Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anybody have any basic bumper plans / receiver winches

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Mar 24, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

any bumper plan somebody would like to share? I'm looking for some plans that I can modify to start making the plans for my bumpers (front & rear).

what are the con's to a receiver style winch that can be moved front or rear?

2. solowookie

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>The winch will be more powerfull and faster in the front than in the rear because of all the cable you have to run to the rear.

4. solowookie

well one concern is the safety of a receiver style winch; I'm wondering how safe they are, and the strength of a receiver with that much pressure on it. I plan on making the receivers into my bumpers so they are up &amp; out of the way so I get better entrance / departer angles etc.

even if I loose a little power with a winch on the rear that really isn't a big concern.

5. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I'm going to be building my own bumpers with triple receivers in both. A center-in-the-bottom receiver for towing &amp; dual's on the ends of the frame for winch multi-mount &amp;/or snowplow set-up.

Sorry, no plans yet but it'll be simple 2x5 or 2x6 with possible wrap-arounds. The only drawback I can see to a multi-mount is that if you're buying one (like Warn for example); they're usually limited to 9000lbs so your winch size is limited.
    My dual receiver setup should be able to handle much bigger if I want. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. solowookie

yea, but I would be happy with a 9,000 so that really isn't a problem for me. I don't care about mounting a snow plow cuz I have access to a big tractor with a front end loader, and an old dump truck with a plow on it if I need it.

I'm curious why you'd need 3 receiver points for extraction though? I would assume one point in the middle would be sufficient. However, I'm not putting D rings on, but on front &amp; rear I plan on just having a triangular solid piece where I can put a clevis pin through when I need to so I don't have to listen to the D rings rattle all the time.

I will do wrap arounds, but I'm not going to just use just a piece of square tube; it will be a little more then that for looks, but not too much. I want the bumpers as high and tight as possible, and then they will wrap around, and I will cut off all sheet metal that extends below the wrap arounds.

7. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

I've got dual receivers in both my bumpers. I have no where to post pictures, but i can send you them if you like. Only problem with my setup is the winch/cradle weighs alot, but i guarentee it will fail. - Doug

8. solowookie

if you send me pictures that would be great, and if you don't mind I will post the pictures for you; jeff@vtengineering.com.

9. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I just built a double tube bumper but no reciever. If youre interested, Ill get a pic and send it to ya. I also have AutoCad so i could send ya some drawings.

10. solowookie

oh yea, that would be great!

11. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Ill send them to ya when i get home tonight after work.

12. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I sent the AutoCad drawing, Im working on the pics now.

13. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Outlaw, could you CC me on those plans? i *just* priced a set for the K5 and the guys said the START @ $1300.

So i think i will build my own/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

14. solowookie

can you convert these from autocad to an image file like a .jpg or something?

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

JC Whitney sells a reciever hitch for the rear rated at 15,000 lbs. If that's not enough, no hitch will work.

16. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Im not able to get to my computer at home cause Im out of town till Sunday. Ill make the drawing into a jpeg and send it to ya when I get home if yould like.

17. solowookie

thanks /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

18. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I will be back home on Sunday afternoon, I need to put the drawings into a jpeg and then i will send them to you as I need to resend to Jeff also.

19. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hey Solowookie....If you are interested, I can draw up some plans for the bumper I'm fabbin'. Don't know if its the style you are lookin for, but I would be glad to help ya. If ya want. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

20. solowookie

give me a basic description would ya?