Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anybody have any experience with Bernzomatic MAPP welding torch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mr_clean, Dec 29, 2005.

1. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

http://bernzomatic.com/bernzomatic/consumer/jhtml/detail.jhtml?prodId=BernzoProd100044

I have a nice little MIG box for most stuff but every so often I find myself wanting a gas setup for small light jobs (like heating 3/8 rod to fab t-case shifter linkages...:p:)

Possibly for cutting and ocassional welding nothing bigger than 1/8" mild steel...

Any thoughts?

Is this worth $50?
    should I just pass and wait for the $300 Home Depot OA torch setup?
    Or if it ain't Victor it ain't ****

Thanks,

Scott

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

At the very least get Victor compatible.

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

for a lot less then 300 you can buy a nice tourch set up, or i have seen victor knock offs (even said victor stile) for 100 bucks cad, some tanks and you have a good to go tourch, i wouldent be betting that thing would cut much, but if you want to shell out for something to make a bit more heat it will work, all depends on what you will do with it!

4. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the $300 was including a small set of tanks.

I've seen Victor torch and cutter setup for around $170 or so I think, then just add tanks...

I was just wondering if this would be ok for small light weight jobs.

Thanks for the tips!

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Can I borrow 50 bucks??

J/K!!...Nah,don't pay 50 bucks for those Bernzomatic POS..good for soldering copper tubing,I had one and was bitterly dissapointed with it..8 bucks a bottle for oxogen and mapp..I can fill "real" tanks for not much more,and can actually weld or cut something for more than 20 minutes too..

I have a set of those "Porta-Torch" tanks and torches in the plastic "kangaroo pouch"...I did get by with them for 15 years,but it was hell trying to cut anything like U bolts..took a whole bottle of oxogen,and very slow to heat up to cutting temp..I cheated and swapped a 20lb propane bottle on mine instead of mapp gas..worked a bit slower,but they did the job..

I recently got a set of "real" tanks and torches--the full size ones you need a hand truck to move around..its like night and day,I feel they are worth every cent and then some..my friend moved to an apartment,and gave me his setup in trade for helping him move..he has no place to use or put them,so he said I could have them..:laugh:

I was using the ones at the junkyard I worked at a lot,since they were free,and had "demolition" cutting heads that would cut 6+" thick like butter!..but the boss hated seeing it being used on our own vehicles,so I had to use my own small torch set at home..it cost 300 bucks 15 years ago..:doah:

Only thing the smaller ones excelled at was brazing in floors and patches,and heating up bolts..frustrating to cut anything with thicker than 1/8" though..but way better than the "Bernz-O-Matic" thing by far!..still a "tinkertoy" compared to real tank setups..my co-worker called my small setup "jewelers torches"...:crazy:

6. mikayak390

mikayak390 Registered Member

I started with one of them as well. wasted the full tank trying to get the flame right and cut a 3/8 bolt. They suck!!! A nice propane torch is good for heating and little stuff. Get real tanks and a decent torch head. I bought a nice victor compatable from ebay for about 50. Regulators, hose and several tips included. Guy at the welding shop sold me two tanks about 4ft for another $200. (he quietly asked where I bough the torch kit as well, he like it for the price) It works well.

7. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the tips... I will bypass the bernzomatic and wait for a regular torch setup...

Or wait for a friend to move into an appt and give me his...:waytogo: