Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody have a Radon mitigation system installed?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 73k5blazer, Apr 27, 2007.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

The home we put a purchase agreement on has elevated levels of Radon (13.4pCi/L).
    Not horrible, but much higher than the EPA recommend level of 4 or less. They want to put new laws that new homes must be 0.4 or less.

I was doing some reading, looks like it's not a real big deal to fix, the mitigation systems usally cure the problem. But installtion can be as much as $3000. Soil suction, under slab suction, doesn't sound pretty.

Just curious as to what your expierence with Radon and the various mitigation systems they have.

2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

My parents had one installed when they bought their house as part of the contract. I don't remember how much it cost, but it's relatively maintenance free.

3. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

after taking chemistry.... i wouldnt screw around with a house that 'might' cause you nasty health problems

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Well, that's about 1 in 15 houses then. At least the gov't says about 1 in 15 homes has elevated (meaning above the recommened EPA level of 4) levels.
    Most of those, have no mitigation system. What does that mean: increased risk of lung cancer. How much risk, well that depends on the levels, and number of years your exposed, if you smoke, etc....

THe mitigation systems work in about 99% of cases to reduce the levels 85-99%, which would be well below what most homes are.
    Meaning, the average home has 1.8, epa recommends action to reduce above 4, if you install a mitigation system, your levels will likly drop to below 1.

Well at least that's what I'm reading from various sources. I asked here for opinons of real world examples.

Radon is present in all homes. It's the level, where it is, and the number of years your exposed to it.