Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anybody have a police spotlight on there truck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85 Jimmy, Jan 18, 2006.

1. 85 Jimmy

85 Jimmy Sheepdog Premium Member

i'd like to get a set for the blazer (one for me and one for the passenger) but i pulled the trim today and i can't figure out how i would mount them on the A piller.

anybody done this? if so pics would be helpful

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Once you find out i would be interested to know how as well, i have a set off of a highway patrol car i'd like to install on my blazer. I,ve had these things for about 6 years now and just never got around to trying to figure out where to drill the A pillar to mount them.

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

unity is the spotlight company that makes them for all the radiocars and k5's... we have/had them on all the black and whites..... I looked real carefully at the first and second gen trucks with them and the pillar is so thin the bracket covers it completely.... my recommendation is not to use them...
    If you are still convinced you want them then the mounting bracket that comes with the light is the actual drill guide... you use their paper template to place the bracket on the pillar correclty located and then sheet metal screw it to the pillar... then using it as a guide drill the 1/2 inch hole all the way thru the pillar.. you must be dead on because there is no room for error...
    I know,,I did this and had to weld up the hole to make it right and do it again....
    other options are go with the single roof mount light... or even better go with one of the hi tech motorized (joystick) roofmount spotlights

anything that makes your truck look like a play policecar is unwise... it just becomes a ticket magnet and would draw my eye to you for sure

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have one..but its in my closet..!

I scored a brand new "Unity" spotlight at a swap meet in the box,for less than a new bulb for it costs many years ago..I had access to the Unity catalog at work,but I never bothered to order a mounting kit,after seeing a few mounted on local DPW and Electric company trucks..I was afraid I'd FUBAR the windsheild pillar,or drill into the windsheild with my luck..

I'd still like to have it on my plow truck though..was thinking of getting the center roof mount kit..it would be very nice to have it while plowing,focused on the right side of the road (gutter side),so I could see the things I don't want to hit better!..but I'd probably have to paint the truck yellow,or "omaha orange",so they would think its a DPW or "utility" truck,to avoid drawing attention to myself..but there ain't no laws against having one that I know of..just dont use it to jack any deer,and I doubt anyone would say anything about it..:crazy: ..bet I could scare the crap out of young (or GAY:eek1: ) lovers parking on the back roads with it..:p:

5. K5Glazier

K5Glazier 1/2 ton status

6. K5Glazier

K5Glazier 1/2 ton status

Sorry the pics are so big, anyway this is the way I got this truck. ('86 k30)
    1st pic is looking thru the steering wheel, thru the hole
    2nd pic is from the outside (obvious)
    3rd pic is looking from the locking door jamb straight at the hole.
    That flat metal where the rubber moulding (can't see in the pics) attaches to is also drilled but only half of the hole. Hope this makes sense and helps you.
    Good luck,
    Joe

7. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

If you need pics on them installed I could snap a few pics too.
    My only suggestion is to only install one on the driver's side. The one on my passenger side had the power wire violently yanked out after I repeatedly told the passenger to quit turning it on and shining it at people while I was driving. :angry1:

8. 85 Jimmy

85 Jimmy Sheepdog Premium Member

i would love to see some more pics. and thanks for the advice on only having one, i'll probably just do one in the begining and then add another one later if it is really needed, i could see a few of my friends doing that same thing

9. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    www.awdirect.com

part # UN-1Q or UN-3 looks like they range from 100.00 to 147.00 It also asks for year make and model of vehicle

this is a company that mainly does towing accessories for tow trucks some pretty cool stuff in the catalog. I just ordered some anchor shackles for my rear bumper. 1 inch screw pin with a working load limit of 25,000 pounds for $37.99 each Can you say overkill!! part # ID-300F

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

EBAY

there are alot of them there.

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

JC Whitney sells the Unity brand spotlights. I installed one on my '75. The light is generic, the mounting kit is what makes it fit a specific vehicle.

To keep jokers from playing with the lights, just wire the main power feed through another switch on the drivers side. :)

12. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

13. Indyblazer

Indyblazer Registered Member

Crown Victoria ???

Putting a chrome spotlight on my lifted 84 K5 with 33x12.50.15's would make it look like a.... 2005 Crown Victoria Police car ?????

I agree. Making any K5 look like a Ford Crown Vic should be a crime. The cops should stop you. :haha:

14. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

I think that where he lives, the police have K5s...............

15. Extreme_Rescue

Extreme_Rescue Newbie

It's alive! (Thread revival...) :D

For those of you still interested, I am just finishing up a spotlight install on my 1990 Suburban, using the Unity #27 mounting bracket and a 325GM spotlight (from a Crown Vic cop car). The 325GM is what Unity specifies for both the Crown Vic cop car and the 1990 Suburban.

However, there is a piece on the tube which doesn't come off that isn't useful on a Suburban. I will post pics here in a few.

NOTE: I am a professional emergency vehicle upfitter (installer) and this is the biggest PITA install I have ever done on a spotlight. If you don't need one, don't do it. If you do feel you need one, make sure you have the skill level required to drill a straight line through your A pillar. Also, in the 90 at least, there are two wires in this pillar. Don't murder these :doah:like I did. I knew they were there, tried to keep them out of the way and they still jumped in front of the bit.

16. ktmoutfront

ktmoutfront Stuck going nowhere fast Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you wheel the truck and do not have a cage in it, I would think hard about drilling through a structural support. Just my 2 cents. (and in this economy, that ain't worth much).

17. Extreme_Rescue

Extreme_Rescue Newbie

An understandable concern, however... a non-issue. The amount of integrity loss is minimal. If integrity degradation was a major concern Unity would not market an application for this vehicle. The important concern is installing it correctly.

That being said, my rig is an overland build.

18. DrkZide

DrkZide Loading...

I would go with a motorized marine spotlight with a remote. Mounted somewhere on the hood.

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I think I'd mount mine on the roof rather than the A pillar--I'd have a slim chance of drilling the hole correctly and my trucks A pillar is probably full of rust!..probably make the windsheild fall out..:rolleyes:..

My Unity spotlight still sleeps in its original box under my bed...:doah:...shows how much ambition I've had to work on my trucks since my last post in this thread...

20. rockhard69

rockhard69 Registered Member

I mounted a unity spotlight on mine, just be careful drilling the hole.