Those cable ends SHOULD come apart if you look at them closely. You can pry the bolt out and clean the terminals. You won't find aftermarket cables or even ends that will seal as good as those. (think of how old yours are if stock)

Stock cables are good pieces, from what I've seen though, the AC Delco cables that come when you order now for an "older" vehicle are pieces of Taiwanese crap. There are problems with cables that can't easily be seen, but if cleaning the ends solves the problem, it solves the problem. It's free at least.

13. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

It is and it isn't. When you opt for welding cable you get a cable with many very small diameter strands. If you opt for 600VAC cable you get a cable with very few large diameter strands. Both will probably do the job, but the 600VAC stuff isn't very flexible. It will make you work harder to route it and will be more likely to break from fatigue. I know no one was suggesting using the 600VAC stuff, I'm just using it as an example.
    The problem with using welding cable is that you are paying for a feature that you're not really using, it's outstanding flexibility. Normal quality battery cable is flexible enough for nearly all applications. The battery cable stranding is also just a little bigger which makes it less likely to break the individual strands. I don't think that using welding cable is a bad idea, just a more expensive option.
    I use adhesive lined heat shrink over the joint btwn the cable and the lug. That seals out any possible moisture getting in btwn the cable strands and causing problems.

Some links:
    Crimpable Quality lugs

Some interesting bits

Flat ribbon type ground straps

Heat shrink

Battery Cable

14. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Links no worky for me, so here's the homepage for Waytek .

15. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Waytek also makes a metric ton of connectors (or at least supplies them) and other cool stuff. Got their catalog around here somewhere, just about every wiring piece you could ever need, both large and small.

16. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

17. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The selection is rather slim, but of all places, Walmart sells some decent 2 gauge battery cables for under $10 each. :eek1: