Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anybody have a suggestion on where the problem may lie. wiring diagram (fix

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cybrfire, Aug 10, 2003.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

problems are as follows: Indicator lights come on whenever they want to. Should turn on when switches complete the ground side of the circuit. Sometimes they do sometimes they are just the opposite. they seem to switch back and forth and kinda do what ever they want... Power is coming from somewhere. What a mess!!!!

[​IMG]

2. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm a little confused by the diagram. Why not feed the switches from the "fused panel source", ground the relays, and use the switches to energize the relay coils. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Then all you would need to do is connect the indicator lamp to the "switched" side of the switch, and it would only illuminate when the switch is on. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Something like this...

[​IMG]

IMHO, the best control setup is to switch the hot (+) and ground all of the commons to a good frame ground. The way you have it should work, but it sounds like the indicators are finding a ground from somewhere.

I don't see where the indicators would have a common source (ground), and since you are switching the common, the indicators would be at +12v until the switch is closed, connecting the common (ground).

Possible that you have a short in the wiring from the relay to the switch? But that would also make the relay enezgize, and turn on the rock/driving lights. Possibe there is a difference in voltage between the battery and the fuse box. That might make the indicators light up when the switch is off. You might try running a fused line from the battery to the indicators to check that.

HMMMMM /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Byron

3. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    problems are as follows: Indicator lights come on whenever they want to. Should turn on when switches complete the ground side of the circuit. Sometimes they do sometimes they are just the opposite. they seem to switch back and forth and kinda do what ever they want... Power is coming from somewhere. What a mess!!!!

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is pretty confusing. What it looks like to me is that according to your drawing your relays have no direct ground. This may be causing a feedback to the switches, which in turn is lighting your indicators. Ground your relays, put your indicator lights in line with your switch leads and ground them.

I think SCJimmy has it drawn out pretty correct.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

opps, i just looked at the indicator light changes and didnt look at the rest of his changes.

the origonal version should work just as well, triggering the ground side

ind lights could be finding a ground back through the relays
    I think you should decide what power you want to trigger the realy with rather then having it pull power through both the fused panel source and the circuit breaker source.

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I guess the only reason I powered the relays from the circuit breakers is because of the fact that they are on the same panel and within 2 inches of each other rather than running power wires from somewhere else it just seemed like the easiest cleanest way at the time. Also is the case on pulling power for the indicator lights. They are on the dash panel and the fuse box is right there. I figured no need to run wires any farther than necessary. Also along that note, if you run ground wires and insulation would happen to rub off, no big prob. In my original schematic it should work. I'm thinking there must be some messed up relays that are not closing and opening the circuit properly. Time to get out the test light and start diggin.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Just had a revelation. I have seen some indicator lights that only worked properly when hooked up in series. I'm betting that is what is going on.